Posted by marcl 
Re: Medals not points
Date: November 19, 2008 04:19PM
Posted by: gin
Go Alesi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just increase the points differential between 1st
> and 2nd, ie give 1st place 12 points. That will
> increase the incentive to win. Simple.

not when you have to just finish fifth to win the championship :p

Date: November 19, 2008 05:12PM
Posted by: P-ranha
I don't like this idea at all, the chances are the championship will rarely be decided at the final race anymore (having said that I'm not sure how may seasons have gone down to the final race using the current system). I think its just an over-reaction due to Hamilton having less wins than Massa yet still clinching the title this year which I think is ridiculous, if it was a big gap like 6 wins to 1 then maybe yes but I think a difference of only one win really doesnt justify it.

I can't think of many (if any) races this season where having the medals system would have made a difference to the racing - it was closely fought all the way through so I doubt anyone was seriously not going for the win when it was a possiblity (though it was a long season so I might be wrong) except the final race which I certainly didn't find boring. Yeah sure Hamilton played it conservatively and only aimed for 5th place but it almost cost him the title for a second year in a row so that probably wasn't a wise decision in hind sight.

I do agree that a win should be worth a little more though like people have been suggesting. I just don't like the idea that all other results could become worthless as top drivers may end up not bothering risking themselves (engines, penatlies etc) fighting for 4th - 8th places if they find themselves starting low down the field (we have already seen this year McLaren were willing to throw away the WCC to ensure they got the WDC albeit due to a high points deficit but still).
Date: November 19, 2008 05:22PM
Posted by: count.bazley
SAMF1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is similar to A1GP which it reward with
> medals

A1GP uses a points system like most other motorsports. The medals are just their version of the podium trophies.
Date: November 20, 2008 11:25AM
Posted by: casabonka
Sorry for going OT, but Go Alesi, have you got a link to a hi res image of your sig pic? Thats fantastic!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: November 20, 2008 10:58PM
Posted by: BAR#10

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Ecclestone spoke about it couple months before for Croatian TV. It's towards the end of video. If you wanna relive Spa stewards discussion there are some goodies for ya too.

/the medals rule doesn't suit F1,IMO.
//I don't mind if they give them (physical) medals instead of trophies on the podium
///current points system is fine if you ask me
////2nd place is worth 80% of 1st, just like in alpine skiing.

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: November 21, 2008 05:01PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Slavica supposedly hates the idea so much that she's divorcing him.
Date: November 22, 2008 01:56AM
Posted by: vorkez
I have always been a fan of the points system, and this medals thing does definetly seem like a huge waste of time and could be a very destructive thing for F1.

Instead of the 10, 8, 6 rules we have in place now, which seperates the top three major players by two points, which has, like it or not, produced some interesting dynamics to the sport, why not still keep the top 8 finishers but shorten the points to 8, 7, 6 etc.?

To me this would make more sense, I know some will probably shoot the idea down, but I think it might work because it will only seperate one point from the main contenders and consistency and reliability will play more of a factor.

Think about it, if the new system was set in place for 2009, and Hamilton won the opening four GPs, with Felipe 2nd, then Hamilton would have 32 points to Massa's 28. That's only 4 points, but if Hamilton recieved a penalty and dropped to fifth with Massa winning, thats 36 points for Massa and 36 for Hamilton. One mistake and the battle could change hands.

That's how I see it though, and that's just a suggestion, although their could be flaws in my idea, but then again there are flaws in every idea, but I agree with the majority, that medals would be a totally idiotic way to go as this is not the olympics. This is F1.

F1 does not come around every four years, we are here all year. Every year. If Bernie wants an Olympic F1, then he can test these dumb ideas on his F2 project.
Date: November 22, 2008 03:16AM
Posted by: Willb
Medals... What the hell, im sorry but I think thats a ridiculous idea. Why cant Bernie just leave the sport well alone for a season or to, argh I cant wait for him to "retire".

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: November 24, 2008 10:28PM
Posted by: vorkez
Hopefully it will happen very quickly now his ever costly divorce is going through lol :P
Date: November 26, 2008 10:13AM
Posted by: red 5
dunno if this was posted before and I dont care, but it is interesting and worth reading:

it is text how medals would change WDC outcomes in the past, there would be 12 different WDC results

[en.f1-live.com]

Date: November 26, 2008 12:51PM
Posted by: marcl
Well it looks like this will happen now for next year.

[www.autosport.com]

And Jordan says its stupid.

[www.autosport.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 12:54PM by marcl.
Date: November 26, 2008 01:17PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, it is stupid. most teams won't care about the constructors points, so if a driver has an early problem they will just pull out and save the engine

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 26, 2008 03:12PM
Posted by: Ali
I also think is rubbish.

I think an engine has to last 4 races. Imagine a driver who is battling for the championship but it is running in 14th place because of some problem. Does it worth the effort to go for anything? Why not just to retire and think on the next GP with a fresh new engine (it is possible to feak a lot of thinks in the car), because he is not going to get anything valuable of that race.

This would open a lot of new suspicious, reglamentation voids, etc. More problems added to something that was working reasonably well as is the points system. All motor sports use points, Ecclestone want to ruin the stuff.

I have to say that as a fan, I'm a little bit worried with this issue. The midfield and small teams will not get anything from a 4th place...how sad.

Regularity has always been part of the sport. That's why in all sports exist the concept "season", and this medal stuff does not reward the consistency. Why Massa should deserve the title more than Hamilton? Lewis took profit of the system as it is...

Well, enough.
Date: November 26, 2008 03:31PM
Posted by: Bruninho
bullshit. seriously, someone needs to kill bernie. hes destroying the sport.

Date: November 26, 2008 03:43PM
Posted by: Nickv
Maybe it's just me, but his tactics look like Hitlers at the end of the war. He knows it could be over for him any time soon, so he'll try to @#$%& up as much as possible while he still can, thinking that he actually improves the situation while he clearly doesn't.
Date: November 26, 2008 05:10PM
Posted by: Ali
From Ecclestone's interview to Autosport, I picked this:

"...The reason there's no overtaking is nothing to do with the circuit or the people involved, it's to do with the drivers not needing to overtake.

"If you are in the lead and I'm second, I'm not going to take a chance and risk falling off the road or doing something silly to get two more points. If I need to do it to win a gold medal, because the most medals win the world championship, I'm going to do that. I will overtake you."

For someone who has been involved in F1 for so long, it is amazing how ignorant can he be.
F1 is in wrong hands, no doubt.
Date: November 26, 2008 05:51PM
Posted by: chet
I do not understand how this work from 3rd place onwards. Just points?

Let me get this straight.

I can by the old, well current rules have lets say 100points but only won 4 races, so 4 golds. Lewis lets say has 50points and 5 wins so therefore 5 golds. In that case would Lewis therefore be World champion?

If that is the idea and if this does go through I can very much see some big changes comign to F1 in terms of the high posistions. I just can not beleive teams like the idea ( as Bernie says they do ).

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 05:52PM by chet.
Date: November 26, 2008 05:58PM
Posted by: LS.
Doesnt seem fair that driver A can score say 9 silver medals & have a consistent season and driver B 1 gold medal & finish out of the top 3 for rest of the season. and still be WDC if thats how its going to work

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 26, 2008 06:49PM
Bernie Ecclestone insists that his radical idea of Olympic-style medals in Formula 1 will be in place by the 2009 season.

Ecclestone reiterated on Wednesday that drivers will be racing for gold, silver and bronze medals instead of points in Melbourne in March and that next year’s title will go to the driver with the most wins.

The F1 supremo reckons his idea will encourage overtaking, as only wins will determine the championship and there won’t be any benefit in driving conservatively to second or third place.

Ecclestone again claimed he has all the teams behind him on this issue, meaning the change could be ratified by the FIA at the next World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) meeting in December.

"It's going to happen," The Associated Press reported Ecclestone as saying at a press conference in London.

"All the teams are happy.

“The reason this happens is that I get fed up with people talking about no overtaking.

"It's just not on that someone can win the world championship without trying to win the race."

The current ranking system that offers points from first to eighth place was introduced in 2003 after Michael Schumacher dominated the previous year's championship, taking the crown with six races remaining at the French Grand Prix.

In the first season under the current 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 classification, Kimi Raikkonen took the title fight down to the final round with Schumacher, despite only winning one race to the German’s six.

Mike Hawthorn in 1958 and Keke Rosberg in 1982 are the only two drivers to have won a Formula 1 championship with a single victory.

But when asked if it seemed fair that someone could finish second at every race in the season and lose the title to a rival who won at six grands prix but crashed out at the rest, Ecclestone replied: "He'll have to try harder next year."

Ex-team boss Eddie Jordan believes Ecclestone has lost his focus on the real issues facing Formula 1, such as cost-cutting.

"I think they [Ecclestone's proposals] are a nonsense,” he told the BBC.

"I can't possibly believe he's thinking straight, especially on this one.

“His focus must be on cost-cutting and nothing else, the rest is just dressing it up.

Jordan added that he did not see anything wrong with the current points-scoring system and doubts that Ecclestone had secured the full support of all the teams – especially those racing at the back that of the field.

"The points are necessary," he said.

"I was one of the team principals who advocated the points should go down to eighth place because one point is as important to those teams as a win is to McLaren and Ferrari."

"He is tinkering with something on which he has lost the understanding.

“He thinks only wins matter.

"When Hamilton lost the race in Spa and it was given to Massa, can you believe the controversy that would have created?

"There has not been enough thought put into this and for him to say that it comes with the full approval of all the teams - I'm sorry, I just don't believe it."

LS's Tip of the week
Date: November 26, 2008 06:52PM
Its ok Bernie saying that, but what happens when a Ferrari driver moves over and lets his team mate win? & getting that all important final gold medal to win the championship.

That will be ten times as bad as moving over and letting him gain 2 extra points to take the title

LS's Tip of the week
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy