Singapore GP Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by turkey_machine 
Re: Singapore GP Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: September 30, 2008 10:52PM
Posted by: marcl
I do have a funny feeling the free engine change lewis is allowed is going to play into his hands.

All it takes is one ferrari engine problem and thats it really.

Massa is so good in Brazil i dont expect anyone to beat him there. But I do think the mclaren will be better in Japan and China.

I still think this championship will be over by the time we get to brazil one way or another. Massa has to be so careful if he is racing lewis or kovy as again 1 dnf and that could be it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 10:55PM by marcl.
Date: September 30, 2008 11:01PM
Posted by: gav
Basic physics suggest that the longer wheel base makes the Ferrari easier to drive. Perhaps not easy to drive on the limit, but from a purely mechanical point of view, it should certainly be a more consistent base.

Presumably that doesn't suit Kimi. I guess he likes to feel on top of the car, not the other way around, and it sometimes catches him out.

As to his role in the rest of the season, if it can enable him to prove he's still got it in him, then he'll do it. I sensed that was his task in Singapore - show he's still the fastest and use it to damage Hamilton - Massa's benefit was secondary to him, but it would have given the team what they wanted. Without a safety car, you'd assume that would have worked with consummate ease, but instead he ended up buried in towards the back. He's probably not interested in helping Massa or the team all that much, but if he can see something in it for himself, he looks very much up to the task. That's what Ferrari seemed to probe with the Singapore strategy - don't forget he messed up both of his qualifying laps in the 2nd last corner too (taking too much inside kerb each time). He'd have ended up a couple of tenths up on Hamilton in qualifying if it wasn't for that.

Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But isn't F2008 a short wheel based car? I
> certainly read somewhere that it was.

Shorter apparently, but not short.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 11:14PM by gav.
Date: September 30, 2008 11:19PM
Posted by: Ali
I still think the championship in on. Kovalainen can hardly take Massa's points away while Kimi can easily take some Hamilton's points. Besides, Lewis is not driving masterfully so he can perfectly suffer some kind of problem during these three races. It wouldn't be a surprise if Massa wins the title in Brazil with a 1-2. But anyway, I would prefer to be in Lewis position.
Date: September 30, 2008 11:25PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
I remember in the end of last year an interview with Rob Smedley when he was asked about the behaviour of the future car without Tc and Massa's situation wihtout it, he said that at opposite of many ppl thought he and the Ferrari engineers firmly believed that Felipe was going to be the one benefited for this year, it wasn't just turning the system off, but also to compensate the loss the teams were going to need cocentrate much more pressure towards the rear wheels/ rear wings to have a more stable car then favouring the understeer drivers who are few, one of them being Felipe himself, I think Rob indeed was right seeing from this point of the season
Date: September 30, 2008 11:32PM
Posted by: danny87
I would really like Massa to win the title at Brazil, just think of the fans, they would go mad, it would be great for him, although there is a lot of pressure, Mclaren look like a better team.

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".
Date: October 01, 2008 12:08AM
Posted by: Isaint
gav Wrote:
> Basic physics suggest that the longer wheel base
> makes the Ferrari easier to drive. Perhaps not
> easy to drive on the limit, but from a purely
> mechanical point of view, it should certainly be a
> more consistent base.
>
> Presumably that doesn't suit Kimi. I guess he
> likes to feel on top of the car, not the other way
> around, and it sometimes catches him out.
>
> As to his role in the rest of the season, if it
> can enable him to prove he's still got it in him,
> then he'll do it. I sensed that was his task in
> Singapore - show he's still the fastest and use it
> to damage Hamilton - Massa's benefit was secondary
> to him, but it would have given the team what they
> wanted. Without a safety car, you'd assume that
> would have worked with consummate ease, but
> instead he ended up buried in towards the back.
> He's probably not interested in helping Massa or
> the team all that much, but if he can see
> something in it for himself, he looks very much up
> to the task. That's what Ferrari seemed to probe
> with the Singapore strategy - don't forget he
> messed up both of his qualifying laps in the 2nd
> last corner too (taking too much inside kerb each
> time). He'd have ended up a couple of tenths up on
> Hamilton in qualifying if it wasn't for that.
>
>
> Monza972 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But isn't F2008 a short wheel based car? I
> > certainly read somewhere that it was.
>
> Shorter apparently, but not short.

Easier to drive in a straight line but anything with a bend appart from long curves would not suit as much as the Macca Chassis.
Date: October 01, 2008 09:07AM
I remember drivers saying that China and Japan are very much like the German track that is why I think Mclaren will have the advantage on these tracks.

Mclaren need it to be cooler though and this is not really the case in China.

The title is up for grabs thats for sure but I just think Lewis can relax a bit now and get the form back he had GB and Germany.

In a way I hope kimi and Kovy dont get involved and its a straight fight with lewis and massa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 09:21AM by marcl.
Date: October 01, 2008 03:59PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
the good news for Ferrari should be that if i'm not mt for Fuji and Brazil one of the compounds is the one who fits perfectly the car, the other is more Mclaren kind
Date: October 01, 2008 04:35PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Isaint Wrote:
> Yeah the Ferrari has definitely found more
> performance .. how it will translate itself in the
> next three races is another thing.
> As for Kimi backing Massa .... forget it. He has
> never been a team player and he can't be bothered.
> The truth is he can't drive the car. Where as
> Massa seems to drive it straight out the box, Kimi
> has to wait for heat in the tyres, heat in the
> breaks, heat in the track. Look appart from
> singapore the race is always over by the time he
> get's going. The ferrari has always been a
> difficult car to drive with it's longer wheel base
> and the way the chassis uses the tyre, as apposed
> to the Mclaren wich is basically designed like an
> over powered cart. With it's shorter wheel base.
>
> Massa has been with the Ferrari a longer time than
> Kimi but he ( Kimi ) also quiet adamantly refused
> to be advised by M. Shumacher over the car and the
> team.
> So now, we see the result.

Kimi's problem is heating tyres and the front of the car...he likes aggressive oversteering car like McLaren is not the kind of car that F2008 is.Most problems Kimi will have are on the tracks that have slow corners because he can't turn to the corners like he wants.this could get solved next year with slick tyres that are more Michelin likes and allow you to turn to the corners the way Kimi wants.

about Michaels advises...they actually do hurt Kimi more than help because Massa and Michael have similar driving style while Kimi has completely different style and these current Ferrari cars are still build for Michael's style not Kimi's ...hopefully that will change next year when we will have new rules and regulations.

Kimi is backing Massa he already did that at Singapore...Kimi's manager said after the race that Kimi was only after the 2nd place in the first place despitate having 3 laps more fuel onboard than Massa, he would have crossed finish line after Massa despitate once again having a better race pace.The goal for Kimi is to win a constructors championship title and maybe to win a race if it doesn't mess Felipe's race in anyway.
Date: October 01, 2008 04:59PM
Posted by: mikef1
"Kimi's problem is heating tyres and the front of the car...he likes aggressive oversteering car like McLaren is not the kind of car that F2008 is.Most problems Kimi will have are on the tracks that have slow corners because he can't turn to the corners like he wants.this could get solved next year with slick tyres that are more Michelin likes and allow you to turn to the corners the way Kimi wants.

about Michaels advises...they actually do hurt Kimi more than help because Massa and Michael have similar driving style while Kimi has completely different style and these current Ferrari cars are still build for Michael's style not Kimi's ...hopefully that will change next year when we will have new rules and regulations."

Actually you're wrong, Michael always prefered a pointy car with oversteer, he liked the car to dance at the back end just like Kimi and Lewis prefer. Schumi's team mates used to complain that they couldn't handle the car because of how much it oversteered.
Fernando seems to prefer more understeer like Massa and can deal with that better. The Ferrari has a tendency to understeer especially in slow corners compared with the Mclaren (probably due to it's longer wheelbase) and it simply suits Massa's style more.
Date: October 01, 2008 05:09PM
Posted by: requenov
vesuvius Wrote:

> about Michaels advises...they actually do hurt
> Kimi more than help because Massa and Michael have
> similar driving style while Kimi has completely
> different style and these current Ferrari cars are
> still build for Michael's style not Kimi's

> ...hopefully that will change next year when we
> will have new rules and regulations.

So Kimi wins the WDC and Ferrari continue building F1 cars for Michael Schumacher's style. Mamma Mia! I thought Ferrari engineers were cleverer.
Date: October 01, 2008 08:15PM
marcl Wrote:
> I remember drivers saying that China and Japan are
> very much like the German track that is why I
> think Mclaren will have the advantage on these
> tracks.

You'd have said Singapore was much more to McLarens advantage, on paper. All bumps and slowish, sharpish corners. Yet come both qualifying and the race, Ferrari destroyed them on pace.
Date: October 01, 2008 08:29PM
Posted by: IWE
vesuvius Wrote:
> The goal for Kimi is to win a
> constructors championship title and maybe to win a
> race if it doesn't mess Felipe's race in anyway.

This makes me laugh.. Kimi said after Spa to MTV3, that he didnt want to finnish race at all if he cannot win. After last race he did also say something similiar and really stupid. So he have already lost lots of points because of his @#$%& stupidness.

And about Ferrari still making cars for Schumis style I have to say this is just the Finnish dream. If this theory wud be true, then Kimi did win the championship with a car wich was even less like he wanted it to be (and sure with tons of luck). They didnt deside suddently after 1 year that "hey guys! how about making car wich doesnt fit at all to our #1 driver?". Kimi can drive about fast as Massa with this car when he just feels "motivated". Ferrari is doing what they can for making car good as possible for Kimi, even its bit difficult because of Kimis lack of interest for testing or basicly for anything around racing.

Ferrari should just stop making silly excuses to defend this money waste, because they make themselfs sound really unprofessional..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: October 01, 2008 09:37PM
IWE Wrote:
> vesuvius Wrote:
> -----
> > The goal for Kimi is to win a
> > constructors championship title and maybe to win
> a
> > race if it doesn't mess Felipe's race in
> anyway.
>
>
> This makes me laugh.. Kimi said after Spa to MTV3,
> that he didnt want to finnish race at all if he
> cannot win. After last race he did also say
> something similiar and really stupid. So he have
> already lost lots of points because of his @#$%&
> stupidness.
>
> And about Ferrari still making cars for Schumis
> style I have to say this is just the Finnish
> dream. If this theory wud be true, then Kimi did
> win the championship with a car wich was even less
> like he wanted it to be (and sure with tons of
> luck). They didnt deside suddently after 1 year
> that "hey guys! how about making car wich doesnt
> fit at all to our #1 driver?". Kimi can drive
> about fast as Massa with this car when he just
> feels "motivated". Ferrari is doing what they can
> for making car good as possible for Kimi, even its
> bit difficult because of Kimis lack of interest
> for testing or basicly for anything around
> racing.
>
> Ferrari should just stop making silly excuses to
> defend this money waste, because they make
> themselfs sound really unprofessional..

This is about as true as you can get it!!
I totally agree. The stupidity is with Ferrari why continue to employ someone who just wants to turn up track side with out any input and drive a perfect car?
And V. sorry mate, if Kimi is backing Massa .... well I would not want to see him in action when he choses not to .... what would he do? A hot formation lap and drive into the pits?
Man, this guy is a ghost sooner he's laid to rest the better.
Date: October 01, 2008 09:45PM
He's refreshing. He's not someone born into the corporate machine. He does what he absolutely must do, and nothing more. He's the opposite of the typical F1 driver. He just loves to drive, and that's all he wants to do. It's the dream you live as an early teenager. Drive fast cars, be around hot women continually, get lots of money, and @#$%& what anyone else thinks. He's not out to break records and anything like that. He just wants to drive. Fast.

So long as Ferrari are happy giving him that money and letting him do what he does or doesn't do, then I can't see the problem. For us fans, he's brilliant (who doesn't enjoy a good Kimi interview now? :D). I love it personally.
Date: October 01, 2008 09:57PM
Yeah ... well I'd like to have millions in the bank .... also a child hood dream of mine but if I don't work to wards that objective. Guess what? It ain't gonna happen. As far as him loving to drive fast cars, well welcome to 21 others on the grid. As for the girls well that goes back to the millions in the bank .... you don't need to drive fast cars, ask Flavio. Finally in case you haven't noticed KImi's interviews are getting shorter and shorter even by his standards ...... so are his results..............?
Date: October 01, 2008 11:34PM
Posted by: superchargednut
IWE Wrote:
> vesuvius Wrote:
> -----
> > The goal for Kimi is to win a
> > constructors championship title and maybe to win
> a
> > race if it doesn't mess Felipe's race in
> anyway.
>
>
> This makes me laugh.. Kimi said after Spa to MTV3,
> that he didnt want to finnish race at all if he
> cannot win. After last race he did also say
> something similiar and really stupid. So he have
> already lost lots of points because of his @#$%&
> stupidness.
>
> And about Ferrari still making cars for Schumis
> style I have to say this is just the Finnish
> dream. If this theory wud be true, then Kimi did
> win the championship with a car wich was even less
> like he wanted it to be (and sure with tons of
> luck). They didnt deside suddently after 1 year
> that "hey guys! how about making car wich doesnt
> fit at all to our #1 driver?". Kimi can drive
> about fast as Massa with this car when he just
> feels "motivated". Ferrari is doing what they can
> for making car good as possible for Kimi, even its
> bit difficult because of Kimis lack of interest
> for testing or basicly for anything around
> racing.
>
> Ferrari should just stop making silly excuses to
> defend this money waste, because they make
> themselfs sound really unprofessional..

The closing comment in this post has been moderated because it added absolutely nothing to the discussion, and could be seen as offensive and inflammatory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2008 07:33PM by Locke Cole.
Date: October 02, 2008 01:44AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
It's funny to see how you guys bash a driver out of the blue just because he is not having a good year...he didn`t have a good 2006 season either and I don't remember this much bashing towards the guy. I think the problem here is that you are too much of a Ferrari fan and can't stand seeing your team lose ;) Just wait and see...next year he'll wipe the floor clean with Massa and win the championship again...
Date: October 02, 2008 07:42AM
gav Wrote:
> marcl Wrote:
> -----
> > I remember drivers saying that China and Japan
> are
> > very much like the German track that is why I
> > think Mclaren will have the advantage on these
> > tracks.
>
> You'd have said Singapore was much more to
> McLarens advantage, on paper. All bumps and
> slowish, sharpish corners. Yet come both
> qualifying and the race, Ferrari destroyed them on
> pace.

For some reason I think mclaren made their cars to high and to stiff, if you look at them down the straight with the bumps they are about the only car not to spark.

I would have also said monaco and valencia would have been mclaren tracks but ferrari were faster at both of them as well.

Ferrari has better traction than the mclaren so this helps on them tracks.
Date: October 02, 2008 08:51AM
Posted by: mortal
who doesn't enjoy a good Kimi interview now?

I'm waiting, I like the guy, but he has the personality of a gnat unfortunately, monosyllabic is a word that springs to mind.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy