Medals not points

Posted by marcl 
Re: Medals not points
Date: November 18, 2008 04:50PM
Posted by: red 5
I'm not out of touch with reallyti I just preffer the times when the sex was safe and motorracing dangerous, not vice versa.

Date: November 18, 2008 05:30PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Have Bernie and Max been playing a game of "who can come up with the most radical solution for F1"? This is bonkers!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 18, 2008 05:42PM
Posted by: EC83
This seems daft to me. Scrapping the points system is like messing up the sport's DNA. One of the most significant driver stats has always been the number of points scored. It helped put into perspective Prost's greatness and then MS's, not to mention the drivers who held the record before Prost.
It's not a new idea of Bernie's, he was talking about it at least as long ago as 1990(mentioned in the commentary for the 1990 Hungarian GP). If he wants to start a medal system he should go for it by all means, but keep the points system in place too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 05:45PM by EC83.
Date: November 18, 2008 06:11PM
Posted by: Nickv
turkey_machine schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have Bernie and Max been playing a game of "who
> can come up with the most radical solution for
> F1"? This is bonkers!

You have clearly been playing the game of 'how fast can I copy Nicks post?' :P
Date: November 18, 2008 06:21PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Nickv Wrote:
> turkey_machine schreef:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Have Bernie and Max been playing a game of "who
> > can come up with the most radical solution for
> > F1"? This is bonkers!
>
>
> You have clearly been playing the game of 'how
> fast can I copy Nicks post?' :P

You're just jealous, because I haven't read your post. ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 18, 2008 06:24PM
Posted by: LS.
Make all the teams run last years GP2 cars and give the world title to either of the Ferarri drivers.

Simple, keeps Bernie and Max happy :p

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 18, 2008 09:18PM
Posted by: Brianf666
How about a season-ending 'special' race. Keep a points system but start the cars in reverse order to their points tally for the season. Then remove the last car every two or three laps. You'd still have a proper championship but also a great spectale of a finale with a gold medal type result. It would be fun and great for TV audiences. Everyone happy and so what if a few old cars get a bit bent?

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: November 18, 2008 09:55PM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
I really don't see it as that bad of an idea, this will surely make the drivers go all out for first place and there will be no more taking it easy. However I do think that it will be confusing to determine the spots of the drivers out of the podium, but still I don't think it's too bad.
Date: November 18, 2008 10:06PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Medals?

THIS IS F1 NOT OLYMPIC GAMES!!!

omfg... someone seriously need to kill Max & Bernie before they kill F1.

With just 3 drivers being awarded, teams, FACTORY TEAMS i mean, would withdraw from F1 if they fail under this situation.

This isnt going to improve the sport either.

Date: November 18, 2008 10:12PM
Posted by: Guimengo
A simple solution to value the win would be to have the winner get 11 points and 2nd place get 7 points, not 8.
Date: November 18, 2008 10:26PM
Yeah Gui that would change it, hell even 3 points would be better, but still I dont see this as bad an idea as the third-party engine. And the manufacturers will still get the current points system, the medals are only for the drivers.
Date: November 18, 2008 10:46PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Medals? This can't be a serious suggestion, why are mid-table teams going to race if they have to get on the podium to have any chance (Kubica is the perfect example of this)

Date: November 18, 2008 10:56PM
Posted by: gareth
You'd assume that the idea continues right throughout the field - i.e. the complete championship order is decided by who has the most firsts, then seconds, then thirds right down to who has the most 19ths.

Currently where is the incentive if you're running 12th? Why does a 9th count the same as a 18th, i.e. zero points? In Bernie's idea a ninth is better than a tenth is better than an eleventh is better than a twelfth and so on. Finishes outside the current points would have significance.

There's some merit to the idea
Date: November 18, 2008 11:39PM
Posted by: Isaint
It sounds exciting .. would be in favour of anything that prevented the last debarcle of a Championship final .... but, just can't help thinking that someone up there Bernie and co are smokeing some kind of herb ..........
Date: November 19, 2008 12:26AM
Posted by: Stoopid
I believe there are 17 races in the championship next season. What if driver A wins and driver B finishes 2nd in the first 9 races? Under the medal system that would be it, championship over driver A has won. Whereas in the current system driver A could then have a disasterous 2nd half of the season and driver B could win the remainder of the races and therefore the championship! So, who's the better driver? Driver A - 9 wins or Driver B - 8 wins and 9 2nds?

This medal idea is just as ridiculous as the idea to award 1 point to the fastest driver in 2nd qualifying and 2 rear wings with a gap between them!

Stu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 01:06AM by Stoopid.
Date: November 19, 2008 02:12AM
Well I belive that the silver medals are worth something too.
Date: November 19, 2008 02:41AM
Posted by: gareth
ROBITUSSIN JR. Wrote:
> Well I belive that the silver medals are worth
> something too.

Yes, coming second is worth more than coming third, or fourth, or fifth....
Date: November 19, 2008 04:03AM
Posted by: SAMF1
this is similar to A1GP which it reward with medals

Date: November 19, 2008 09:57AM
Posted by: gav
Bruninho Wrote:
> With just 3 drivers being awarded, teams, FACTORY
> TEAMS i mean, would withdraw from F1 if they fail
> under this situation.

According to the article, they're all behind Bernie.

That said, the only places I've looked at all have The Times as the source, so while they're normally a fairly reputable source, I'd hold fire yet. Bernie might just be putting the idea out there to see what sort of a reception it gets.
Date: November 19, 2008 01:46PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Just increase the points differential between 1st and 2nd, ie give 1st place 12 points. That will increase the incentive to win. Simple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy