2012 F1 Car Launch Thread

Posted by EC83 
Re: 2012 F1 Car Launch Thread
Date: February 06, 2012 04:04PM
Posted by: Carlitox

OH MAH GAWD now they look even more like platypuses, this even has an actual nose!!

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: February 06, 2012 04:16PM
Posted by: danm
The Lotus looks lovely... but how do they get to drive laps already!?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 06, 2012 04:39PM
Posted by: IWE
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Lotus looks lovely... but how do they get to
> drive laps already!?

Its just shakedown test. Force India had one and same with Sauber. Ferrari had to cancel their session because of snow.

Changed Ferraris picture into real one.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 04:47PM by IWE.
Date: February 06, 2012 04:43PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
LOL, almost didn't notice the photoshopped Ferrari above.
Date: February 06, 2012 05:44PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
The Sauber isn't too bad, as long as Kobayashi's back to his best I don't mind what it looks like. The Red Bull is nothing more than anyone expected, really...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 06, 2012 05:49PM
bing!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 05:52PM by danm.
Date: February 06, 2012 05:51PM
Posted by: truecrysis
edit: dan stole my picture! ;)

Not too bad, pretty much as you would expect the toro rosso to look really?

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 05:53PM by truecrysis.
Date: February 06, 2012 05:58PM
Nice to see that the tacky Bed Bull Cola ad has been removed from the rear wing. Win!
Date: February 06, 2012 05:58PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
That's quite nice, they've kept the sidepods and has a relatively inoffensive step.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 06, 2012 06:27PM
Posted by: kubica2
madotter Wrote:
> Redbull = BOOOOOOOORING!

you got issues maddoteya (the backwords R on your name is pronounced ya in russian lol)
Date: February 06, 2012 06:35PM
Posted by: kubica2
i love the back ends on the renault and red bull cars, so tight and small compared to the fat arse mclaren. must be due to the renault engine.
it will probably be the same story as last few years, redbull fastest because of best aerodynamics, mclaren next best - but mainly due to mercedes engine and kers advantage.

very interesting design on the stepped nose on the redbull, some sort of vent there? probably another newey masterpiece.

so far out of 7 or 8 cars, mclaren is the only one not using a stepped nose, they have reasons like the car is built very low, but i dont know if its that much lower then anyone elses.
could they have made a misjudgement ala williams in 2004 with the walrus nose, will we see mclaren playing catchup and introduce a stepped nose during the year?
there car also seems very fat compared to others, time will tell, maybe they have got it right and everyone else wrong - but in the grand scheme of things the noise wont be the be all end all, its the complete package.
Date: February 06, 2012 06:58PM
Posted by: Slash
it's the complete package but the nose is the most important piece on the car.. probably more than the rear, everything needs to flow from it.. if they got it wrong, it's going to be extremmely hard to fix it.. Williams switched theyr 2004 nose after a few races but it didn't made any difference... if they got it right then they will dominate... is the risk they took i guess....

i do find it rare that almost every team so far has found the same solution except for them... Mercedes we can anticipate will have a similar solution as the rest, as they along RedBull have been working on the same design since the last 2 years
Date: February 06, 2012 07:00PM
Posted by: madotter
kubica2 Wrote:
> madotter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Redbull = BOOOOOOOORING!
>
>
> you got issues maddoteya (the backwords R on your
> name is pronounced ya in russian lol)

I did not know that! lol.

The Redbull is boring, Newey even said the car is basically the same as last years (aside from the nose obviously) and the livery has remained the same. I just think they could do more with the colours, you expect Ferrari to be red and McLaren to be grey/silver but I guess I hoped for something new from them.
Date: February 06, 2012 07:02PM
Posted by: Isaint
Nice car, I like it. Thankfully they have made the ski slope on the nose cone more subtle and the back end has a beautifull sweeping motion that should lend to a very aero dinamic package.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: February 06, 2012 07:06PM
So... is this a misjudgement from Mclaren? I'm feeling more and more uneasy with each new car released.
Date: February 06, 2012 07:16PM
Benetton were the first to push for that rather fugly high nose in the early 90's.

That fat little raised nugget bloater featured in their fair share of wins in 1994.

And then it got copied from 1995 by pretty much every team.

McLaren are dipping towards the 'non-norm' as Benetton did back then.

Lest we forget, the rules change again soon, and the noses will only be allowed a maximum of 25cm at the front (iirc).

That's a massive drop yet again!

So in my opinion, McLaren have either got a trick up their sleeves and have the low nose already working; or they are preparing and trying to perfect the low nose before it becomes mandatory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 07:17PM by danm.
Date: February 06, 2012 07:18PM
Posted by: truecrysis
loque Wrote:
> So... is this a misjudgement from Mclaren? I'm
> feeling more and more uneasy with each new car
> released.

+1, im no mclaren fanboy, but im hoping they have got something right with this...

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: February 06, 2012 07:22PM
Posted by: Isaint
Its hard to tell if Mclaren have got it that wrong. Remember their shape is not alot different from last year barring sidepods and they managed to challenge RedBull pretty hard at times. In retrospect you had Mercedes, Toro Rosso, last year already going for the 'Duck-bills' with no real significant advatage.
I know there is a lot more to the trasformation of the nose cone but in their defence ( and I am so not a Mclaren fan) there probably is a lot more involved in Mclarens decision not to go ugly.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 07:26PM by Isaint.
Date: February 06, 2012 07:52PM
loque Wrote:
> So... is this a misjudgement from Mclaren? I'm
> feeling more and more uneasy with each new car
> released.

Dunno..

Martin Whitmarsh admits the MP4-27 launched in Woking last week will not be the car that McLaren take to the Australian GP. McLaren unveiled their 2012 challenger last Friday with several parts of the car well covered, notable the exhaust exits. And with F1 banning blown exhaust diffusers this season, how teams will make up for the lost downforce is one of the hot topics. McLaren, though, are keeping their secrets well hidden - at least for now. "Our exhaust was made of plastic, you will never see these components in this form again," Whitmarsh admitted to Auto Moto und Sport. "The new car will not look the same in Jerez and in the season opener in Australia it will look very different. "We spent the week in Idiada (Spain) doing an aero test on a series of new parts for the car that were on it in Woking."

[www.planetf1.com]-

Also "Toleman-Benetton-Renault-Genji-Piquet Racing-Lada-Lotus Cars" seen today at track was 100% different car compared to the one we have seen yesterday.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: February 06, 2012 08:07PM

Hot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy