Re: Martin Taylor, Birmingham's defensor
Date: March 09, 2008 11:30PM
Posted by: TC
Imran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This tackle is prob worse than what injured him
> but luckily Nani saw it coming and pulled out of
> going for the ball.

Not probably, it is. He charged in aiming for the player, unlike Taylor who just done a mistimed tackle from a standing start.
Date: March 10, 2008 06:10AM
Posted by: Guimengo
That is a horrendous challenge, red card in my book. And Imran, my foot slightly touched the guy who had just kicked me in the stomach, and I got kicked on my chin (blood marks still there) and worse. You are comparing Beckham on Simeone in 1998 to Taylor on Eduardo, and I was walking out the field myself before the ref came even close (my first sending off).
Date: March 10, 2008 09:53AM
Posted by: gav
The Bardsley 'challenge' on Pienaar yesterday was horrific. I hope given the last 2 weeks it wasn't intentional, but it was just horrible. Only a yellow, but only because the officials mustn't have seen how bad it was. I think it's out of their normal control as the ref's punished him, but there's not many more clear-cut red cards than that.

Sepp Pratter wants FIFA to look at the Taylor tackle to see if it should be extended. That's a very, very dangerous precedent to set.

Ronaldo has complained about a "lack of protection for skillful players", but perhaps if he didn't dive around quite as much, they'd should him a bit more respect. I love watching Ronaldo, and while he does it less now, he's still got that cheat shadow over him.
Date: March 10, 2008 03:28PM
Well, Kaká a couple of weeks ago complained saying he was "tired of getting hit", around the time he hurt his knee. He's not a diver :p
Date: March 10, 2008 04:59PM
Posted by: Bruninho
taylor should've been banned for the same time Eduardo will be out of action, this is just silly...3 games out?

Date: March 10, 2008 08:53PM
Ban someone for 9 months for a mistimed tackle? Thank god you are not in charge of the FA.

I wonder if half the people commenting have actually looked at the tackle properly, he didn't go charging in, it was practically a standing start. I have seen much, much worse tackles from Eduardo himself and he actually meant to harm the player in those, the only difference is the players studs were not stuck in the ground when he hit them so legs didn't break.
Taylor quite clearly went for the ball and was just out done by Eduardo's pace. That is worth a sending off and nothing more. I find it amazing that people care so much simply because his leg broke, if he just tripped up as usually happens in most mistimed challenges no one in this thread would even care. In fact they probably wouldn't have even seen the incident on TV mistimed challenges happen every week.
Date: March 10, 2008 09:27PM
Watching it at full speed you can see it's not that bad a tackle. It's stupid, he'll have regretted it immediately, it was a red card and perhaps another couple of games could be added to his suspension, but that's it. Should players be banned given the severity of the injury they're involved in? The Blackburn player who fouled Cisse, halving his leg wouldn't have deserved it. Whereas Bardsley will likely not be banned at all for his much, much worse challenge. Where do you draw the line?

By all means add to suspensions, and they do, but you can't just go "ooh, that wasn't a pretty sight, that's 6 months".
Date: March 11, 2008 01:42AM
well, lets see what happens if you or TC are tackled by someone in the same way when playing soccer... I wonder if you two would have the same opinion. TBH it should be the same rule for everyone, if you ever cause any injury to another player, you should be banned for the same time he wont be able to play! This way these defenders will think twice before tackling hard these skilful players. Kaka complained and even Cristiano Ronaldo (and I dont rate him as good) was complaining, he said that he might change his style if these defenders keep trying to tackle him so hard. That's just dumb to stop them by this way. This is a soccer game, not a kickboxing fight, Jesus!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 01:43AM by Bruninho.
Date: March 11, 2008 02:13AM
Bruninho Wrote:
> well, lets see what happens if you or TC are
> tackled by someone in the same way when playing
> soccer.

I have had a broken leg and been knocked out while playing football, both were mistakes. I have also taught it and set up community games before.

Also by your logic, Taylor should be banned for 9 months because he done a mistimed challenge. Yet Eduardo's challenge on Nani (previous page) should not be punished at all because Nani managed to get his feet off the ground, despite Eduardo clearly aiming for Nani's leg rather than the ball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 02:15AM by TC.
Date: March 11, 2008 02:54AM
I didnt said that... I just said that it should be the same for everyone, regardless of who the tackler is and who the injured player is. Did Nani got injured? No? So no need to punish him. Just because Eduardo aimed at Nani's legs doesnt mean he shouldve been punished with a 9 months injury on himself! If he had injured Nani then it would really be the case to ban him for the same time Nani would be out but since he didnt suffered any injury...

Date: March 11, 2008 02:58AM
Wow, you are an idiot.

-------

Moderated: Come come now, no need to be rude. Bruno's opinion is just as valued as yours. Let's try and keep it civilised, pelase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 08:15AM by Locke Cole.
Date: March 11, 2008 03:09AM
TC Wrote:
> Wow, you are an idiot.

eh? i could insult you back but...

See, I didnt offended anyone here, I just think that he should've been banned by the same time Eduardo will be out, I DID NOT insulted you in the same way so you DID NOT needed to post this crap insult here... just because someone dont agree with your view you are entitled to insult everyone? grow up, there are better and more civilised ways to show that you disagreed with my opinion

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 03:13AM by Bruninho.
Date: March 11, 2008 03:15AM
I understand Taylor's tackle was an accident, but you still can't deny it was horribly off. His foot is up so high and he just goes with his whole body in so late... I'd say for special cases an 8 to 10-match ban would be good, it's enough games to make his team miss him but it's not. It was an accident but still caused enough damage, I honestly believe it could help diminish the violence in the premier leagues worldwide, and for plays such as Eduardo's tackle I'd hand out a 5 game ban, ranging to a whole lot more according to each case (of course, all to be judged by a board), like we had in Brazil when this guy tried to punch Kerlon on the face when Kerlon dribbled by him by doing his balancing of the ball. The player was suspended for 4 months, I believe.
Date: March 11, 2008 03:20AM
Guimengo Wrote:
> I understand Taylor's tackle was an accident, but
> you still can't deny it was horribly off. His foot
> is up so high and he just goes with his whole body
> in so late... I'd say for special cases an 8 to
> 10-match ban would be good, it's enough games to
> make his team miss him but it's not. It was an
> accident but still caused enough damage, I
> honestly believe it could help diminish the
> violence in the premier leagues worldwide, and for
> plays such as Eduardo's tackle I'd hand out a 5
> game ban, ranging to a whole lot more according to
> each case (of course, all to be judged by a
> board), like we had in Brazil when this guy tried
> to punch Kerlon on the face when Kerlon dribbled
> by him by doing his balancing of the ball. The
> player was suspended for 4 months, I believe.

The problem with your suggestion is that its quite hard to estimate for how much time a player should be banned for that kind of violence... If only we could estimate based in the aggressiveness of the tackle, how much time the victim that escaped would be out of action if he was injured by that. its not a question of giving a 5 or 10 games ban, it has to be specific for each case and must be a severe ban so they'll think twice before doing it.

Date: March 11, 2008 07:58AM
Bruninho Wrote:
> Did Nani got injured? No? So no need to punish him.

What the @#$%&?! :\

Are you saying intent shouldn't be punished, yet accidents resulting in injury should be? :|
Date: March 11, 2008 09:54AM
I lost the will to post more than you are an idiot at 2am to such a stupid comment, however Gav has now done it for me so never mind.

"like we had in Brazil when this guy tried to punch Kerlon on the face when Kerlon dribbled by him by doing his balancing of the ball. The player was suspended for 4 months, I believe."

He tried to punch him, not a mistimed tackle. You are now comparing cases that are nothing alike.

I really do not see what the argument is, if the challenge was really that bad then the Players Union and all the the teams managers would be complaining to the FA (who have already looked at the incident by the way) to get him banned, they are not. Are you seriously trying to tell me that you believe you know more about the player and the challenge involved than either of those two groups of people?
Date: March 11, 2008 03:06PM
@TC: The insult suits more for you than me because you're the one who is insulting instead of arguing so i wont discuss it with you. I am discussing the violence of the tackle not your intelligence. //end rant, please?

@Gav: Yes, Gav. Because its hard to judge what was the intent of the player when he tackled the other player! Unless you manage to get a doctor expert to analyze the moment of the tackle and say to the board how long the victim would be out for being injured in such a tackle, and apply that time to the aggressor. Which I doubt that would work.

A 3, 5, 10 games ban is ridiculous. If they already do it knowing that they may face a 3 game ban, they dont care about a 10 game ban. They know that they'll be "playing" again before the players that they injured.

But where was the bloody taylor's brain when he did such a violent tackle so early in the game? He didnt needed to tackle him at this moment of the game, and I didnt see the ball where he was going to tackle Eduardo. Yet it was more of a kickboxer tackle than a mistimed tackle, the photo makes it look even worse, yes, but it was NOT a mistimed tackle for me. Not with such a violence. A mistimed tackle is what Renato Augusto (flamengo) and Dodo (fluminense) got this year, both injured in their faces. You can ask Gui about it as he cheers for them.

Kerlon was balancing the ball with his head, hence why he was punched. There were cases worse than Eduardo, such as Salgado vs Juninho and here in Brazil, Jean vs Pedrinho (1998). Both Juninho and Pedrinho spent almost a year injured. And yet the aggressors continued to "play" and to distribute their tackles...

Something must be done to stop with this violence, even C.Ronaldo is willing to stop with his dribbles to preserve himself from that violence.... this is just ridiculous.

Date: March 11, 2008 03:35PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I think that there should be an automatic 5-7 game ban (which isn't that long in today's football) for tackles such as Taylor's, where the foot is up and the ball is on the floor.
Tackles like Roy Keane's on Haaland, the Gerrard specials from a few years ago, and this shocker from Eboue, where there is clear intent to seriously injure someone, should be more severely punished.
This is way worse than Taylor's, yet Henry afterwards had the cheek to cry that Arsenal were robbed. Sure mate.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Date: March 11, 2008 03:36PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
For the record, intent was punished at the weekend (Man Utd - Portsmouth). Rooney went in feet first towards the player. The receiving player jumped, didn't make any contact, didn't make a scene, Rooney got a yellow card for his trouble.

Taylor vs Eduardo was just unlucky. The poor sod's been on the receiving end of so much since that tackle, and Eduardo's gonna be out for a while, but that's absolutely NO reason to suspend the player for the time Eduardo will be out.

Seriously look at what you've written the past couple pages.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 11, 2008 03:45PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Rooney should have got a red for that, no doubt in my mind..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy