Formula One 2015 (and beyond)

Posted by J i m 
Re: Formula One 2015 (and beyond)
Date: November 10, 2014 05:29PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
marcl schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tbh it was the same last year, towards the end of
> the year they all seem to get bored or just tired.

I see your point Marc, and indeed after a 20 race season it makes sense that the staff get tired.

In my view, though, those guys (the SKY staff) are paid good money, to travel around the world, drive the coolest cars, jump off airplanes and meet with celebrities at cool one of a kind events. They are not allowed to get tired really, are they?

Additionally, it is everyone's job to be professional at work, especially if you are claiming to be broadcaster nr. 1, as sky does. If I, as a consultant under-deliver at a project the client will reap me apart, regardless how tired I am.
Date: November 11, 2014 04:20AM
Posted by: EC83
SchueyFan Wrote:
> David Croft is also getting far worse as a
> commentator in my opinion, seems to be getting
> more and more smug and just provides useless stats
> - not to mention making plenty of errors.

Yeah, he's gone off the boil a bit. He's still miles better than James Allen though(Who even fails at hosting the press conferences sometimes).

Date: November 11, 2014 05:50AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yeah certainly, and Legard too. I guess that we had that one year with Brundle and DC which was really fun, and then it was always going to be a letdown to go back to the TV-head approach rather than two drivers. Not sure if there are any real alternatives for Sky anyway.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 11, 2014 06:09AM
That 2011 season was epic, and probably only the Murray/Martin years were better. It annoys me that that partnership only lasted one season, it had the potential to develop even better over time.

Date: November 11, 2014 09:39AM
Posted by: gav
James Allen was intolerable in his ITV days, but I've enjoyed listening to him since he moved to 5 Live and the free practice sessions he does for BBC. He's allowed to be much more insightful and natural rather than the dummy and false excitement approach ITV tried to mould him with (along with their entire team to be honest).

Good God, looking back how bad were ITV in the post-Murray days. I mean, we all knew they were bad, but somehow they were far, far worse in retrospect.
Date: November 11, 2014 04:30PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
gav Wrote:
> James Allen was intolerable in his ITV days, but
> I've enjoyed listening to him since he moved to 5
> Live and the free practice sessions he does for
> BBC. He's allowed to be much more insightful and
> natural rather than the dummy and false excitement
> approach ITV tried to mould him with

I agree :)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: November 11, 2014 08:45PM
I listened to the 2013 Hungarian GP on 5 Live as the BBC weren't showing it live and I didn't have Sky yet at that point. He didn't annoy me as much, no, but I was concentrating on what was supposedly happening in the race and trying to paint a picture of it in my head, so paid less attention to the commentary itself.
He also seemed to be better in the one Practice session I've seen him commentating on(That was a long time ago too, Brazil 2012 I think).
When I say "Better" though, I really mean "less shite". As he shows when he hosts press conferences and still says silly things sometimes, it's not really an excitement thing or an ITV thing - it's just what he's like. In particular the phrase "Thank you for that" gets on my nerves, it comes across as very patronising.

Date: November 11, 2014 09:52PM
Wow, pretty strong.

I hated him back in the ITV days as I thought he was the numpty he was showing and knew no better, but now he seems more like what I assume is his natural self I'd love to sit down and have a pint with him. He's a really knowledgeable guy and seems quite in tune with the political side of F1 too (an area which usually quickly bores me), whereas Kravitz is the more technical. I'd imagine a chat around a table with the two of them would be awesome.
Date: November 11, 2014 11:58PM
I guess he just rubs me up the wrong way with his general manner. Dave was the same when he was posting here too. Guess both of us have a low tolerance for certain character traits James seems to show.
Maybe a combination of that and an unfortunate situation where he might not be smug or smarmy at all, but unintentionally comes across on TV as being those things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 11:59PM by EC83.
Date: November 12, 2014 07:58AM
I know what you mean, when you start to notice irrirating quirks, you keep noticing them more and more and more and it just makes it even worse. Same with the Allen things you mention, then the Legard bingo and onto Croft etc.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 12, 2014 10:02AM
Posted by: marcl
Brundle also seems really fed up with F1 and I don't blame him. He seems fed up with the politics and all this engine and strike talk just like most of us are.

The problem is Brundle does not seem to able to hide as well as the others do, you can see it in his face.
Date: November 13, 2014 12:34PM
McLaren have confirmed they are running a MP4-29H tomorrow in a filming day.
Date: November 13, 2014 03:52PM
Posted by: Bandon23
Guys do you think Vettel will be in Ferrari or Red Bull or he will finish the season with 4 titles?
Date: November 13, 2014 04:28PM
I'm fairly confident Vettel won't be at Red Bull next season. ;)

He's going to Ferrari, but I guess they can't announce him until they've released Alonso or Raikkonen... or both.
Date: November 13, 2014 04:51PM
Posted by: Bandon23
gav schrieb:
> I'm fairly confident Vettel won't be at Red Bull
> next season. ;)
>
> He's going to Ferrari, but I guess they can't
> announce him until they've released Alonso or
> Raikkonen... or both.

He done five seasons with Red Bull and thats a good idea that F1 said to Sebastian: ''It's time to take a move Seb.'' or something like that. Imagine that Alonso has done 5 seasons in Ferrari and he is now signing for McLaren next season as his deal is already done but we have yet to see Ferrari might announce Sebastian Vettel to finish the season first as it is said by Ferrari president. But last time Bernie said to Sebastian that he's a good man to Ferrari, but thats a correct thing to drive him next season. But now we have to wait for Ferrari line-up 2015 and Sergio might attend Abu Dhabi weekend. I hope next season in 2015 has a good car for Ferrari, but I'm sure they will comeback.

What do you say? Can he finish the carrer with 4 titles, it seems temporarily NO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 04:53PM by Bandon23.
Date: November 14, 2014 02:17AM
marcl Wrote:
> The problem is Brundle does not seem to able to
> hide as well as the others do, you can see it in
> his face.

That's one of the things I love about him - he's allergic to bullshit and it shows. I can really identify with it.
He's one of a handful of people - in both TV presenting and comedy - who can make me LOL with a single perfectly-timed facial expression or raised eyebrow.

Date: November 14, 2014 10:25AM
gav Wrote:
> He's going to Ferrari, but I guess they can't
> announce him until they've released Alonso or
> Raikkonen... or both.

Or they could just do a Sauber ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 14, 2014 11:00PM
Posted by: Slash
Did you guys read what Ecclestone said about not caring for the young followers, but he'd rather have a 70 year old full of money?, because apparently we, the young ones have no money....

is he showing signs of dementia?... i've been a hardcore, i mean HARDCORE F1 Follower since 1998.. regardless of the time of the race, i've always watched every race, but seriously, F1 has dropped massive interest on me this season.. for many reasons, and i no longer watch the races religiously as i used to... i wonder how many people like me has lost as much if not more interest?, his comments would mean a tiny bit more if he was offering at least a good product but F1's been very bad this season and they know it i'm sure that a lot of people have lost interes... and that obviously translates in sponsors not finding it as attractive and that's why teams end uf without funds.

I'm sure the numers reflect what i'm saying, i remember at the start of the season that even some of the big teams were a bit worried and talked about "getting the public closer" and tbh as much as they tried hard to decide the champinoship on the last race i haven't seen signs of people raising interest lately.. and then he comes up with this?... is that the sort of thinking that kept F1 away for so long from a strong market such as USA?
Date: November 14, 2014 11:30PM
Posted by: Adman1138
F1 obviously needs to attract younger fans to survive, it needs somebody to replace those who shuffle of the mortal coil at the other end. And while 15 year olds don't have a lot of money right now they will in the future. I'm hoping they can do this in a sensible way, make it interesting to younger fans rather than making it all the younger fans and forgetting the rest of us. I'd hate to see F1 do something as stupid as the Formula E twitter power boost thing.

I've not loved this year, but I've not hated it, the Nico Lewis battle has been interesting enough, although the F1 media has been desperate to make it Prost Senna II. But given the engine development restrictions I'm worried we're looking at a long run of Mercedes domination which I'm not looking forward to. Especially as the other Merc engine teams seem unable or unwilling to challenge the works team.

As for Alonso, part of me thinks he's waiting to see if we get 3 car teams next year and if he can get himself into a third Merc, unlikely but I'm not sure why else they're stalling the announcement.
Date: November 15, 2014 12:06AM
Bernie's brain definitely isn't working as well as it used to, and it can only be a matter of time now before he either stands down or dies(And I get the impression he's got no intention of ever standing down). He'll be working from the same basic ideas for running the sport that he's worked from for many years, and recently they've become more and more out of touch with the sport's audience and with reality itself. With him being 84 now, it makes sense that he'll want to identify with other dinosaurs instead of young people, and it also makes sense that dementia of some kind must be creeping in.

Personally, ever since he made his stupid comment about "Hitler getting things done" which was back in 2009 and made off the back of a few other bizarre comments, I've stopped being a fan of the guy(I was always a big fan in the 90s and early 2000s) and thought it was maybe time for him to stop. That opinion has got steadily stronger since. I don't have any major problem with how this season has gone, but obviously some of the shortcomings of the rule changes have been masked by the closeness of the title battle(For example the Mercedes drivers going to Abu Dhabi just 17 points apart, thus guaranteeing it would've gone to the final race even with normal points), but in other seasons it would've made F1 look silly - and still probably will if double points for the final race is there for the foreseeable future. Plus there's the prospect of similar, dafter rules being brought in as well.
Bernie in his heyday was brilliant and did great things for F1, but he's past it and it's really time for him to go now IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 10:10PM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy