Alonso 2008??? Renault ??? possible combination???

Posted by brnco 
Re: Alonso 2008??? Renault ??? possible combination???
Date: August 07, 2007 02:40PM
Posted by: chet
But wasnt it Honda who did give Senna the newer engines, and thats why he did get more engine failures ?

So he was effectivley testing them for Prost!!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 07, 2007 02:42PM
Posted by: marcl
I had not heard that one before tbh.
Date: August 07, 2007 02:52PM
Posted by: mikef1
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But wasnt it Honda who did give Senna the newer
> engines, and thats why he did get more engine
> failures ?
>
> So he was effectivley testing them for Prost!!!!

No, Prost claimed that Senna was getting different spec engines to him. It was the same at Williams with Mansell claiming that Piquet was getting better engines but again Honda protested those accusations.

Honestly if you watched the races in '88 and '89 particualarly on the faster tracks, other than Monza '89 where Senna was miles ahead of Prost before he retired, they were pretty close so i doubt it was the case at all.
Date: August 07, 2007 02:58PM
In Germany 1989 senna was behind prost until prost got stuck in 5th gear and senna past.

Prost was going to ferrari so I think he just said these things to make sure he got equal treatment.
Date: August 07, 2007 03:04PM
Posted by: mikef1
Yeah they were nose to tail for most of the race. Prost had a really slow stop, then Senna came in and had an even worse stop came out behind Prost chased him hard and then Prost lost top gear.
Date: August 07, 2007 03:12PM
Infact the one driver who had the problems in 1989 was senna and not prost.

Brazil, senna own fault.
Monaco lost 2 gears
Canada engine
USA electrics
France drive shaft
GB gear box caused a spin
Italy engine
Portugal senna mistake not letting the black flag mansell pass.
Japan dq
Australia crash

Senna really did not finish that many races in 1989 looking at this.

Anyway this is way off topic
Date: August 07, 2007 03:31PM
Posted by: Ali
I thjink Alonso has proven he can be consistenly fater than Lewis, specially in race pace. In fact, Lewis has been "helped" somehow by the presence of Alonso as we can see at Silverstone, where Lewis decided to set-up the car by himself and was 1/2 second slower than Alonso.

If he is leaving I don't think it is because he can be beaten by his team-mate, but because he is not confortably in such enviorment. From the beginning of the year there has been signs of more synpathy from the team to Lewis than to Alonso, even in Sepang (2 race), where Fernando was quite ahead of the rest but his wife/girfriend had to go to Renault box to be able to see tha race in "normal" conditions because the team was crazy with Lewis.

I still think Alonso is an awesome driver with a childish attitude sometimes (we'll see if Lewis is any different, but after Monaco and Hungaroring...), but this year Alonso has been in the wrong place at the wrong moment.

I would like to see him in BMW...and let Lewis to race alone and show if he is as good as he claims to be.
Date: August 07, 2007 03:33PM
I think Alonso has proven he can be consistenly fater than Lewis, specially in race pace. In fact, Lewis has been "helped" somehow by the presence of Alonso as we could see at Silverstone, where Lewis decided to set-up the car by himself and was 1/2 second slower than Alonso.

If he is leaving I don't think it is because he can be beaten by his team-mate, but because he is not confortably in such enviorment. From the beginning of the year there has been signs of more synpathy from the team to Lewis than to Alonso, even in Sepang (2 race), where Fernando was quite ahead of the rest but his wife/girfriend had to go to Renault box to be able to see tha race because the team was crazy with Lewis anmd ignoring FA.

I still think Alonso is an awesome driver with a childish attitude sometimes (we'll see if Lewis is any different, but after Monaco and Hungaroring...), but this year Alonso has been in the wrong place at the wrong moment.

I would like to see him in BMW...and let Lewis to race alone and show if he is as good as he claims to be.
Date: August 07, 2007 03:35PM
Ooops!
twice!? sorry...
Date: August 07, 2007 03:38PM
There have also been races where Lewis has been faster than alonso so it swings in round abouts.

The team turns up to a gp with a base setup the drivers then tweek this.

Lewis went a totally different route at silvertsone and it did not work, also remember that unlike alonso lewis had not tested there a few weeks before the race.

MS also used his team mates setups if he thought they were better its how teams work.

Fissi and alonso drove very very different ways so fissi could not use alonso's setup thats probably why alonso is not used to this.
Date: August 07, 2007 03:43PM
These setup issue has been going around for some time and it is well know that Lewis used mainly most of Alonos's friday work (as far as I know, perhaps I'm mistaken).
Date: August 07, 2007 03:53PM
Its always been the same in every team though I really think people have made more out of it than is needed.

Senna sometimes used prosts
MS some times used RB's and Massa's
MS used Brundles and piquet
Mansell used Piquet.

Its part of working in a team and make the car better, they study data.

I am sure Alonso used trullis some times and same the other way round.

A racing car driver always wants the best they want to win simple as that. What happened on Sat was very wrong Lewis should have moved over and Alonso should not have been shouting about his tyres.
Something tells me that Alonso's changing team isn't a thing that he's going to do. It's my opinion but you can see that Renault isn't so fast as it was a year ago and, as Flavio says, Renault's weakness isn't just because of Alonso's leaving. It seems to me that Renault won't have a brilliant car next season but Alonso needs a fast car to fight for the championship.

You can see that relations between Lewis and Fernando aren't so clean as needed. But it seems to me that it's similar to times of Prost and Senna. Two racers that do their best in every GP can't be good friends even in McLaren that "offers equal chances". Each of them can be champion this year. And something tells me that Alonso are nervous because of the achievements of Lewis.
Date: August 07, 2007 04:02PM
Posted by: tripleM
With regard to using the setups from the other driver it is probably a team call on how the post-practice discussions are conducted and what information is shared.

When there's a rookie and a 2 time WDC driving for the same team is no surprise who benefits from any information being shared.

Date: August 07, 2007 04:04PM
As ron said the difference was years ago there was not the net and as neither driver was british it did not make the press that often.

I should imagine in Brzail and France it did.
to tripleM:

And who benefits? What do you think?
Date: August 07, 2007 04:10PM
I would say Lewis would benefit but whos to say Lewis has not found things as well?

No one knows anyway as none of us are there.

You could say they all benefit from the testing Pedro does as well. They should all be working as a team.
Date: August 07, 2007 04:28PM
Posted by: tripleM
"And who benefits? What do you think?"

The one who knew less before the meeting.

more stories!

McLaren are reportedly so "p***ed off" with Fernando Alonso that they have told him he can leave if he wants to.

Fernando Alonso is "desperate" to return to Renault next season, according to a source close to his former team.

Planet f1

franzose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems to me that Renault won't have a
> brilliant car next season but Alonso needs a fast
> car to fight for the championship.

Ahem. 2005; I beg to differ slightly. The Renault was more reliable, but not quite as fast as the McLaren. ;-)

This may just all blow over. I personally hope it does.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy