F1 European Grand Prix: Valencia 2008

Posted by mcdo 
Re: F1 European Grand Prix: Valencia 2008
Date: August 22, 2008 03:52PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
marcl schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could not watch it but is it the case Mclaren
> done their super soft run early in the session?
>
> I dont think any of the times are relevant yet at
> all the fact button is so fast and the fissi.

thats called low fuel.

Date: August 22, 2008 04:05PM
Posted by: Monza972
BUTTON :O:O:O:O!!

Didn't get to see the session due the computer scanning :x!

This is looking good :D:D!
Date: August 22, 2008 04:39PM
Posted by: requenov
Peat Wrote:
> Well, im none to impressed with the circuit. Why
> bill it as a street circuit? it simply isn't.

> There's not even a skyline, or trees, just a vast
> expanse of urban wasteland. It feels more
> middle-east than Mediterranean. And far far far
> far far too much run-off.

It is a street circuit, but at the moment only 2 streets are part of the circuit (at the end of the pit straight). In the next few years that will be the best area to live in Valencia. These 2 projects have won the prix to change the area from an old industrial one to a big park with little rivers and some buildings of 200m height.

Nouvel

GMP

They will mix the park and rivers of the 1st project (Nouvel) with the building of the second project(GMP). More or less like this:

The circuit has been the motive to accelerate the process and also to attract private companies to invest in the area.

Here you have some of the best shots of the area:

These 2 photos have been taken from the bridge, 125m. (there is not an elevator right now, but it will have one in the future)

You can see the circuit inside the red circle and the Agora in the yellow circle.

They have finished the bridge this week and that will be the Agora. The Agora will have inside Tenis Open 500 next year and around 4000 people.

On the left hand side of the Agora is situated the Oceanografic, an aquatic park, very very beatiful.

Finally this is what we had 9 months ago in the street circuit area, an open space full of sh*t, and at least now we have a F1 track.

Edit: Btw i haven't said anything about the circuit. I like it, it's quite fast and wide. The bridge and boxes are really nice. But the curve to get into the bridge is too dangerous, if 2 cars are fighting after the hairpin one of the cars could go directly against the wall because of lack of space. In the bridge does not exist space to get the car away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 04:46PM by requenov.
Date: August 22, 2008 06:17PM
Posted by: flat tyre
That looks very promising, requenov. By the looks of it, after the two projects are finished, many more parts of the circuit will also be used as roads for the streets. Along with the better surroundings, it should feel much more like a street circuit then.

You've got to appreciate what they're doing - a fantastic looking area with a great racing track to boot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 06:18PM by flat tyre.
Date: August 22, 2008 07:33PM
Posted by: james84
Wanna go there!
I love architeture!
Date: August 22, 2008 07:52PM
Posted by: Peat
that project looks fantastic.

Date: August 22, 2008 08:22PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, its good to see that the city has got good plans for the future.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 22, 2008 08:57PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Practice looking good so far! Didnt get to watch it online but nice to see some different drivers at the top of the sheets

Date: August 22, 2008 09:15PM
Posted by: anze89
I like the track, it's like a mix of street circuit (walls close to the track) and a normal circuit (width + run off areas). Maybe there's too much run off areas, but it's OK. The corner after the bridge is great, and also the part after it where the track goes into the same way as the highway next to it is great to watch.

Date: August 22, 2008 09:43PM
Posted by: brunoboi
What a hideous circuit! Absolutely awful. No memorable corners or features (ok the area is being developed but that will take years) it's almost as if the cars were driving around a blank canvas. I hope the race will prove me wrong but this looks like a race whihc will only be remembered for its unmemorablenessitity

The only plus side is the track is real dusty so drivers are making mistakes but even the excitement is taken out of that with the Heathrow style run offs

Date: August 22, 2008 10:03PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
how dangerous was this! thats how good a f1 drivers reactions have to be.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 10:04PM by rapid_f1.
Date: August 22, 2008 10:38PM
Posted by: watercolours
The broadcast was terrible. In FP2 Ferraris had 50+ laps and at least half of them were broadcasted. But I only could see one lap of Lewis and Heikki during FP2 though they also made 50+ laps. Apart from that, the track seems good though not enjoyable in terms of overtaking. And the trackside environment is dull at the moment, so that it doesn't show any beauty -yet-. I hope as the new buildings completed around the track, we will have a better view :)
Date: August 23, 2008 12:21AM
Posted by: marcl
God that was close in that video.

Lewis has also complained about drivers backing off in order to get clear laps.

Alonso was fined for cutting across the white line leaving the pits.

tbh it all feels a bit false at the moment, i am hoping the weekend gets better.

The track will be better when them new building are built.

From all the shots I have seen I did not see either mclaren on the super soft, did they even set a time on them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2008 12:42AM by marcl.
Date: August 23, 2008 01:12AM
Posted by: gav
The best backing off of all was Piquet. He backed off before the last corner in session 2 as there was a car ahead and he wanted a clean lap. The only problem was, the session had finished long before he started backing off. :D

Alonso was fined for crossing the white line entering the pits Marc.

I'll not be seeing the race (and probably not qualifying either) until Tuesday or Wednesday, as I'll be down in Manchester for an REM gig, but I'm really looking forward to it. Despite the large run offs, there's a couple of quick corners where they're really pushing it, and given the green nature of the track, it ought to be good race. GP2 will be good too. Tomorrow afternoon has 'quick, sharp rain' forecast, which might just make for a mixed up grid too.

It won't be an epic race, but it should be good.

The track looks fun to drive. The good camera angles give us spectators a really good impression of speed, though some of it does look a bit samey with the current blandness of the location (as mentioned, that will change). Despite the large run-offs, it appears to be a very demanding track mentally, and with the drivers wrestling the cars so much, perhaps physically to an extent too.

It's one of the better modern tracks in my opinion. It had all the ingredients to be a disaster, but it's worked out well for me.
Date: August 23, 2008 04:14AM
Posted by: Bruninho
brunoboi Wrote:
> What a hideous circuit! Absolutely awful. No
> memorable corners or features (ok the area is
> being developed but that will take years) it's
> almost as if the cars were driving around a blank
> canvas.

I agree.

Its not even a street track, its damn wide and the run offs are bloody big... whats the point of racing there if the run offs are forgiving? It isnt even any close to Monaco, speeds up to 315 kph ffs! They should remove ALL the run offs areas to make it more interesting.

I dont like the track too, seriously i'd rather race in an old classic circuit with history. This track is boring and dull, no fun at all watching the onboards (i had even slept after a couple of onboards in FP!), its full of long straights and hard braking points (bahrain anyone?) and looks like a champ car track. I really hope that it will be a disaster so we dont get to watch this s*** in 2009 too. Singapore is looking like its going to be the same s*** and I dont like night racing.

Architecture? beautiful scenery? Hell, I want to watch a race, I'm a racing fan not a tourist! If you want to see beautiful things... well get a girlfriend, or buy a playboy magazine or if you have money, a ticket for Cirque du Soleil! bah... crap tracks. Even if we had a revamped Jacarepagua Circuit it would be way more interesting than these two crap tracks.

Sepang, Bahrain, Valencia, Singapore, Magny-Cours, Fuji and Shanghai are all crap and boring modern tracks, I can only save Istanbul because of the T8 which is bloody fun to drive and watch.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2008 04:19AM by Bruninho.
Date: August 23, 2008 10:46AM
Posted by: marcl
I saw the replay of alonso last night hum strange as drivers used to do that all the time in Hungry and Nurbering and never got a fine.

Yes sorry though I had only read it on line and thought they meant leaving the pits this must be the 1st time anyone has got a fine entering them.
Date: August 23, 2008 11:16AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Looks like renault are doing that thing again where their times are like 20 odd seconds slower

Date: August 23, 2008 11:27AM
Posted by: chet
Why do they do that?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 23, 2008 11:38AM
Posted by: BAR#10
Bourdais goes p1, 1:39,5xx!STR 1 and 2!
Bravo, Le Seb!

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: August 23, 2008 11:41AM
Posted by: BAR#10
Vettel just 0,013 second faster!

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy