suspended mclaren employee is mike coughlan

Posted by f1fan17 
If McLaren get docked points, then I never ever support Ferrari again (except for Kimi). The FIA always seem to favour Ferrari so Ferrari get easy points and championships with no penalty. Think of all the things that Ferrari and Schumacher have done that puts the whole sport into jeopardy and the FIA seemed to turn their back. Austria '02, Indy '05, "The Movable Floor" and now this. It is Stepney's fault for giving the stuff to Coughlan and he should be penalised.

I think that McLaren will only get fined 1 million Euros and Ferrari will get away with it again.
Re: suspended mclaren employee is mike coughlan
Date: July 26, 2007 10:00AM
Posted by: marcl
I must admit if mclaren do get banned I will probably not watch the rest of the year as there would be no point really as ferrari would just win every race and the championship.

They do seem to be blaming everyone else for not leading this year apart from themselves. Ferrari lost a load of time with a wind tunnel problem this is what put them behind mclaren for a few races.

Info is still being leaked to the press etc so someone at ferrari is doing this, yes we all know someone at mclaren has the plans, but its now ferrari leaking info that is adding fuel to the fire.

I hope we find out today, but no doubt if anything happens to mclaren they will appeal so we will still not know what will happen.

If the FIA can prove the plans were used to help mclaren then I will support the verdict 100% but I still think the whole thing is so dodgy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2007 10:08AM by marcl.
Date: July 26, 2007 10:11AM
Posted by: Nickv
super__alonso schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If McLaren get docked points, then I never ever
> support Ferrari again (except for Kimi). The FIA
> always seem to favour Ferrari so Ferrari get easy
> points and championships with no penalty. Think of
> all the things that Ferrari and Schumacher have
> done that puts the whole sport into jeopardy and
> the FIA seemed to turn their back. Austria '02,
> Indy '05, "The Movable Floor" and now this. It is
> Stepney's fault for giving the stuff to Coughlan
> and he should be penalised.
>
> I think that McLaren will only get fined 1 million
> Euros and Ferrari will get away with it again.

Of course Ferrari will get away with it, they didn't do anything...
Date: July 26, 2007 10:31AM
Seems like most of the case will be about how mclaren knew about the ferrari floor.

Mclaren could not mention the floor until the ferrari had taken part in an offical grand prix weekend practise session.

If you remember Spkyer could not appeal against str for example until the car had been used in a gp.

Teams could not complain about the sauber until it had been used.

Mclaren did not just mention ferrari, they also mentioned BMW.

I also want to know why toyota were not called infront of the FIA or Spyker.

Ferrari have done nothing wrong from what we know, apart from Stepney saying they have set him up. He said he never sent Mike an email and tbh working in IT anyone in ferrari could have sent an email from stepney's email account, and would Stepney have been that stupid to use his ferrari email account.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2007 10:33AM by marcl.
Date: July 26, 2007 03:49PM
Posted by: Muks_C
super__alonso Wrote:
> If McLaren get docked points, then I never ever
> support Ferrari again (except for Kimi). The FIA
> always seem to favour Ferrari so Ferrari get easy
> points and championships with no penalty. Think of
> all the things that Ferrari and Schumacher have
> done that puts the whole sport into jeopardy and
> the FIA seemed to turn their back. Austria '02,
> Indy '05, "The Movable Floor" and now this. It is
> Stepney's fault for giving the stuff to Coughlan
> and he should be penalised.

for fecks sake, they did get punished for the podium antics at Austria '02, you're not allowed to stand on the wrong step. they didn't get punished for the team orders because there wasn't a rule banning it at that point in history.

and why should Ferrari be punished for Indy '05? it was Michelin that brought the wrong tyres and told their own teams that they could not race. even if Ferrari and the FIA had allowed a chicane to be built, MICHELIN told the teams using their tyres that they COULD NOT RACE.

some people just ignore the facts and make up their own stories to suit their own arguments.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 26, 2007 04:02PM
The FIA World Motor Sport Council have found McLaren guilty of possession of unauthorised Ferrari documents, but with no evidence that the team had made use of the information, the governing body elected not to punish McLaren for now.

The WMSC said, however, that if in the future evidence would be found to show that McLaren had used the information, they will be called back and face severe penalties, including exclusion from the world championship.

The full verdict and more details to follow...
Date: July 26, 2007 04:04PM
great news, let's hope it ends here and we can focus on the great title race for the rest of the season.

Date: July 26, 2007 04:05PM
Lets hope ferrari leave it there I have a funny feeling that wont be the end of it.
Date: July 26, 2007 04:09PM
Posted by: tripleM
Gee, and how exactly is it possible for Ferrari to prove that McLaren used the information?

Date: July 26, 2007 04:11PM
It would not have got this far surly if ferrari did not think that.

Ferrari gave a statement this morning saying the only reason why mclaren are ahead of them is due to the plans being used.
Date: July 26, 2007 04:16PM
"It would not have got this far surly if ferrari did not think that."

Haug stated that it was McLaren that asked the FIA to look into the matter.

"Ferrari gave a statement this morning saying the only reason why mclaren are ahead of them is due to the plans being used."

You mean

"The difference between the two teams [in the world championship standings] is so close that it is likely that McLaren's superior number of points is a consequence of its chief designer having the Ferrari documents"

Date: July 26, 2007 04:21PM
I was refuring to this bit

"Ferrari are adamant the information Coughlan obtained unlawfully benefited McLaren"

Mclaren asked the FIA to investigate yes, but I doubt they ever thought it would end up in a hearing so there must have been more info somewhere to get that far.

Anyway I hope its the end of it now, all I was saying was I doubt it.
Date: July 26, 2007 04:27PM
Posted by: mikef1
Good news for racing fans and the championship but i'm sure that Ferrari won't let this be the end of it. I'm sure we'll be hearing more allegations and accusations before the year is out.

I'm sure the hard core Ferrari fanatics are seething about the decision though! ;)
Date: July 26, 2007 04:34PM
To be honest they do have every right to we would be the same had it been the other way. If though the FIA banned mclaren they would have had to ban toyota and spyker and both them teams also had plans from other teams.

A few mates were saying about the floor thing, ferrari would have had to explain about how the floor worked and would have given the fia info that infact they did race with an illegal floor and won with it. So they probably did not go down the route of asking how mclaren new about the floor.

We will probably get the statements from the teams later.
Date: July 26, 2007 04:48PM
a correct ruling should have been to force mclaren to provide their blueprints, and ferrari to swear they will not use them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2007 04:48PM by tripleM.
Date: July 26, 2007 04:48PM
if anything from this comes out in the future, McLaren could be thrown out for '07 and '08, according to ITV.

Date: July 26, 2007 04:54PM
Posted by: dkpioe
common sense. it was a ferrari man who stole the data, not ferrari. so the ferrari guy should get banned, and ferrari should repay all legal costs to mclaren and be sued for defamation.
Date: July 26, 2007 05:22PM
nice attempt to pass the buck

Date: July 26, 2007 06:43PM
Wonder if McLaren hardcore fanatics are seething about the verdict that shows that their team is guilty of possession of unauthorised Ferrari documents worth over 5.5 million Euro ;)

Date: July 26, 2007 06:44PM
Posted by: gav
tripleM Wrote:
> a correct ruling should have been to force mclaren
> to provide their blueprints, and ferrari to swear
> they will not use them.

That really wouldn't have worked.

1) Even if Ferrari wouldn't use them pro actively, they'd be aware of the designs, and even subconciously could include them in future developments.

2) I'm 100% McLaren wouldn't have used any of the designs yet. The cars are so different and finely balanced you can't just bolt new or different parts on which have been developed by a 3rd party for an entirely different project. If there was any benefit to be had (and obviously there are areas in design in which both teams are better than the other), it would take months for those parts to be integrated into their own designs. Most couldn't even be included until the next chassis, which in most cases will be next years cars, being designed now.

3) The dossier supposedly didn't include only designs, but also practices and management ideas. Systems which Ferrari used to go about specific processes. Blue-prints are no use then. I'd say these practices were of more concern than the designs and technical data to be honest, as the designs will have been out of date by the time Coughlan got his hands on them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy