2008 Season

Posted by Frantic 
Re: 2008 Season
Date: December 02, 2007 06:07PM
Posted by: Frantic
Thats true, imagine if the Kubica´s accident happened in 1982, for example...

@gav: I know that there are more spins than accidents in 1994, I post that because i readed in a magazine ;). But the 70s cars were difficult for driving, I don´t know the 80s because in that time appeared new tech.

Date: December 02, 2007 09:05PM
Posted by: gav
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the 70s cars were difficult for driving

Difficult in what way?
Date: December 02, 2007 09:27PM
All points of view, for me. Manual Gearbox, the cluch was a pedal, no TC, no driving aids, less security: if you have an accident at high speed you probably die for the circuit layouts, or your car start burn, or like Tom Pryce, he crashed with a guy in the track and he died because a head injure...

Date: December 02, 2007 10:05PM
Posted by: Nickv
If the Tom Pryce accident happened today, the driver would suffer major head injuries too.
Date: December 02, 2007 10:23PM
Posted by: gav
If you get hit in the head by a fire extinguisher, you're going to die. It doesn't make much difference how advanced the helmet design is.

The difference between a 70s F1 car and a modern F1 car is that Joe Public could drive a 70s one. Everything was the same, just more grip higher, more power and a bit cumbersome at low speeds. Journalists often drove the cars in promotional stunts. Not that hard to drive...

Regarding the safety, that's a bit of a non-entity. We're discussing traction control, not how many tracks had efficient gravel traps.
Date: December 03, 2007 05:19PM
So what?

Date: December 03, 2007 05:23PM
So you're wrong.
Date: December 03, 2007 07:03PM
Posted by: laurent
No TC will in no way cause severe accidents.

This is because the lack of TC will only cause difficulties at lower speeds, where there is no risk at all these days.

Maybe when it rains its another problem... but to me, it seems TC didn't help alot neither (Alonso in Fuji?)
Date: December 04, 2007 08:04PM
Thats true

In fact, i said accidents because if one car spins, for example, in the Belgium´s La Source, and other crashes with him, and other, and other, imagine the accidents. Doesen´t anybody the 1998 Belgium GP?

Date: December 04, 2007 08:06PM
If that would happen then all the drivers involved in it should be kicked out of F1 because they aren't F1 worthy.
Date: December 04, 2007 09:55PM
No, if one car cross all the track, and other crash with him, and it is the 1st lap, what can you do??

Date: December 04, 2007 10:02PM
First lap makes things different, but the Blegium 98 crash you're bringing up was a very rare occasion which had nothing to do with TC. DC presumeably clipped the white line which caused him to spin. Alonso clipped the white line IIRC in Fuji. He had TC.
Date: December 04, 2007 10:07PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I think what Frantic's saying would only really happen if it was wet, like Belgium 98. It would mean that they would only see the crash at the last minute, and it would be too slippery to get out of the way in time.

I think the main problem the lack of TC will cause will be when cars rev too much on the exit of a corner and spin. But the other cars would be travelling slowly enough to get out of the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: December 05, 2007 10:02AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
If when exiting a corner you rev out too much and spin, then you are a crap driver.
Date: December 05, 2007 10:37AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats true
>
> In fact, i said accidents because if one car
> spins, for example, in the Belgium´s La Source,
> and other crashes with him, and other, and other,
> imagine the accidents. Doesen´t anybody the 1998
> Belgium GP?

Yes I remember it. It's happened once, maybe twice in the history of F1. Stop trying to use one-off accidents as a majority example. Not that it matters because as I've stated several times that accident was not caused by the lack of TC, it was caused by DC cutting over the front of Eddie Irvine, as commentated on by Eddie on the UK show TFI Friday some months later.

Since you mentioned Belgium 98 I assume you watched F1 before the traction control ban. How many large accidents can you name which were caused as a direct result of lack of traction control between 1990 and 2000?

If I am wrong, and you weren't watching F1 before the TC ban, then go do some research on the topic.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 05, 2007 07:01PM
Im born in 1994 so I´m going to buy all the F1 videos since 94-97 ;)

Date: December 09, 2007 12:36PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Nico officially confirmed at Williams: Click

(I know his name's already on the first page, but just so you know he won't be going to McLaren)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: December 09, 2007 01:23PM
Isn't this the third time now he's been confirmed?
Date: December 09, 2007 01:47PM
Posted by: marcl
He has signed until 2010 not that makes a big difference these days just means someone will have to buy him from williams if they want him.

About TC I think its great to ban it will make the start of races better as drivers will have to start with their skill and not software. Plus in the rain it will show true skill of the drivers.
Date: December 09, 2007 01:49PM
I can't wait to see clouds of smoke at the start again :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy