Lap Distance: 5.793 km/3.6 miles
Laps: 53
Race Distance: 306.72 km/190.58 miles
Record Pole: 1:20,089 min
Driver: R. Barrichello
Date: 11/09/2004
Car: Ferrari F2004
2005 Winner: Juan Pablo Montoya

Monza is one of Formula One racing’s traditional events, lent an extra frisson by the fact that it is Ferrari’s home ground. And the Scuderia is expected to feature heavily in this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix after their promise to reveal their 2007 drivers after the race on Sunday night.
Some have taken this to mean that Michael Schumacher will be announcing his retirement over the weekend. But given that there is no way that he can clinch the 2006 world championship this weekend, it seems unlikely. Many believe the German will only quit racing if he wins the crown this year, so his 2007 plans will probably only be revealed once the title battle is resolved.

Ferrari are throwing everything into the pot this weekend, desperate for another one-two to snatch the constructors’ championship lead from Renault, and to cut back the 12-point gap to Fernando Alonso in the drivers’.

Monza can spring surprises given its low downforce demands, but it is hard to see the battle for victory being anything other than a three-way between Ferrari, Renault and McLaren, with Honda possibly sticking their nose in. But just to complicate things, lap times were very close in testing here last week, and everyone will have their cars pretty much dialled in terms of revised aero configurations and tyre choices by the time practice begins on Friday.

Monza is very much a power circuit, and is one of the highest speed tracks on the calendar, hence the need for minimal downforce. The full throttle ratio of the lap is 70 percent. It also rewards cars which can ride the numerous chicane kerbs the most efficiently, and requires good stability under braking, especially for the first chicane which follows the main straight on which speeds easily exceed 330 km/h. Drivers will expect to see as much as 5g under braking.

Since a pit stop here requires 25 seconds, the Italian Grand Prix is almost always a single-stop race, but thanks to the nature of the circuit there are several overtaking opportunities around the lap.

The NASCAR-departed Juan Pablo Montoya took pole here last year for McLaren in 1m 21.054s, and went on to win the race. The team are hoping for a repeat, to break their 2006 drought. Schumacher believes that Ferrari will be very strong, after a good test, and said: “We are feeling cautiously optimistic. We need a good result here to keep in play for the title and to keep the pressure on Renault.”

Alonso has the advantage in points, but knows how fragile that can be. “It feels like a different car when you drive in Monza. You have such low downforce that by the time you get to the end of the straight, it feels like you could fly! The steering feels light, the movements are a bit lazy, and you don't quite feel like you have everything under control. It's not a nice feeling for the driver, but it's what you need at Monza to be quick on the straights. But Monza is more than that. You need the speed but when you are running low downforce, it's hard to get good braking stability and ride over the kerbs. That's what we are always asking the engineers for better ride on the kerbs, and more stable braking.”

The world champion says he has just one goal this weekend. “There is only one target for the Renault team at the moment: to finish in front of Ferrari. They have been quite dominant in the last races, so beating them means winning races. That is our focus.”

Honda, meanwhile, should have another new engine specification and Jenson Button is feeling optimistic. "I'm really looking forward to the race here. The atmosphere is always great over the race weekend and the circuit has traditionally seen lots of exciting racing, so hopefully it will be another good race for the fans. I had a podium finish here in 2004 and it is a track that I always enjoy. We did a lot of good work with Michelin at the Monza test this week in preparation as most of the track has been resurfaced, so we needed to focus carefully on the tyre choice. We have a relatively good car around here so I think that we should be reasonably competitive."

Discuss!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2006 05:34PM by Morbid.
Re: Italian GP - Monza - Official Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: September 08, 2006 12:56AM
Posted by: Morbid
Made sticky! :)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: September 08, 2006 12:57AM
Posted by: sennafire
GO ALONSO, GO!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Date: September 08, 2006 12:58AM
Posted by: sennafire
Morbid Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Made sticky!
>
>
>

No! i post first...just my connection didnt help me :(
Date: September 08, 2006 01:26AM
Posted by: matt3454
Cant see anyone but schumacher winning this one..

and i dont mean ralf ;)

Hopefully tho ild like to see Alonso, Raikkonnen, Button, Monteiro..... basically anyone but schumacher win ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 01:27AM by matt3454.
Date: September 08, 2006 07:56AM
Posted by: marcl
it might rain this weekend and as we saw in hungry michelin will be better, or should be but its a totally different track.

in the dry michelin are messed up in testing their tyres did not work as they did not know the track had a new surface
Date: September 08, 2006 11:09AM
Posted by: vesuvius
That Hondas new engine is good ,2 laps and blow ;)
Date: September 08, 2006 11:13AM
have they already lost an engine?
Date: September 08, 2006 11:47AM
Posted by: kimiraik
Yep, Davidson's
Date: September 08, 2006 12:58PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Like Honda were really gonna get in anyone's way anyhow ;)

I think ferrari will maintain their advantage, but perhaps the Mclaren's to spring a surprise? Alonso will be right on MS's gearbox as long as possible
Date: September 08, 2006 01:01PM
Posted by: dolinseks
Will they even made it through quali? :D

Date: September 08, 2006 01:29PM
Posted by: kaid
was just looking at the free practice times and vettel fastest with a 1.23.263.And i compared that to montoya's 2002 pole 1.20.264 which is 3 sec faster. It's unbelievable how much speed the cars lost over the years. But i don't know if vettel was driving whit a low fuel car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 02:10PM by kaid.
Date: September 08, 2006 01:47PM
Posted by: Sapo
I thought it fluctuated between the circuits, at low speed circuits with lots of long turns the v8 didn;t lose a lot of time in comparison with last years, and on the high speed circuits quite a bit more.

But i could be wrong.
Date: September 08, 2006 01:55PM
Posted by: chet
Well this year in quali the teams have all found 2secs ish over pract times!
lol.

this should be a good race, tf sound confident! Ants failure is no worry.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 08, 2006 02:13PM
Ants just had another failure of somesort by the looks of it =/

Date: September 08, 2006 02:39PM
honda have made a mistake the cars were fitted withe new engine but are going to use the old spec engine. They thought as they had not let rb and jb leave the pits they would not get a penalty but this looks wrong as the serial numbers were written down last night when the cars were looked at by the fia lol

The cars look fantastic in this spec no flip ups i love the toyota front wing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 02:42PM by marcl.
Date: September 08, 2006 02:41PM
=/ @ Honda.

Date: September 08, 2006 02:49PM
Posted by: vesuvius
last year there was a rule that if you dont drive with that new engine in friday free practises you can change the engine without penalty
Date: September 08, 2006 03:11PM
Posted by: Stan
marcl Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The cars look fantastic in this spec no flip ups i love the toyota
> front wing
dude the flipups are still there on all cars ;)

Date: September 08, 2006 03:16PM
i could not see them :(

Honda started the engines up in the back of the cars that counts as using them its a grey area really yes they never left the pits but the engines were started.

JB and RB still not done a lap but look at the SA car only a sec of ferrari lolol shows fridays mean nothing

1 38 Sebastian Vettel Sauber-BMW 1:22.631
2 5 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:23.138
3 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:23.182
4 35 Alexander Wurz Williams-Cosworth 1:23.414
5 4 Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1:23.970
6 3 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:24.034
7 16 Nick Heidfeld Sauber-BMW 1:24.330
8 1 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:24.577
9 17 Robert Kubica Sauber-BMW 1:24.813
10 41 Franck Montagny Super Aguri-Honda 1:24.943
11 19 Christijan Albers MF1-Toyota 1:24.985
12 8 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:25.027
13 10 Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 1:25.040
14 15 Christian Klien RBR-Ferrari 1:25.108
15 2 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 1:25.160
16 18 Tiago Monteiro MF1-Toyota 1:25.277
17 7 Ralf Schumacher Toyota 1:25.316
18 14 David Coulthard RBR-Ferrari 1:25.318
19 36 Anthony Davidson Honda 1:25.356

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 03:28PM by marcl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy