Spanish Grand Prix April 27th

Posted by mcdo 
Spanish Grand Prix April 27th
Date: April 24, 2008 10:48AM
Posted by: mcdo

My turn. It's been 3 weeks and I'm hanging out for a race. FP1's in 18 hrs. Note the spelling error in the pic, 'bumby on entry'. Maybe that's what high speed bumps do to an F1 posterior. Let's hope Massa doesn't 'binby' it. Hoping Kimi reigns, with BMW snapping at his heels.

Go forth and speculate people.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 10:56AM by mortal.
Re: Spanish Grand Prix April 27th
Date: April 24, 2008 10:57AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Goooooo Kimi!

That seems to be all I ever contribute to these threads
Date: April 24, 2008 11:17AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I hardly ever contribute to these threads but anywayz same thing :)

Goooo Kimi!!!!!!!

Date: April 24, 2008 11:27AM
Posted by: red 5
I will miss this one because I will be attending LeMans series at Monza this weekend.

Anyway I think Ferrari has the upper hand for the moment. And BMW is 2 best team. So I predict simmilar outcome to Barhain.

Date: April 24, 2008 11:34AM
Posted by: matt3454
I'll be working sunday afternoon so cant watch this.

Normally not worth watching anyway this race anyway.

Date: April 24, 2008 11:54AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
I think Martin Brundle could win this race.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 24, 2008 11:57AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
The Spanish GP is problematic...I just hope Kimi wins this so I have something to cheer about...cause a Spanish GP with another Massa win would be extremely annoying...sleeping material TBH.
Date: April 24, 2008 12:02PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Well I thought that I could bring something new to the race topics giving my view about the track - well, its a lap driven around there (GTR2 with new chicane) in rFactor in an ISI BMW ;) I may be wrong in what I wrote in certain areas but oh well this is what I thought driving around the track and taking notes :) It was worth a try, I think.

Barcelona - A lap around the spanish classic track

Well... its not a bad track at all; heading to the Elf complex, cars are at around 315 kph, braking hard for it in third gear, sure its a good overtaking point but... we have the dirty air effect problem.

Then the outside tyres will be extremely overloaded around the Renault chicane as the driver will struggle to move from 4th to 5th without understeering there. Same goes for the Repsol but in a slower speed in 3rd gear. At this point of the track, suspension is already a critical point of the car-setup not to wear too fast the tyres.

Another hardbraking point from 6th to 2nd for Seat - a tight, tight, tight corner in 2nd gear - the drivers will have to be careful over the curb on exit unless they have a fairly good rebound damping set-up.

Then they'll go fast towards the corners 7 and 8, again they should rely on their suspension over the curbs to flatten the racing line there as much as possible.

But hey! The critical point of the track and where most of the time can be done: Campsa corner. This proves the point made by the drivers when they say that aero efficiency would be a key for this track. The drivers will try to go flat out as much as possible, in 5th gear, without riding with excessive aggressiveness over the curb on exit - which can upset the balance of the car before it immediately asks for 6th gear. So a car with a good aero set-up to allow the driver to use the maximum possible throttle input there while still going round at the maximum fastest possible is required here. And let's not forget that the outside tyres will be working hard here again.

Now down the following straight that leads to the La Caixa corner - that is fairly similar to Seat but slower and tighter, although not mentioned before, its a decent overtaking spot.

The cars will now move towards the Banc Sabadell corner, now the drivers will need to have a good throttle control around this corner while downshifting from 4th to 3rd.

Then we arrive at the new complex: The Europcar and New Holland complex, with the new chicane. The cars will be entering very fast in third and then they'll have to try not to lose the balance - remember, they dont have engine brake assist anymore - while braking for it and downshift to 2nd gear. Suspension set-up comes into play again as some cars will probably not be avoiding the curbs all the times, so again a lot of effort should be made to find the right rebound damping settings.

(Well, its likely that with the TC ban, a certain Ferrari may be spinning when exiting the new chicane ;) )

Now we finish the lap speeding up through the last corner, getting up to full throttle until the s/f line. The track asphalt is very good, the drivers will be allowed to run a fairly low ride height and given the nature of the track, medium downforce and a soft to medium suspension stiffeness, along with the normal gear ratios.

Best Lap: 1m22s (I know, I suck, but the car wasnt even set-up for a competitive lap ;) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 12:06PM by Bruninho.
Date: April 24, 2008 12:06PM
Posted by: Sapo
iCeMaN pAuL schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Martin Brundle could win this race.

Ah, at least some common sense here between all the "Kimi Ftw".

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: April 24, 2008 12:17PM
Posted by: mcdo
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> I think Martin Brundle could win this race.

Not if J. Allen gets something to screech him off the track about.
Date: April 24, 2008 12:19PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Sapo Wrote:
> iCeMaN pAuL schreef:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think Martin Brundle could win this race.
>
>
> Ah, at least some common sense here between all
> the "Kimi Ftw".

pretty sure nobody said ftw before you but thanks for dropping by

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 12:19PM by MikaHalpinen.
Date: April 24, 2008 12:44PM
Posted by: red 5
Spanish Gp as it once was:

1986 (Miliseconds in jerez)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

1991 (Same actors different movie)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

1996 (Dull but historicly important)

">

2001 (Poor mika)

">

Date: April 24, 2008 02:00PM
Posted by: Shinnbob
Its a nice track, i just cant see any overtaking at all this weekend and thats disapointing. Obviously whoever is fastest in practice and then front row will win, unfortunately Ferrari for me this weekend.

Date: April 24, 2008 02:48PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Well, if there's a track that we need it to rain, this is it. Let's hope it does this time around.
Date: April 24, 2008 04:52PM
Posted by: n00binio
Joe_Satriani schrieb:
> Well, if there's a track that we need it to rain,
> this is it. Let's hope it does this time around.

in today´s newspaper i read that it hasn´t rained properly at barcelona during the last 3 years
Date: April 24, 2008 05:24PM
Posted by: Monza972
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> I hardly ever contribute to these threads but
> anywayz same thing :)
>
> Goooo Kimi!!!!!!!

Same with me lol, Go Kimi and Ferrari too!
Date: April 24, 2008 07:03PM
Posted by: Sapo
That 2001 race with Mika DNF in the last round was terrible, even my mother, father and brother (who barely watched F1 all) where watching and screaming when it happened.

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Date: April 24, 2008 08:44PM
Posted by: vesuvius
should be Kimi vs Massa...quite funny that Felipe has 3 races in a row that suit him perfectly but well Kimi is not bad at barcelona or turkey either so I think it will be Kimi who will have upper hand after the race is over...but in quali it will be tough again.McLaren will be a much better here than they were at bahrain or Malaysia and I think they will beat BMW.

...oh and rain is predicted for quali and race.
Date: April 24, 2008 09:16PM
Posted by: Slash
Go Massa, go and kick some ass!...

people talk about an exciting championship, yet they want to see kimi run away with it... irony, not a fan???
Date: April 25, 2008 04:47AM
Posted by: chet
Anyone else hear Maroon 5 whilst watching the F1 live feed from ITV?

edit - she wiiiiiilllllllll be lovved!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 04:48AM by chet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy