Alonso 2008??? Renault ??? possible combination???

Posted by brnco 
Re: Alonso 2008??? Renault ??? possible combination???
Date: August 07, 2007 11:09AM
Posted by: mikef1
Frentzen wanted to honour his contract with Sauber who gave him his break into F1, the situation with Karl's accident sealed that.

"I agree ....it is just a psychological factor that is causing Alonso so much trouble in my opinion as well....i think it is his mind set that Mclaren are treating British driver better than him.....but it is just Hamilton doing a better job as marcl said"

We don't know the atmosphere at Mclaren in reality but it is obvious that Fernando had problems adapting at the start of the season to the new car, new tyres and new team. Lewis who already knew the team, would have felt at home straight away whereas Fernando took longer to integrate given that he was with Renault for five seasons.

Also on balance i'd say that Lewis has been the most consistent front running driver this season but has also had his fair share of good luck. Fernando has made more mistakes but has had more impressive drives in races than Lewis imo.

Fernando's biggest problem is qualifying, he looked good for pole at several races only to screw up in Q3 when it really mattered. If not for that i believe he would be leading the championship now.
Date: August 07, 2007 11:17AM
Posted by: marcl
Yep but thats the difference, lewis is not messing up quali 3 where as alonso has done a few times.

Also in Spain and Canada he made quite big mistakes that cost him.
Date: August 07, 2007 11:20AM
I wouldn't call Spain a mistake, both Massa and Fernando took a risk going into the first corner and Fernando came off worse, a racing incident imo. Canada was a piss poor race for him though, he made far too many unforced errors but then again the safety car benefited Lewis and not Fernando in that race.
Date: August 07, 2007 11:29AM
Posted by: gav
Alonso will not retire in the next couple of season. He's far too pumped up and motivated. It's easy to argue he's too motivated at the moment.

I don't think Renault have the budget or the car to tempt Alonso back at the moment, Ferrari will stick with their current drivers next year, and it only leaves BMW or McLaren with viable seats in my opinion. I just can't see him leaving. I still think he'll win the title this season, and if he does all of a sudden he's in the ascendency once more. Plus Hamilton will likely suffer from 2nd season syndrome, getting complacent, allowing Alonso to firmly establish himself at McLaren

Just my 2 pennies.
Date: August 07, 2007 11:38AM
There are now stories that alonso is trying to leave mclaren now and either sit out the rest of this year or go to another team.

Its true we dont know what is going on behind closed doors, it all reminds me of the jpm stuff.

Is it just these 2 drivers need to feel loved? or is there a problem at mclaren with the way they treat their drivers.

If there was a big problem at mclaren i find it strang that people like senna, berger, prost, dc, mika, kimi all stayed there as long as they did.

Alonso should be taking lead in the team but just seems to complain about things. I dont think the move was the dream he was hoping for, but it could have been worse he could have been in a slow renault this year.
Date: August 07, 2007 11:53AM
From f1-live

Zoom
Alonso's short relationship with McLaren in turmoil

Fernando Alonso, who is at daggers drawn with his McLaren co-driver Lewis Hamilton, has been told by boss Ron Dennis that he can leave McLaren at the end of the season, a report claimed on Tuesday.

The double world champion's future is up in the air as his relationship with Hamilton broke down at the Hungarian Grand Prix last weekend when he was penalised for his part in trying to prevent the Briton from starting in pole.

The Times quoted what the paper described as a 'well-placed' source as confirming Alonso may quit the team two years ahead of schedule.

"My understanding is that he's been told he can go because they're so fed up with him. Ron is just very pissed off with both of them," the unnamed source said.

These comments follow Alonso's confirmation that his future at the British team was uncertain. The unsettled Spaniard, asked by sports daily Marca if he was planning to stay with McLaren, replied: "I don't know."

Two likely destinations for Alonso if he were to sever his ties with McLaren are Renault, with whom he won his two world titles, and BMW, who are yet to confirm Nick Heidfeld for 2008.
Heidfeld for Macca??? That would be awesome! Heidfeld would finally have a competitive car, a car that would lead him to victory!
MW's Mario Theissen has counted the Munich manufacturer out of speculation that Fernando Alonso could be Hinwil-bound at the end of 2007.

A Renault return is the obvious favourite amid speculation that Spaniard Alonso wants to desert his McLaren contract, but it has been pointed out by the media that BMW-Sauber team principal Theissen has been recently open in his admiration for F1's reigning world champion.

Sport-Informations-Dienst, however, quoted the German chief as saying in Hungary: "That is not momentarily a topic for us."

Instead, it is rumoured strongly that - during the August break - Theissen will finalise Nick Heidfeld's new contract to drive alongside Robert Kubica in 2008.

[formula-1.updatesport.com]

Date: August 07, 2007 12:33PM
Alonso to replace massa, I thought massa had only been signed until the end of the year?

We shall see but I dont think he will be at mclaren next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2007 12:44PM by marcl.
Date: August 07, 2007 01:18PM
Posted by: chet
If Mario dumps Nick I would be very angry! Nick has done alot for them imo, and when Kubica came along, a new 'star' Nick pushed hard to equal him, and now this season is by far the quicker of the two. I dont think Mario will dumb him though... Renault is his best bet and I guess now with the car not so good we will get a chance to see how good the last few cars were ;-)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 07, 2007 01:29PM
Question is will he still be at mclaren for the rest of the year?
Ok so Hamilton should have let hime past in the fuel burn phase. Why did Alonso back off then? Why wasn't he simply in the cue first? Why hasn't he been as good as Lewis. Lewis has been as quick in almost every weekend and has been more consistent. Alonso wasn't so good in the Renault when his team mate was competitive. Alonso clearly is not as strong. If i was Ron Dennis i would seriously consider Button should alonso ask to leave. He is another good Brit who is consistent. Tis year i haven't really been imporessed by Kimi or Alonso both have had there moments but not consistently.

Helmet Courtesy of Dangerous.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0, ASUS P5N32-SLI E
896MB nVIDIA GeForce BFG 260GTX OC, 19"SONY SDM-HS95PR
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Date: August 07, 2007 01:39PM
Yeah, no doubt. He wants a 3rd straight title bad, and Mclaren will give him one.

Wanting to quit this soon just because he has a competitive team mate. Not really World Champion stuff.

Helmet Courtesy of Dangerous.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0, ASUS P5N32-SLI E
896MB nVIDIA GeForce BFG 260GTX OC, 19"SONY SDM-HS95PR
4GB DDR2 800MHz
Date: August 07, 2007 01:50PM
Alonso dropped further behind lewis as he made a mistake and was to busy holding kimi off.

Alonso's in lap before his tyre change was also very very slow.

I know lewis messed things up but there should have been no reason why they could both not get in 2 quali laps.
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 07:49AM by jawwad01.
TBF to Alonso, Prost objected to having Senna as his team-mate during 1989, and again when Senna wanted to drive for Williams in 1993, hence he blocked him on his contract. Some drivers are like that, but these days, it seems a bit weird and OOC for drivers to not want somebody as their team-mate.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: August 07, 2007 02:24PM
Its sort of the same thing I guess.

I mean, do Mclaren prefer Lewis ?

Because it was arguable that Honda prefered Senna over Prost, and thats why he felt Senna was getting better equipment etc.

Date: August 07, 2007 02:27PM
Yes and the race Prost said that in was Italy 1989 and look who engine blew up and look who won the race.
Date: August 07, 2007 02:28PM
Senna was always an "engine man" and Prost a "chassis man" due to their amazing abilities in those areas.
Prost accused Honda of giving Senna better engines at Monza 1989 but that was refuted and Prost later appologised.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy