GPG SuperLeague - S4 Over! WDC Matt Houston! WCC Velox! Season 5 Vacancies. JOIN NOW!!

Posted by GPGSL 
I don't see how forcing drivers to retire would work, the top drivers have the best perfs as they have earned them, its all fair to help new people joining the series but it should not be at the expense of older series members

@Phil wouldn't you rather drive than be a team manager

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree that team bosses shouldn't be anywhere
> else but their own team - they can be just a boss
> - or - either a main or a test driver. But only
> for their own team.
>

+1 boss
Well, there would be the rest of this season and a complete other one before this would take effect, even if the proposal would be retroactively. I definitely understand that today's race driver's aren't very eager to support this proposal. But as there is limited space in this series, you have to find a fair way to give everybody a chance, IMO!
I would have to lie when I would say that I don't want to race in this series sometimes. Most probably not next season, but maybe the season after. So, to answer your question, I wouldn't rather beat you to get the torch passed to me (whereas this isn't about me personally but about equality in general), but I also make no secret of not understanding why all participants in here shouldn't have the same chances.
This is a community, right? So then it's important that all people here don't only think on their own advantage. If I would have raced here for 5 seasons (what equals 2-3 years normally!!!) I'd be more than fine to make space for another person to have some fun as well. And I, personally, think it's challenging to have a personal restart after such a long period of time. When you raced for so long, it can be an additional inducement to begin from the start and catch up and profile for a race seat again.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
@Dan

Nice post mate, I agree with you and Norbert on the driver idea, just makes sense really

And that engine idea sounds pretty interesting

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
All new ideas sound interesting.

In a worst case scenario - the most easiest of things would be to reset everyone back to how it was in season 1, perf values.

And then let nature take its course, using the same as we have done all this time.

There isn't much wrong with how it is, just the lack of variation. It is a bit boring for some people not able to be in on the action.

We shouldn't penalise our long serving members. That isn't fair, really.

So why not just have a very simple mass reset every 3 or 4 seasons. We know the system works with perf values, and it solves the very simple problem we all commonly are mentioning - the fact the same people are usually always on top.

So there we go - easiest solution doesn't stem far from the way it is now!

Simple reset - away we go. In three or four seasons, same again. It gives guys a three or so season stint in the limelight, and then someone else gets a turn.

Sure, we can add little rules here and there like the team managers in own teams. That is just logical!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
@danm:
I really don't get the point why a total reset should be fairer to the long serving members. In both ways they'd lose what they built up so far.
And in addition to that, a total reset also doesn't solve the "problem" that the driver market stagnates and only all the same drivers get race seats. A reset wouldn't change anything there.
I - personally - think, that a reset is a much more drastic solution than most of the other ideas showed here and that a mixture of all the ideas will result in a solution mostly anybody can live with

But look how long we are into this - four seasons!

Sure, it is nice to be winning. But what about the guys who don't week in, week out. The other guys who have been here so long?

I guess the line is drawn by guys who are doing well and don't want to lose their edge; versus drivers who aren't doing well and want a chance. So based on that the opinions will kinda more or less be split 50/50.

I know what you are saying by being long serving - but then that just re-iterate why being here the longest is giving you a constant edge - something that isn't going to give anyone else more of a chance to catch up. Just background players.

Let's see how the next few races pan out.

If it is anything other than TSS or Matt Houston on the front row; or the podium and top points places, I will take it as that my view is totally wrong, and shall stand corrected!

But I think I will be close to right!

As for increasing test driver activity, what about using them as a kinda 'Wild Card'? We could add two more races to the calendar, say, and teams MUST use a test driver to replace each of their main drivers for two events - and the events are chosen, like the boosts, at the managers discretion and talks with their guys.

The one thing that would do is get the testers more involved.

It would also give team managers an idea of how well a tester is doing in regards to the rest of the main field. Other than accumulating performance points and miles, we could have a superstar in the test series who we have no idea how good they are in race form. Allowing them to mix it a bit will shake up the transfers - a main driver might lose his place to a tester. The reverse might happen the following season when an ex-main driver demoted to a test role might suddenly shine again. It makes a catalyst to the market.

Plus, it would add a strategic variation. Like using boosts, a team could tactically play when to use a test role for a main race. If the other team has used all its boosts; or they might anticipate a slower engine option or no driver boosts (as per my previous idea).

I think I just like the idea of adding choice variables to give many different outcomes, making the whole experience more interactive and competitive than sitting and watching the long serving fast guys wipe the floor week in, week out.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 09:35PM by danm.
Who says that people who don't have a chance on a race seat in the current situation aren't doing well? There are a couple of test drivers that have a lot better perf files than most of the race drivers (e.g. Zsigmond, Jack and you Dan), and take part in the roleplay here the same way or sometimes even better than some race drivers. Logically they should be the first choice for team owners, but they aren't. If they would get a race seat that would have a much better chance to improve the team results, while some of the not so good race drivers could work as testers for a while and so improve their perf files easier again. This would regulate the situation in a self-sustaining way and both, drivers and teams would equalize more or less, if the team owner does a good job. So far for illusion.
Reality is, that these opportunities don't get used and therefore even people who ARE doing well can't succeed even if they want to. Anybody had/has the opportunity to create this series more fair to all without new rules that interfere too much. But if these opportunities don't become used or don't want to be used, there either have to be set up some of these new rules to create at least a bit more equality or the series should be closed for entrance and this private club of old serving members stays for itself.
But I think I made my point clear enough now and don't want to argue too much on a total hypothetical situation, so I'll hold my fire from now on ;-)

nm

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 11:58PM by BAR#10.
bwt qualy was run, no probs, will take me time to upload

GPGSL career;
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
There seem to be two ways on looking at this problem. 1 is slowing down the fast guys, 2 is making the slow guys faster. While in the end both options may have the same outcome, I think option 2 will have a lot more support because it sounds fairer. Giving a chance to the slower part of the grid sounds fairer than penalising the front of the grid.

Kudos to everybody who's giving ideas. Keep your ideas workable though! Some ideas are clever and well thought out, but increase the workload a lot.

Building on Dans idea of getting testers into racing seats, I could change the activity checks a bit. This would be twofold. One part is making the time slot smaller. At the moment it's two weeks, I'd decrease it to ten days. The other part is a change in the consequences of a warning. Now, the only consequence is a 20 perf point penalty and with three warnings you're out. I'd change it to this:
- one warning: only the penalty
- two warnings: penalty + if a racer, demoted to tester
- three warnings: penalty + out

That should give testers more chances in the races. And, since it's a driver change, a teamboss might be 'stuck' with the tester for the rest of the season if the team has used up all its changes. Then the tester can show how good he is and may be able to get a raceseat somewhere.
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But look how long we are into this - four
> seasons!
>
> Sure, it is nice to be winning. But what about the
> guys who don't week in, week out. The other guys
> who have been here so long?
>
> I guess the line is drawn by guys who are doing
> well and don't want to lose their edge; versus
> drivers who aren't doing well and want a chance.
> So based on that the opinions will kinda more or
> less be split 50/50.
>
> I know what you are saying by being long serving -
> but then that just re-iterate why being here the
> longest is giving you a constant edge - something
> that isn't going to give anyone else more of a
> chance to catch up. Just background players.
>
> Let's see how the next few races pan out.
>
> If it is anything other than TSS or Matt Houston
> on the front row; or the podium and top points
> places, I will take it as that my view is totally
> wrong, and shall stand corrected!
>
> But I think I will be close to right!
>
> As for increasing test driver activity, what about
> using them as a kinda 'Wild Card'? We could add
> two more races to the calendar, say, and teams
> MUST use a test driver to replace each of their
> main drivers for two events - and the events are
> chosen, like the boosts, at the managers
> discretion and talks with their guys.

>
> The one thing that would do is get the testers
> more involved.
>
> It would also give team managers an idea of how
> well a tester is doing in regards to the rest of
> the main field. Other than accumulating
> performance points and miles, we could have a
> superstar in the test series who we have no idea
> how good they are in race form. Allowing them to
> mix it a bit will shake up the transfers - a main
> driver might lose his place to a tester. The
> reverse might happen the following season when an
> ex-main driver demoted to a test role might
> suddenly shine again. It makes a catalyst to the
> market.
>
> Plus, it would add a strategic variation. Like
> using boosts, a team could tactically play when to
> use a test role for a main race. If the other team
> has used all its boosts; or they might anticipate
> a slower engine option or no driver boosts (as per
> my previous idea).
>
> I think I just like the idea of adding choice
> variables to give many different outcomes, making
> the whole experience more interactive and
> competitive than sitting and watching the long
> serving fast guys wipe the floor week in, week
> out.

the proposal is interesting,but i'd prefer if reserve teams take part at it:-)

My GPGSL Career
I might be up to change the FP sessions into a small race to run alongside the main event. That would mean dropping the FP of the main event and create a qualy + race. However without creating the WGP/w300 effect this would mean it has to be run with the same 11 teams, same performances (else it'll be a new series after all and that's not ment to be). Also those races would only last 8-14 laps (depending on circuit length) and no pitstops.
The main point should stay thats it's going to be less then the main series, less action, less laps. It would just give the opportunity to testers to see them-selfs in action instead of only practice.
There are then only the places not filled by test drivers - so that means some race drivers might get double coverage, however they can simply not be awarded any points for it.

This is not a solution for the drivers market, but it might hold the interests of test-drivers to stay active. which is, imo, very important as well

on a second note, i quite like the idea of Dan with different engine types to be used throughout the season. It gives teambosses more to think about and to use it properly.

If you are racing, keep on racing and get some points!

GPG Super League S11 | Driver #41 | Team-manager | Snake Motorsports Racing Group | Next Race: Emmeloord - Flevoland GP | Constructors: 10th | Best Race Finish: 1st
GPG Super League Season 9 Testers Champion*
I'm still thinking on all this but for sure I would love to race asap! Obviously there are people who have been waiting a lot longer than me but is it not true of real motor sport that some talented drivers never get the lucky breaks to reach the top!

Also as i'm not 100% sure on how the perfs work I'm not really understanding all that, but is it not the case that once in a while a top team can design a dog and a smaller team can design a demond eg Mclaren, Ferrari and BMW designing poor cars by there standard and Brawn designing a great car. As I said I'm not sure how the perfs work so how this could be done I have no clue!
ROUND 12

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES GP

DUBAI

QUALIFYING

Well after a week of politics and discussion in which direction GPGSL would go, we're back to racing.
three teams fighting for contructors l

After a win in Interlagos, Aleksander is back in the game of drivers championship, closing in on Matt Houston
Don't count Oakley and TSS yet, they're bringing some boost upgrades to Dubai.

It's quite spectacular in the midfield apart from IED who seems to have settled into fourth. Otherwise 5 teams are within 11 points.

40 mintes session begins

Hinz sets the first lap, quickly improved by van Smirren

van der VOORT on his 1st lap

van het Bolscher close to Phoenix

The boost enhancement sure is working, Greenhalgh shows it all

Houston wants the title

Oakley into 6th

Aleksander's qualy issues back?

TOP 10 after first turn

van der Voort impeding Greenhalgh

makes no difference to ED!

MEANWHILE VAN SMIRREN GOES TOP 5!

GREENHALGH'S IMPEDED LAP!

TAFURO

AFTER waiting for some time in garages, Aleksander is out again and quicker than Greenhalgh in first sector

but loses time in last two, still top 3

Oakley locks front row!tss one two, using boost.

dfr lacking pace

Santilal breaks the sandwich!

that concluded the qualifying session from Dubai, stay tuned for results

Race Director: Ernie B. Ecclescake

GPGTV Youtube Channel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 02:14AM by GPGTV.org/farked.
UAE GP, OFFICIAL QUALIFYING RESULTS
congratulations to Ed Greenhalgh(TSS) for pole position

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 10:28PM by GPGSL.
Not even in the background of an image :(

Decent enough by Rick, did well in the top 3. Obviously didn't have the pace to improve. Keeley, could be doing a little better. But I know both you guys are more suited to the races, so here's hoping for a good one.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
Brilliant start to the weekend. Good job by Ruben who is obviously still getting used to the car.

Perfect qualifying, here's hoping the upgrades prove reliable over a race distance.

check again coverage, ryan inserted IED in.

sorry all, if you are not in screenies but i had a looooooong day reinstalling for hours gp4.
it's rac,e where there's moooore feature anyway.:-)

GPGSL career;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 12:22AM by BAR#10.
Great qualifying for TSS!

Solid work by Stefan and Alex once again, but their race pace is almost always better than the qualifying pace, so I'm looking forward to see what they can do tomorrow!

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy