suspended mclaren employee is mike coughlan

Posted by f1fan17 
Re: suspended mclaren employee is mike coughlan
Date: July 13, 2007 08:21PM
Posted by: Slash
well, actually in 1998 was the introduction of the grooved tyres, and the resurrection of mclaren, but they went to Michelin in 2002, i don't think mclaren competitiveness this year is down to those plans, it'll take them more than a year to redesign the whole car, and like you said before, it's not like mclaren are Toyota or Honda, Mclaren's been a competitive team sicne i can remember

we will know the truth very soon, i laugh at comments of people saying the FIA is biased and they want to dq Mclaren to let Ferrari win, the truth is that FIA must know something, to charge a team of such things like Mclaren with the reputation it has, and the power it has in F-1, and Mclaren's response was that they'll cooperate... i think is just common sence to think something big is coming, i just hope they don't get dq for the rest of the year
Date: July 13, 2007 08:48PM
Posted by: marcl
BAR had their best year ever when they switched to michelins.

People who say mclaren adapted fast to the new tyres cause they had the ferrari plans are wrong. Look at the differences in the cars the mclaren short wheel base ferrari long you could not get much more of a difference.

Also the mclaren susspension is totally different.
Date: July 13, 2007 09:33PM
Posted by: chet
Mclarens speed is down to that they had much to learn and learnt it quick.

Ferrari had the least to learn with the tyres so the performance they could gain from them was minimal, where is with Mclaren, the tyres were priority number1 because the possible performance gain was HUGE. Ferraris performance with the tyres would come to a maximum alot sooner than Mclarens.

simple.

As it happened, the fastest Michelin runner were the Mclarens from day1 of testing the 07 tyres. As BAR were the fastest michelin runner in 04 from their switch.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 14, 2007 08:42AM
Posted by: Red_Bull
The Bridgestone tyres used this year are very different to the previous generation. In fact, I'm told they're alot like the 2001 generation of tyres, which McLaren used that year. The tyres weren't designed around the Ferrari F2007, so they also had to make changes. McLaren are a big organisation with some very clever people.

BMW haven't really struggled to change over. Renault have, but only because their suspension was designed by Michelin for Michelin. Besides, the fundamentals of the Mp4-22 were finalised well before the Ferrari documents were leaked. You can't go and copy Ferrari's layout as it wouldn't work. Every team acknowledges that its the easiest thing in the world to go and exactly copy someone else's design, but it won't work because it wasn't specifically designed for their car.

Date: July 14, 2007 09:45AM
Posted by: tripleM
It's not a question of copying a design but rather a question of possibly knowing very accurately what you're up against.

Such as having real data and not estimated for any simulations.

Date: July 14, 2007 11:11AM
I think if the plans were used it would have been to work out the ferrari weakness rather than copy the design.
Date: July 14, 2007 06:15PM
Posted by: Muks_C
i thought these tyres were similar to the 2004 tyres.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 14, 2007 07:01PM
Posted by: MarcLister
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think if the plans were used it would have been
> to work out the ferrari weakness rather than copy
> the design.

I was thinking that earlier. McLaren could have just analysed the Ferrari data to see any weaknesses and thus made sure those weaknesses weren't in the McLaren. They could also have seen where the Ferrari was strong and countered that, by using their own designs.
Date: July 14, 2007 08:43PM
Posted by: chet
Muks_C Wrote:
> i thought these tyres were similar to the 2004
> tyres.

apparently they are... and yet still after 3 years of development the 04 cars are still quicker.

shows how pitch sensitive f1 cars have become.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 14, 2007 08:49PM
They have 4/5 of the 2004 engine displacement

Date: July 14, 2007 09:50PM
it's not really a surprise that the '04 cars are quicker than todays cars, Chet. the tyres are only similar in terms of design and construction philosophy (i.e. they're made to be used for 20-or-so laps, as opposed to a full race and qually session like the '05/'06 tyres), but of course the grip level has been reduced to slow the cars down (well, to make sure they don't go any faster as they naturally will do when tech regs stay the same).

the tyres during '04 were on the very edge of grip and performance because both manufacturers pushed all the boundaries to beat the other one, but now with just 1 supplier, the FIA told them to make tyres 2 or 3 seconds slower than when there was a tyre war, so while they're similar to '04 tyres, they're nowhere near the performance. so while the car technology has gone forward in 3 years, the tyre technolgy has gone backwards from 2004 to around 2000 or 2001.

plus the smaller, rev-limited engines as TripleM suggested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2007 09:52PM by Muks_C.
Date: July 16, 2007 01:44PM
Posted by: Khalid
coughlan says in a statement he told other members of the team and not just jonathan neale.....nut everyone told him to get rit of the documents

somehow i find that difficult to believe, at least the team wouldnt have get rit of them so easy i guess
Date: July 16, 2007 01:55PM
Mclaren should have susspended him way before they did I think they will get in big trouble really.

But ferrari are letting info out from the statement and they are not meant to be doing that.
Date: July 16, 2007 02:13PM
Who's to say that the media had a look at the actual affidavit?

Date: July 16, 2007 02:24PM
Some italian paper claim they have seen it.

If its true only ferrari could have released it.
Date: July 16, 2007 02:46PM
Posted by: TC
marcl Wrote:
> Mclaren should have susspended him way before they
> did I think they will get in big trouble really.

Max Mosley said Ron Dennis contacted him as soon as he knew what was going on... So I would assume they did suspend him quickly when they found out.
Date: July 16, 2007 03:12PM
read this: [www.f1-live.com]

Date: July 16, 2007 03:13PM
People sometimes get unsolicited mail. It's hardly a reason to get somebody suspended (looking from McLaren's POW of course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 03:15PM by tripleM.
Date: July 16, 2007 03:41PM
Posted by: Khalid
TC wrote:
>>Max Mosley said Ron Dennis contacted him as soon as he knew what was going >>on... So I would assume they did suspend him quickly when they found out.

maybe Ron knew "the truth is going to come out sooner or later"
Date: July 16, 2007 03:55PM
The point being someone high up in Mclaren knew about it and only told him to destroy the papers.

Maybe mike told him he had I dont know, but at that point Ron should have been told and it does not look like he was.

But none of this has nothing to do with Stepney, Mike has not named him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy