Bahrain Grand Prix 6th April ***SPOILERS***

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Re: Bahrain Grand Prix 6th April ***SPOILERS***
Date: April 06, 2008 06:15PM
Posted by: mikef1
To be fair Fernando has brake tested a couple or drivers in the past during practice but today he did nothing wrong. However the media and sadly that includes Martin Brundle of all people, jumped at the notion that Fernando would be prepared to totally wreck his own race just to get one over Lewis.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:31PM
Posted by: marcl
Never said there was any only went on what dc and others said at the time, just seemed strange that 1 lap before he did not brake that early tyres must wear alot in 1 lap :).

I also suppose he did not brake in Hungry? worn tyres maybe?

Anyway I have said I was wrong lewis has said they both went right at the same time. But please alonso fans never mention that block ms done at silverstone again or the block ms done on jpm as its ok to move the same way as the person behind after they moved and their front wing is near enough level with there rear tyre. In moved like this either they crash or the driver behind brakes if there is time.

Also dont moan when lewis or anyone does a start and cuts across the track as again this is 100% ok.

Anyway enough now. I have said i got it wrong and sorry.

Seems like lewis is making the errors people expected last year this year. I dont think the mclaren this year is a wining car anyway at the moment. They won the 1st race but ferrari under performed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 06:32PM by marcl.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:33PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
"Oh yes, Fernando obviously brake tested Lewis there"

"That was clearly Fernando's fault"

"I hope there's an investigation about this".

Any why would he do that, exactly? I mean it couldn't possibly be that Lewis got a shite start and was trying too hard to get back, got a faster exit from the corner thanks to the Mclaren's vastly better acceleration and straight-line speed, and Alonso's defensive line out the corner, and simply cannoned into the back of Alonso's car. No, that would be preposterous, because then you would have to broadcast in front of a million people watching that Lewis Hamilton made a mistake. Again.

Come on boys, keep your toys in the pram. Whenever anything happens, always someone else's fault.

Hopefully when BBC get the coverage next year we will start seeing F1 again and not the Lewis Hamilton show. Ridiculous.

Good race though. Kubica will win shortly, it just has to happen. How crap are Super Aguri this year??? Miles off the pace.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:33PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
RonnyF1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't seem to understand why Kimi fan boys are
> so biased. It's like they HAVE to bash all of his
> teammates and give excuses to everything. Be more
> reasonable guys, kimi is fast (yeah we know) but
> not the absolute best, it's ok if he doesn't win
> all races, you don't have to make it up for him
> throwing stuff like "Massa would do a fast lap in
> one spot and then a slower one after, making for
> very inconsistent racing. Kimi and Kubica were a
> lot steadier than him..".. honestly who cares? he
> won the race, thats all that matters.
>
> IMO I think that eventually Kimi will win the
> championship this year but it's just oh so
> annoying when you (kimi fan boys) say stuff like
> "Kimi had obviously more fuel in qualifying than X
> teammate", "Kimi backed off after 2 laps to cool
> down the engine", "Kimi pulled the fastest lap of
> the race with 2 laps remaining so he's the best
> driver in the world" "Kimi's X teammate is
> horrible".
>
> Nothing personally against you Satriani (just took
> your comment as example), I do agree with the rest
> of your comments.

No offense taken. I see maybe you don't really care for consistency, but his style of driving and winning races is not something I really like. And you also don't have the same broadcast situation I have. I don't know where you live, but you surely has heard the guys here complaining about the Hamilton fest that ITV is. Imagine that, but now towards Massa and multiplied. It's that annoying. TV Globo and its commentators continually categorize him as someone of the same caliber as Ayrton Senna. It just irritates me a lot.

And yeah, I'm a Kimi fan. I guess the excuses are just part of being a fan. You don't want to see your favorite driver having a bad race. But then, I don't like when people come in and say driver X had a crap race when he in fact didn't. Kimi had a bad race in Australia, but in Malaysia and Bahrain he didn't, and Massa didn't have such a fantastic race IMO. He just did what should be expected of a Ferrari driver that is starting from 2nd with a BMW in front of him. A good race, but it wasn't the drive of the day IMO.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:37PM
I have heard this in the past that kimi will lap, lap after lap at the same speed where massa 2 quick lap 3 slow 5 fast etc.

1st race though massa has won not starting from pole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 06:38PM by marcl.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:41PM
Posted by: gav
loque Wrote:
> Hopefully when BBC get the coverage next year we
> will start seeing F1 again and not the Lewis
> Hamilton show. Ridiculous.

ITV's been infinitely better regarding the 'Lewis Hamilton and F1 friends" show since they didn't take up their option, and it's credit to them for that.

The BBC are going to be much worse from what I've seen. BBC website headline: "Massa wins as Hamilton stumbles", and it's been like that and worse for a 8 months now.

Still, it could be worse still - the tabloid press are atrocious. The Mirror is horrendous for Hamilton fanboyism. After he crashed on Friday it was described as a "horror crash" from which he had a "miracle escape". I normally love to laugh at things like that, but it's gone far past that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 06:42PM by gav.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:44PM
Yeah and after sepang the head line was hamilton fights dehidration after water bottle breaks lol.

Tbh i never look at the bbc website as all the cover well in sport is football and rugby.

Gav sorry about before i just got to hot headed, as normal lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 06:45PM by marcl.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:46PM
marcl Wrote:
> 1st race though massa has won not starting from
> pole.

True, though he didn't really have to pass anyone on track. Kubica's start wasn't that good. Would've been interesting to see what Massa would've done had he stayed second after the first corner.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:47PM
Its quite interesting really most people seemed to get a good start off the dirty side.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:49PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
I must admit I got it wrong when I said Kimi was gonna be heavier than Massa. Kimi had no answer at all for Massa today.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: April 06, 2008 06:54PM
marcl Wrote:
> Its quite interesting really most people seemed to
> get a good start off the dirty side.

From what I understand, the whole clean and dirty sides at Bahrain don't matter much, cause of the sandstorms every night. You could see the pace of everyone improving as the race went on, while on other tracks things are more steady. So, I guess it was really up to the pilot to have a good start.
Date: April 06, 2008 06:56PM
Same as last year kimi had no answer to massa here either yet in testing he was alot faster.
Date: April 06, 2008 07:04PM
Posted by: gav
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> I must admit I got it wrong when I said Kimi was
> gonna be heavier than Massa. Kimi had no answer at
> all for Massa today.

Same. I even went as far as saying "clearly Kimi is heavier", but it seems it was just a great performance by Massa. That's 2 consecutive storming qually laps from him. Not a fan of him at all (don't particularly dislike him though), but credit is due and all that - he was simply better than Kimi.
Date: April 06, 2008 07:22PM
yes his sepang pole was particularly stunning beating kimi by 4 tenths i think.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: April 06, 2008 08:22PM
Just to totally bury the brake test rumours:

Fernando Alonso and his Renault team have rubbished any suggestions that he 'brake tested' Lewis Hamilton prior to their collision in the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Hamilton ran into the back of Alonso as they came out of Turn Three on lap two, and there had been suspicions from some that the Briton may have been a victim of a lift off the throttle by his former teammate.

But Alonso has insisted that he does not know why Hamilton hit the back of him, and said there was no case of him employing dirty tactics.

"I think we were running too close and for sure maybe he didn't realise how close we were," said Alonso. "He jumped into my rear wing. I am sure on the first couple of laps, if you are eighth or ninth, you try to recover places too quickly."

When asked about the speculation of a brake test, Alonso said: "Well, Pat Symonds told me now that rumour, and he has printed now the data to show everybody. It is totally rubbish, but what can I do?"

Autosport.com has seen the telemetry data of Alonso's exit from the first corner, and it shows that the Spaniard was flat on the throttle from the exit, did not touch the brake and gained speed in a totally predictable manner.

Symonds, who is Renault's executive director of engineering, said that Alonso had done nothing to contribute to the accident.

"Fernando was coming out of the turn and accelerating down the straight," explained Symonds. "He reached fifth gear, at 227km/h, on full throttle, no touching of the brakes or anything like that. And you can see on the accelerometer the impact. He got hit from behind.

"I think all I can say from our side is that there is no blame attributable to Fernando, which is what some of the speculation might be. But it does say we are not getting onto the straights very well, we are suffering a bit with traction, engine speed and engine torque."

When asked about the view of some experts in the paddock who believed it could have been a brake test, Symonds said: "Well, they are not as expert as they think then. We have the data and there is nothing untoward there. You don't need to be an expert to see that."

[www.autosport.com]

I know Martin and James have to commentate on what they see but they should both apologise to Alonso I think, although Martin did say he wanted to see it again.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 08:25PM by rapid_f1.
Date: April 06, 2008 08:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Lewis Hamilton apologised to his McLaren team for letting them down after what the Briton said it was a disastrous Bahrain Grand Prix.

Hamilton, starting from fourth place, went on to finish in 13th position after a dismal opening lap.

The McLaren driver lost several places at the start after his anti-stall system kicked in following a mistake on his part.

When trying to recover, the Briton crashed into the back of Fernando Alonso, losing his front wing.

Hamilton felt he had let his team down, but vowed to move on and bounce back in the next race.

"It was a disaster," Hamilton said after the race. "It was a very poor performance and I sort of let the team down today. It sort of went bad from the beginning, but I'll keep my chin up and move on and bounce back in the next race."

He added: "As a professional if you start off bad you need to sort of pick the pieces up and still deliver at least some points. I did none of that for the team.

"I had the crash with Fernando which really lost us the race altogether. I'm always the first to blame myself and I feel that's the right way to go."

Hamilton also played down suggestions that Alonso had brake-tested him when the two made contact.

"I have no idea. I was behind him I went to move to the right and he went to move to the right as well and I ended up on the back somehow. It's racing," he said.

The British driver dropped from first to third in the standings, just like his McLaren team, who are not behind BMW and Ferrari.

Hamilton, however, admitted he was not worried about the situation, as he reckons the team still have the pace to fight for wins.

"It's not a huge concern for me, to be honest," he added. "I think we've got the pace, and I know in the next race we will be quite a bit quicker than we were here this weekend. So the confidence is still there.

"It was inevitable that this was going to happen eventually. I had such a good run in Formula One and this is all part of it. But there's still a long way to go. Don't count me out just yet."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 06, 2008 08:34PM
Posted by: requenov
marcl Wrote:

> Also dont moan when lewis or anyone does a start
> and cuts across the track as again this is 100%
> ok.

Do you really believe what you are saying???

Do you think it's the same to move 2 or 3 times in a straight than to close the door moving only once?

And the myth of Nurburgring doing the brake test to Coulthard is false, I'm sure you dont remember that the same day of the GP, Renault showed telemetry to stewards and they could see that FA braked in the same place in last 4/5 laps cause he had problems in the car. That's the reason he was not punished later, like has happened today.

He braked tested in Hungary 2006, I dont have problems to say it. But THAT WAS NOT THE RACE, he has never brake tested during a race. That was a Free practice session, quite a different thing if you know what competition really is. He thought that was the best thing to reprimand another driver (bad way to do it) but that is quite diffent to punish a driver during a race brake testing.

Edit: Q&A with Fernando Alonso
[www.autosport.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 08:59PM by requenov.
Date: April 06, 2008 09:06PM
requenov

Ignore what i said i applogise to u. I have critised lewis when he used to do that.

But tbh it makes no difference in a race or practice brake testing should not be done.

I was to fast at jumping on what has happened in the past thats all I guess it was the same with ITV. I was wrong and i admit i was wrong.

Lets leave it there and move on.

That was really the only talking point of the gp though there was bugger all else. As I said before lewis is making the mistakes people expected last year. Like Massa he needs to sort it out 2 not very good gps, ok sepang was not his fault but he was not on the pace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 09:07PM by marcl.
Date: April 06, 2008 09:19PM
I find it interesting all this discussion, cause when I saw it on TV I didn't think it was a big deal...just looked like Lewis was a bit optimistic going into that corner. Didn't think it would cause such an uproar, hehe.
Date: April 06, 2008 09:26PM
Posted by: Slash
blaming Alonso to cover Lewis mistake is soo low... those commentators should really apologize
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy