Italian GP - Monza - Official Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by Muks_C 
Re: Italian GP - Monza - Official Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: September 11, 2006 10:48AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
They didnt claim they were illegal. Someone was spotted coating Bridgestone tyres (not specificly Ferrari tyres) in what looked like chemical spray, to enhance the performance over a single lap. Thats illegal. Renault asked for it to be looked into, nothing dodgy was found and the decsion was accepted. It isnt even worth mentioning until the press got hold of it and turned it into a Renault accuse Ferrari of cheating story. It emerged very early in the weekend as small news, then sites like Autosport and F1racing.net blew it into a big situation, which it never was.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 11, 2006 10:52AM
Posted by: Muks_C
as for the rule about passing and cutting chicanes, i think it's wrong.

as people have said, it gives them licence to just make a crazy move from anywhere, and as long as their nose is ahead, they can cut the chicane and get away with it.

we saw how hard Nick tried to make the chicane (and he did make it), so BMW would be able to put their case forward that Nick made the chicane so FA should be penalised, but FA had no chance of making it.

i wish they had penalised MS (or told him to allow Pedro past) in Hungary because it now sets a bad precedent for future races.

but that's the crazy world of the FIA for ya.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 11, 2006 10:57AM
Posted by: marcl
yes i also felt alonso should have got in trouble for that. It was happening in gp2 alot as well but the drivers let them back past.

Thanks dave for clearing that up it was the 1st i had heard of it
Date: September 11, 2006 11:01AM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Date: September 11, 2006 08:52AM
Posted by: Muks_C (IP Logged)

as for the rule about passing and cutting chicanes, i think it's wrong.

100% agree. But they cant go back on it now. Twice drivers have gotten away with under this new ruling which came out of no-where, that doesnt make any sense. Logic eh.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 11, 2006 11:06AM
Posted by: tripleM
"It isnt even worth mentioning until the press got hold of it and turned it into a Renault accuse Ferrari of cheating story. It emerged very early in the weekend as small news, then sites like Autosport and F1racing.net blew it into a big situation, which it never was."

The Autosport article doesn't even mention Ferrari?

And while i can't vouch for F1racing, Autosport certainly wasn't making a big deal out of it.

Date: September 11, 2006 11:16AM
f1-live did
Date: September 11, 2006 11:21AM
Posted by: Morbid
No they didn't. They put up one short article at 9.02 this morning.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2006 11:21AM by Morbid.
Date: September 11, 2006 11:33AM
they way i read it made it sound like a big deal, the fact that they got the tyres looked at.

But maybe i read it different to u
Date: September 11, 2006 11:52AM
Posted by: mikef1
That's the impression i got from reading it:

Twenty four hours after a Stewards' decision against Fernando Alonso enraged Renault chiefs, the French squad launched a protest against Ferrari's tyres.

While the press was preoccupied with Michael Schumacher's retirement, it initially passed unnoticed that - an hour after the chequered flag at Monza - Renault questioned the legality of the red team's Bridgestone boots.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, and Spain's AS newspaper, Renault and Michelin chiefs showed the governing body photographs that supposedly depicted a Bridgestone technician spraying Ferrari's tyres with illegal chemicals.

Such chemicals could be used to improve tyre grip.

Their 'proof' of wrongdoing was the Bridgestone-Ferrari technician's wearing of protective gear, including special masks and gloves, but it is understood that FIA officials were satisfied with the explanation offered to them.

It is further understood that the tyres in question might have been seized for further detailed testing.

Ferrari boss Jean Todt said of Renault: "In many ways they are good, but in this case I must say they are weak."
Date: September 11, 2006 12:01PM
The way I read it, they pose the question, reference the development step-by-step, and quote Todt's denial. They conclude nothing nor do they infer anything. They don't mount opinion on top of it either. To me, that's not really making a big deal out of anything.

Date: September 11, 2006 12:19PM
"and quote Todt's denial."

I don't see Todt denying anything.
Date: September 11, 2006 12:34PM
Denial, comment, daffodil, whatever. Call it what you want, it doesn't change my point.

Date: September 11, 2006 02:32PM
Posted by: Bigbrother
@ muks: dam that look ugly, kimi in ferrari clothes ;-)
Date: September 11, 2006 02:32PM
Posted by: Nerrazurri
From reading this thread i make my conclusion. Once again ferrari are back ontop of the pile and 90% of people are saying they are cheating, Do people not get fed up accusing ferrari of everything, i know i get fed up of reading it all the time. At the end of the day its easy to blame somone else rather than look at your own mistakes.

Date: September 11, 2006 02:44PM
i for one am not saying they are cheating its what renault were asking.

They are bitter as so many things are not going their way.
Date: September 11, 2006 04:54PM
"From reading this thread i make my conclusion. Once again ferrari are back ontop of the pile and 90% of people are saying they are cheating,"

Personally i don't blame Ferrari, i blame the FIA. Any other team would love to be in the position Ferrari are in with all their heritage and influence. However it's the FIA's way of handling issues such as Alono's qualifying penalty that makes me suspicious of their motives and makes me question the reasoning behind such actions.
Such incidents have happened before like in 1989 when Senna was disqualified after a stupid techincality when he won the race, all the other teams and drivers (apart from Prost) couldn't understand the decision but it still stood. That was down to Jean Marie Balestre, who was the president of the FIA, who had a fondness for Prost but a dislike of Senna.
Date: September 11, 2006 08:01PM
Posted by: Senna
mikef1 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "From reading this thread i make my conclusion. Once again ferrari are
> back ontop of the pile and 90% of people are saying they are
> cheating,"
>
> Personally i don't blame Ferrari, i blame the FIA. Any other team
> would love to be in the position Ferrari are in with all their
> heritage and influence. However it's the FIA's way of handling issues
> such as Alono's qualifying penalty that makes me suspicious of their
> motives and makes me question the reasoning behind such actions.
> Such incidents have happened before like in 1989 when Senna was
> disqualified after a stupid techincality when he won the race, all the
> other teams and drivers (apart from Prost) couldn't understand the
> decision but it still stood. That was down to Jean Marie Balestre, who
> was the president of the FIA, who had a fondness for Prost but a
> dislike of Senna.

Yeah, I agree, but I blame both (Ferrari and FIA). Massa must be crazy to complain that Alonso (who was more than 400m infront of his Ferrari) was blocking him... FIA's controversial decision clearly destroyed Alonso's race. Because starting in 10th position, he was forced to extract as much as possible from his car, what led to the failure that retired him from the race. In other circumstances, he'd have at least finished 3rd with a conservative strategy and therefore reduced the damage to his ch'ship advantage. But we could blame Renault too, for the ridiculous pit stop work at Hungary.

and Mikef1, glad you remember it, because when we argue against MS work ethics, most people forget it when they refer to Suzuka 90 in an attempt to counter our arguments. They are different circumstances caused by different reasons. And Ballestre admitted it (the fondness for Prost) 2 years after Senna's death in a interview. But going down more in the past, we have also Monaco 1984 as another suspicious race results intervention, because the race was red flagged exactly when Senna in his Toleman-Hart overtook Prost, a french driver leading a race held in french territory.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: September 11, 2006 08:10PM
Posted by: tripleM
Whee, let's rehash 20 year old "conspiraces" now.

If Jackie Ickx felt that it was unsafe, it []i[/i] was unsafe.

Date: September 11, 2006 08:15PM
Posted by: Sauber89
But we could blame Renault too, for the ridiculous pit stop work at Hungary.

incorrect that was a mechancial based wheel failure not human error

you can blame alonso for playing the doornbos games

Date: September 11, 2006 08:17PM
Posted by: Senna
tripleM Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Whee, let's rehash 20 year old "conspiraces" now.
>
> If Jackie Ickx felt that it was unsafe, it []i was unsafe.
>
>
>
> Bonzo!

I agree that it was unsafe and they should have red flagged it, but the question is why they took a lot of laps to decide it? Prost asked them to red flag it laps before they did it. And they decided to do it exactly when Senna overtook him and was lapping faster than him!

Stefan Bellof also had a chance to get it, because he was in 3rd and was also lapping faster than them.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy