jimbob1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi i'm trying to build a track @ the moment &
> learning 3d editor along the way. i get this
> strange white lines & dark tarmac across the
> surface all over the circuit. does anyone know
> whats happening here ?? cheers>>
>

well jim, i appologies for not replying sooner to you, i havent had much free time on my hands lately. I really cant see whats wrong with your track on the above picture, i thick it has to be something with your texture. Is it on 100% of the track?
About the dat you've mailed me last week, your saying you have a problem, but you dont say what the problem is....please dont tell me the problem is the trackj wont work ingame? cause a simple click on the "infos" >> "track flag list" will tell you why it wont work.

Re: How to build a track in 60 minutes [v0.51]
Date: September 06, 2005 03:49PM
Posted by: herbj
Hi i'm new to this forum but i have been a fan of grand prix 4 since it came out. i'm interested in trackediting & have been reading mavericks guide, and i want to know if he is going to do any more as it only seems to go so far ??
Date: September 06, 2005 04:01PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Ask Maverick, I was going to do something on some of the bits that can be quite annoying and that can screw up the game if you do something wrong using a track I started to make a while back which was an absolute disaster on the .gp4 side. However, since I start college next week, I don't if I'll have enough time to do anything like that but you'll know if I do :).
Date: September 06, 2005 04:14PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
well, i had more people asking for more updates on the tutorial. Problem is, i really dont have the time for it atm. so you'll have to work with what yuo've got atm. But, i cant see this often enough, there's nothing you cant do with reading my tutorial and (!) the manual provided with 3deditor. I can always take the time for awnsering qustions (but you'll have to wait for an awnser sometimes). And maybe the template with the premade pitlane can be of any help?

Otherwise you'll have to wait until time frees up here, but i dont expect that to be within a month or 2.

Date: September 06, 2005 10:56PM
Posted by: Anonymous User

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2005 04:37PM by jimbob1.
Date: September 06, 2005 11:13PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Thanks jimbob1:) Even tough it is not new to me it is a good introduction also for people who want to learn track editing.
Well done;)

Date: September 10, 2005 10:26AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2005 04:33PM by jimbob1.
Date: October 04, 2005 12:00AM
Posted by: NS
hm I'm also a newbie in trackediting. Made my own fantasy track while following the tutorial, No missing flags, and the track is working, but I don't get the tarmac visible? How can I solve that? =/
Date: October 04, 2005 01:22AM
Posted by: Paco
you have to generate bin files (and put them in your wad file, of course) :)

I'm against sigpics
Date: October 04, 2005 01:39AM
I also did that, still no tarmac! just driving into nothingness or something like that ;)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:55AM
is your last sector overlapping the first one?

if it is, then delete the last sector, generate bin files, and try ingame

I'm against sigpics
Date: October 04, 2005 02:23AM
hm deleted the last sector from my track (but now having some small space between the first and last sector) and at first their was tarmac! me happy! ;) but after driving like 1/3th of the track the tarmac dissapeared, and after like 2/3 it reappeared again for like 5 seconds and then it dissapeared again =/
Date: October 04, 2005 02:33AM
mmm... if you haven't already done this, try deleting the scene where the old track (the one you based your work on), and then make a new scene to put the new layout in it.

I'm against sigpics
Date: October 04, 2005 10:46AM
You have to replace the last sector after creating the .bin, then it should work :)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:27PM

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2005 04:34PM by jimbob1.
Date: October 04, 2005 09:00PM
I created the .bin with only the .dat open, also tried first removing the last sector, then calculated the bin, then adding the last sector again and saving but still most of the tarmac isn't visible and now i have (started a new track) even a big hight-change in the first corner and some meters after that a big bump, and i didn't change anything on hights.

I just took Monza as a starting and deleted the track exept for sectors before and after the pitlane (leaving that intact so the flags are OK) but it doesn't seem to help..
Date: October 05, 2005 08:01AM
Posted by: b-tone
i have missing tarmack most of the time too. try building your cc line and see if it improves any.

bumps. 3d editor sometimes makes changes on its own. either that or i do :p
but i've noticed i'll find a sector with z=50000 or something

____
Tony

Date: October 05, 2005 12:30PM
z1 or z2? z2 needs to be within a margin of about 300 of other sectors (unless you're working with gradients, in which case it becomes slightly more difficult), if it is within 300, it should enable for a mostly smooth track, most of the time, large values in the z-cells or bank descriptions come from people copying and pasting (which is what I do) values in, and not deleting what's there before, so they get massive values...
Date: October 06, 2005 12:21AM
fixed it now, but now i'm stuck with the CC-line, the tutorial says that you have to cc-line the whole lap and then do like 10-15 more sectors after s/f line, does that mean that your track has to have anything between 10 and 15 sectors more after s/f-line or also less or more? Because i tried with that amount of more sectors and it doesnt work. Original GP4's Monza has (i think) 45 sectors CC-line more after s/f-line. I don't want to test that from 45 to 0 because sometimes gp4 crashes so bad because of the cc line that i have to reboot my computer =/
Date: October 06, 2005 03:57PM
How "doesn't it work"? The reason you have to overwrite the cc-line is because otherwise the cars jump back into the middle of the track, then try and follow the line again, causing them to lose grip most of the time. I usually use 20 as this seems to solve it more or less. The best thing to do when creating cc-line is to make a third of the track first, and then test that to see if they follow it, after that you can add the line corner by corner and you should get a perfect cc-line with tweaks after a while
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy