Medals not points

Posted by marcl 
Medals not points
Date: November 18, 2008 11:52AM
Posted by: marcl
At first I thought this was a joke but looking at it I think it could work.

[en.f1-live.com]

Bernie Ecclestone is confident his plan to replace the current points system with Olympic Games-style 'medals' will be introduced in time for the 2009 season opener.

The F1 Chief Executive revealed recently he wants the drivers on the podium to be presented gold, silver and bronze medals, rather than awarded ten, eight and six points respectively.

The change, he argues, will rid the sport of the situation of the 2008 series finale in Brazil, where Lewis Hamilton was able to finish just fifth and still be crowned world champion.

If Ecclestone's new system had been in place, the McLaren driver and Felipe Massa would have been tied on five gold medals apiece, setting up a dash to be first to the chequered flag and the title.

It is believed that points will still be awarded to the teams for the constructors' championship on the basis of the current system.

Drivers finishing races 'out of the medals', meanwhile, will not score points, but their finishing positions over the season will determine their championship ranking.

Ecclestone, 78, told The Times: "The FIA and all the teams are behind it and it will be done."

He insists that the system will ensure that the emphasis of the front-running drivers' approach to races will be on winning, rather than scoring good points.

"The whole point will be, when they get to Melbourne for the first race, the guys will want to leave there with a gold medal. They (will not) want to leave with ten, eight or six points," Ecclestone said.

The matter has been discussed by FIA President Max Mosley, but the details are yet to be worked out.

Ecclestone's system will require ratification by the World Motor Sport Council at its December meeting.
Re: Medals not points
Date: November 18, 2008 12:04PM
Posted by: razgriz
nah,quite ugly for me,i'de better prefer a gold w/ couple of points haha
Date: November 18, 2008 12:27PM
Posted by: flat tyre
It would seem weird, but I'm confident that if it was used it would produce some good racing. But, it would make the midfield seem a bit pointless (no pun intended). Maybe they could issue the 'medals', but also some sort of reward for finishing in the top 6 or 8, maybe a mension on the medal table.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: November 18, 2008 12:27PM
Posted by: gav
Not a fan. The best driver over the season could very likely not win then.

Extreme example:

Driver A could crash out of 12 events and win 6 and still be crowned champion, when in truth he was utterly rubbish.

Driver C, in a poorer car who's driven his socks off to finish near the front every race, and who might have been rewarded with the title in the current system, would have no hope in hell.

It's not, but if you'd read it without knowing where it had come from, you'd think someone was trying to out-Bild Bild.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 12:29PM by gav.
Date: November 18, 2008 12:33PM
Yeah that is the thing, if this system was in place this year Kubica would have been out the running way before he was.

Massa would have been world champ, lewis 2nd and kimi 3rd, alonso 4th.
Date: November 18, 2008 12:33PM
Posted by: gin
haven't they had a similar system in the past? not medals but in terms wins,2nd and 3rd places? I remember when reading F1 history book about all the years from 1950s that there were instances when due to the scoring system people won championships by being rubbish most of the time but wining a few races...

maybe it was a dream or maybe not, I need to find that book again. But yeah, extreme examples like above might happen and there will then be many angry people....

Date: November 18, 2008 12:51PM
Posted by: Jackal
This is the biggest BS I've heard in a long time - I mean, most of the newly introduced rules make sense, and even the new look of the cars can be accepted (it's ugly, yes, but sure not as ugly as what we've seen those last years)... but that would completely ruin all the fun. Because let's face it: a battle for third place can be very interesting now - and it may just be worthless then. We might indeed see a little more overtaking near the front, but we'll see a lot less overtaking in the midfield.
Date: November 18, 2008 12:55PM
Posted by: gav
gin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> haven't they had a similar system in the past? not
> medals but in terms wins,2nd and 3rd places? I
> remember when reading F1 history book about all
> the years from 1950s that there were instances
> when due to the scoring system people won
> championships by being rubbish most of the time
> but wining a few races...

Nah, the old system was dropped scores, where only so many results counted toward the end total. I guess (and it is a total guess, as I've never looked into it) is that it was because in the past drivers and teams could choose to do certain events which clashed - Indy 500 and usually Monaco being the most common one. It was dropped after 1989.

It rewarded drivers who were consistently strong, the exact opposite of what this proposal would do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 12:57PM by gav.
Date: November 18, 2008 01:04PM
Posted by: chet
this isnt the olympics!
points have always been fine enough.
FIA and Bernie should just admit their wrong and return back to 10,6,4,3,2,1. They know it needs to be done, its what most of us want so why cant they just do it?!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 18, 2008 01:24PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
they should just use the current system with extra point for fastest lap imo. Will keep drivers pushing all the way through the race

Date: November 18, 2008 01:29PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
dear me, that is a terrible plan. they are really trying their best to bring the sport down aren't they.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 18, 2008 01:40PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I think this would take the focus out of the constructor's championship a bit, and I can't really see teams going for that. It's a shame that most people think it should be 10 points for 1st place...I wouldn't mind a point system like this:

Date: November 18, 2008 01:43PM
The thing is its Ferrari that are the team that keep complaining about the points, but they were one of the reasons it was changed due to them swapping cars around.
Date: November 18, 2008 01:48PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
My new system:

win = 1 point
everything else = 0
Date: November 18, 2008 01:49PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i think 20 is too much. f1's current system is good as compared to most other series, the final tally is relatively low.

why not just add two points to the winner? 12,8,6,5,4,3,2,1. i think that would be fine

Rodrigo007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My new system:
>
> win = 1 point
> everything else = 0

don't want many teams in f1, do you.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 01:49PM by SchueyFan.
Date: November 18, 2008 01:51PM
The teams will get the same points as they do now, this system only affects the drivers.

It could make them race harder rather than be happy with 4th or 2nd.

Would Lewis have raced for 5th in Brazil no, would he have taken it easy behind Nico at Singapore nope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 01:52PM by marcl.
Date: November 18, 2008 01:56PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
> Rodrigo007 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My new system:
> >
> > win = 1 point
> > everything else = 0
>
> don't want many teams in f1, do you.

The teams will get the same points as they do now, this system only affects the drivers.
Date: November 18, 2008 02:00PM
Posted by: msater
I'd much rather Ecclestone to pick up on the IRL poins system, points for all drivers who finish, plus one for fastest lap and pole position..

I mean, it's not easy, driving at 200 hundred miles an hour for 1 hour and a half. So every driver who finshes to get a point.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: November 18, 2008 02:04PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
"lmao" quite frankly. If this goes through then it'll suit those utterly ridiculous cars pretty well.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 18, 2008 02:22PM
Posted by: red 5
9-6-4-3-2-1 worked perfectly
10-6-4-3-2-1 favoured winner a bit too much, but was still good.

10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 too much point scorers

but this proposal with medals is idiotic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy