is this is ur way of thinking?.......i hope not!

Posted by assadof1 
Re: is this is ur way of thinking?.......i hope not!
Date: February 13, 2006 05:47PM
Posted by: Vader
Muks_C Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if the "days" were in fact much longer than the
> "days" we know of today, then why aren't they
> quoted as "months", "weeks" or "years", so it
> makes it clear what sort of time period we are
> talking about?
>
> a "day" in the 7 days of creation may have been as
> long as 1000 years, so it should be conveyed in
> such language when discussing it today.
>
> I know what i'd choose Muks - an intelligent
> designer creating intelligent beings that are far
> superior to monkeys and a world that has order and
> purpose - over a series of unproven - unrepeatable
> - contradictory to the third law of thermodynamics
> - events that lead us up to our existence with no
> purpose than a paper clip.
>
> but the things in the Bible (and other holy books)
> are unproven, unrepeatable and contradictory in
> many ways too, as Dave has been discussing
> (parting of the sea, water into wine etc.).
>
> if anything, science and religion are both a load
> of nonsense, but i find the scientific
> explanations and theories more plausible.
>

I think I'm not getting through. Taking the bible word for word is frankly ridiclolous and so is using these parts as an argument against the Bible. Have you never heard about a metaphor? A symbol? How can you discuss the meaning of the word "day" when you not even know what the original word in hebrew language was and what it implied? It is completely naive to discuss on this level.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Vader, I think you overstate the influence of evolution theory on the church. Although the liberal side of the protestant church believe in evolution, many in the evangelical wing of the church are creationists, myself included.

[Website]
Date: February 13, 2006 05:50PM
Posted by: fongu
some Christians believe that days meant a longer period (because of the usage in other places in the Bible) trying to fit it in with evolution.

I go to an independant reformed baptist church - my views are calvinistic - lived out by the puritans and reformers thereafter. I agree mostly with this site [www.answersingenesis.org] on creational issues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2006 05:51PM by fongu.
Date: February 13, 2006 05:51PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
is this getting to you dave

Nope, im stopping posting my opinion on this specific subject before i end up insulting your belifes and basicly laughing my ass of at how patheticly gullable some people are ;-)

how am i contradicting myself? Miracles are miracles otherwise science continues as it is.

\/

Tell me how science has supersceded religion? Does Christianity contradict scientific FACT at all? No - some of the greatest scientists in past centuries have been the keenest Christians - as i said above - Christianity encourages people to look into science because there will be no contradictions.

Science says that transforming water isnt possible, therefore is a contradiction. You then change the rules and say god can do miracles. Miracles dont work according to science, and therefore contradict basic scientific laws

I have already stated that several times but you keep ignoring the fact and keep saying god changes the rules. That is NOT an acceptable answer as you have NO proof god changed these rules other than some book, which has been translted from another language and every time it is translated changes, so its not even accurate to what it is meant to subscribe.

But hey, belive what you want...you clearly are right now rofl

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 13, 2006 05:58PM
Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
> Vader, I think you overstate the influence of
> evolution theory on the church. Although the
> liberal side of the protestant church believe in
> evolution, many in the evangelical wing of the
> church are creationists, myself included.
>

I don't remember saying anything about the influence of evolutionary theories on Protestant Churches. I just remember calling "evolution" a theory and not the absolute truth.

Btw, were does science say that transforming water is impossible? It happens a lot if I remember my chemistry lessons right.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2006 05:59PM by Vader.
Date: February 13, 2006 06:01PM
well i stick by what i said there because in context there are no miracles today, thus there are no anomalies and thus science is still repeatable. But science happens at all because God is working it all - He is the primary cause - the fact that we can explain how a wing can create a pressure difference to push it in a direction is only secondary - if God changes it for a specific purpose - He has the right to do so as He is the author of science. Your arguement is based on the assumption that God either doesnt exist or is some recluse who doesnt interact with His creation.

Date: February 13, 2006 06:05PM
I didnt say transforming water was impossible. I said scientificly, transforiming it into wine as simple as Jesus did it is not possible. Nor is the parting of the sea.

Im sure if you put billions into research you may find an extremely complex way of transforming X into Y using massive machines. But to suggest 1 man can do such a thing...

...but hey, this is christianity we are talking about, which means the rules change to explain anything they want to explain rofl

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 13, 2006 06:06PM
Vader Wrote:
> Ferrari_Fuhrer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Vader, I think you overstate the influence
> of
> > evolution theory on the church. Although the
> > liberal side of the protestant church believe
> in
> > evolution, many in the evangelical wing of
> the
> > church are creationists, myself included.
> >
>
> I don't remember saying anything about the
> influence of evolutionary theories on Protestant
> Churches. I just remember calling "evolution" a
> theory and not the absolute truth.
>
> Btw, were does science say that transforming water
> is impossible? It happens a lot if I remember my
> chemistry lessons right.
>

Although i disagree with the day being longer than 24 hours - i dont disagree with the intentions of Christian scientists trying to marry up the Bible and Science - but i do believe they are wrong in their conclusion ;)

Date: February 13, 2006 06:06PM

Posted by: fongu (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2006 06:01PM

well i stick by what i said there because in context there are no miracles today, thus there are no anomalies and thus science is still repeatable. But science happens at all because God is working it all - He is the primary cause - the fact that we can explain how a wing can create a pressure difference to push it in a direction is only secondary - if God changes it for a specific purpose - He has the right to do so as He is the author of science. Your arguement is based on the assumption that God either doesnt exist or is some recluse who doesnt interact with His creation.

Rofl, that quite simply is hillarious beyond belief tbh, so again, i wont address the subject otherwise you'll end up thinking im attacking you and not the posts.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 13, 2006 06:28PM
Posted by: Muks_C
@ Vader, about the length of the days, and taking the Bible literally, i'm only replying to what others have said.

i have no problem believing a "day" in the Bible is longer than our days, as long as someone puts that point forward when saying "x was created in y days".

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 13, 2006 06:39PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
7 days eh

explains the 7 day week.

so my complaint is

why do we have to work 5 days a week, why not have 4 days work at 3 days rest?

That would rock. public holidays would mean 4 day weekend! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2006 06:40PM by NeilPearson.
Date: February 13, 2006 06:56PM
we'd still complain that more than half of the week is spent working and not enjoying ourselves.

we should have to only work a maximum of 3 days, and enjoy ourselves for 4 days a week.

work should only be a means of providing enough money to spend in the pursuit of pleasure, not the whole reason for living, which is what it can seem like if you have to work for 5 or 6 (or 7) days a week.

Date: February 13, 2006 07:01PM
well creation shows us a pattern for working 6 days work plus 1 day rest - we were made to work (its not easy - due to the curse on Adam), but God knows we need a break too :)

Yeah, so feel blessed that you get two days off, because God only had one ;)

[Website]
Date: February 13, 2006 07:38PM
Posted by: LS.
fongu Wrote:
> well creation shows us a pattern for working 6
> days work plus 1 day rest - we were made to work
> (its not easy - due to the curse on Adam), but God
> knows we need a break too
>
>

sorry to hark back to Ricky Gervais again, but he touched upon the Adam and Eve story too,

He mentioned about the punishments dished out by God after the snake had told Eve that it was ok to eat the fruit from the tree

God punished man by making him toil all day instead of recieving manna from heaven

He punished Eve by increasing the pain during child birth

And the punishment he gave to the snake? ( the one thing that caused all of the problems )

The Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you did this, More cursed shall you be Than all cattle And all the wild beasts: On your belly shall you crawl And dirt shall you eat All the days of your life.

[Ricky Gervais] Not really a punishment for a snake, having to spend the rest of yours days crawling on your belly

i bet the snake could'nt beleive its luck,

"But i alrea.............." ooh yeah, yep yep you got me! thats me punished"

how do i do this again? ( mimicks moving from side to side )

"owww owww " this really hurts, i'm really being punished, says the snake

" i wish i could fly like normal" [Ricky Gervais]

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2006 07:44PM by LS..
Date: February 13, 2006 07:46PM
Are we trying to have a serious discussion in here or are we trying to mock things that are important to others?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 13, 2006 07:49PM
lol.

and as far as i know, the sin that Adam & Eve committed wasn't eating the apple, but having sex. the apple was just a metaphor and something that could be told to children.

Date: February 13, 2006 07:52PM

Posted by: Vader (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2006 07:46PM

Are we trying to have a serious discussion in here or are we trying to mock things that are important to others?

I tried that, but its actually impossible to have a discussion about christianity because the rules change depending on what god wants. Basicly, everything can be explained by saying "god changed the rules" and really thats the most god awfull boring argument in the world. hence why i think this is now pretty hillarious.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 13, 2006 07:57PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Vader Wrote:
> Are we trying to have a serious discussion in here
> or are we trying to mock things that are important
> to others?

My exact thoughts tbh.

Date: February 13, 2006 08:04PM
Posted by: LS.
T'was just a light hearted injection of humour into a serious thread, get over yourself

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy