Spanish Grand Prix April 27th

Posted by mcdo 
Re: Spanish Grand Prix April 27th
Date: April 27, 2008 04:48PM
Posted by: elemental
Quote: some brazil fanboy
> Piquet will prove hes worth a F1 seat, at this
> moment hes worth than some idiots that are in F1
> atm (Bourdais, Sutil, DC, Nakajima...)

Maybe granted he may be worth more than Sutil, however DCs been around since 1994 and has won races, that's proof enough, Nakajima has had two points finishes already and even though Bourdais lucked out on some points, he didn't make the stupid mistakes like Piquet has done in pretty much every race (and I despise Bourdais, so it's hardly biased). Piquet has done @#$%& all. He's the one who looks like the idiot at the moment to everyone who isn't blinded by having their head up his ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2008 04:49PM by elemental.
Date: April 27, 2008 05:32PM
Posted by: casabonka
Quote from ITV-f1.com on why Rubens retired;

The car was performing well today so it was especially disappointing that the incident in the pit lane with Fisichella brought my race to an end. From what we can see, it was just one of those unfortunate incidents. The team released me and advised me of traffic, so I stayed out of the fast lane.

Fisichella overtook me and cut into his box clipping my front wing at the same time. I managed to get round the lap with the wing caught under the front of the car but unfortunately the damage caused to the bodywork was too great to continue and I was forced to retire. It's a shame as I could have scored some good points today.
Date: April 27, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: harjinator
gah, fisi, what a plonker...

back to Heikki, if he'd been spinning, (ie a rear failure) he would quite possibly have rolled, because the back of the car would hit the floor and the gravel would have grabbed it. It's quite possible the chassis broke due to the weight of tyres on it really (there's at least 20 on the front of it) and 20 tyres coming down on it at an impact speed of 120+ is not really in the design. The crash tests are against solid walls, not walls which can deflect their reaction force at weird angles, such as tyres

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: April 27, 2008 07:54PM
Posted by: Slash
i once saw on a CART race at Laguna Seca a system that it seemed perfect from my point of view, it was those tyres walls, but one line of tyres separated from each other, so when the car makes the contact with the first tyre wall, it slows it down, and then the contact with the other wall will be minimum instead of stopping it to zero right away, it would need a big run off area, and after an accident like this, a few minutes to put it back together again, but i think is better instead of having serious injuries to some drivers, besides, most of the circuits in F1 have big run off areas at the high speed corners...

on the Piquet incident, i can't see how Bourdais had the fault, and i don't like Bourdais at all, but even if Bourdais had seen him, i doubt Piquet would've made the corner anyway... it was a race to forget for Nelsinho, i'm not going to say the guy is not good enough for F1, because he still have some races to prove himself, but if keeps driving like this, i fail to see him continuing in F1

good Job for Webber and Nakajima, and does anybody knows what strategy was Heikki on? he was the heavier of the top drivers it seems
Date: April 27, 2008 08:18PM
Posted by: casabonka
Id imagine he would've been on the same sort of strategy as Heidfeld.

They really need to scrap the safety car pit-stop rule... 4 races in this year and two drivers races have been ruined (also RB at Melbourne)

Plus to have such a harsh penalty, if anything, I think a drive through would be sufficient, but not a 10 sec penalty
Date: April 27, 2008 09:31PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
i once saw on a CART race at Laguna Seca a system that it seemed perfect from my point of view, it was those tyres walls, but one line of tyres separated from each other, so when the car makes the contact with the first tyre wall, it slows it down, and then the contact with the other wall will be minimum instead of stopping it to zero right away, it would need a big run off area, and after an accident like this, a few minutes to put it back together again, but i think is better instead of having serious injuries to some drivers, besides, most of the circuits in F1 have big run off areas at the high speed corners...

This system is still used at some circuits. Mid Ohio and Virginia Int Raceway both use this system for certain events. VIR for Grand Am for example.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 27, 2008 10:45PM
Posted by: aims20
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... VIR for Grand Am for example.

I was there this past weekend ;)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:48PM
Posted by: marcl
why dont they use the irl idea that you can get fuel only until the pit lane is open?
Date: April 28, 2008 01:04AM
Posted by: IWE
SexySam182 Wrote:
> his (still miles behind Nando) quali postion

Wich were thanks to totally differentkind amount of fuel.. And who knows whatkind risks Renault were taking with engine of Alonso.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: April 28, 2008 02:53AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Alonso wasn't that light. He was only 2 laps lighter than Massa, so if you think about it, Renault are a lot better.
Date: April 28, 2008 03:16AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
...around Barcelona at least...

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: April 28, 2008 04:14AM
Posted by: SAMF1
nelson piquet??

Date: April 28, 2008 05:29AM
Posted by: marcl
yes and yu think about how heavy lewis, Kovy and Kubica were there quali laps were even more impresive.
Date: April 28, 2008 07:34AM
aims20 Wrote:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >... VIR for Grand Am for example.
>
> I was there this past weekend ;)

Was it as impressive as this finish?

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 28, 2008 07:59AM
Posted by: mcdo
marcl Wrote:
> For lewis it was caused be a loose wheel this was
> not and it has happened in the past that a stone
> has caused this time of problem. For Senna in
> Imola 1990 it was with the rear tyre but it has
> happened to other people.
>
> Was it not mika that had a wheel problem that
> caused his crash in Australia that year?

I read a quote, apparently from a McLaren official (albeit in a crappy, read it on the train and leave it where you found it publication) that debris had "machined the rim" off the wheel and maybe ripped through the tyre.
Date: April 28, 2008 08:14AM
Posted by: vesuvius
marcl Wrote:
> yes and yu think about how heavy lewis, Kovy and
> Kubica were there quali laps were even more
> impresive.

well eh Lewis and Kubica where 1 lap (stopped on lap 21) heavier than Kimi(stopped onlap 20) so ...Kimi's qualilap was better than their :) about Heikki's quali time was amazing with that fuel load, but why on earth did McLaren again fuelled him that much :s...and Alonso was actually 3 laps lighter than Massa not 2 like some people here have said.

pitstops:

Alonso lap 16
Massa lap 19
Kimi lap 20
Hamilton and Kubica lap 21
according to Withmarsh Heikki would have stopped on lap 25 :

"His misfortune overshadowed the event, but people shouldn't overlook the quality of his performance. He had still to pit for fuel at the time of the accident and wasn't due to come in for a few more laps yet. That gives you some idea of the fuel load he was carrying during qualifying, when he did an absolutely fantastic lap."

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 08:34AM by vesuvius.
Date: April 28, 2008 08:49AM
Posted by: mcdo
> Need I remind you about your recent comments about
> judging drivers despite your own lack of
> achievement?

Out of interest, what are yours?
Date: April 28, 2008 08:54AM
Posted by: chet
Just a point about Honda... It was clear the car got quicker and quicker as the race went on... and JB at end just wanting to see how quick he could go and got his fastest lap.

Almost seems a complete opposite of the old days when the car would just drop back... I am looking forward to Turkey, JB runs quite well there and like he said its a smoother surface, so the pace should be quicker than Barcelona.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 28, 2008 09:03AM
Posted by: dada
OMG .... A true miracle

Date: April 28, 2008 09:15AM
Date: April 28, 2008 06:49AM
Posted by: mcdo (IP Logged)

> Need I remind you about your recent comments about
> judging drivers despite your own lack of
> achievement?

Out of interest, what are yours?

Congratulations on falling into the same trap as our resident trolls. Whilst I would not put you into the same category as these members (and I use that word quite loosely), I suggest you read these comments posted by the trolls before asking anybody else there achievements. Don't mistake my post for someone who has actually archived something in motorsports, but rather take it in context with the discussion I was referring to in my post, which I assuming you have not read. As I already stated, I am not the one suggesting that you should not judge F1 stars if your own achievements in the sport is low - I am just calling out the ones who say that, then chose to judge F1 stars. Do not fall into the same trap as them. You will be called out on double standards.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 09:17AM by DaveEllis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy