Martin Taylor, Birmingham's defensor

Posted by Rod_vs 
Re: Martin Taylor, Birmingham's defensor
Date: March 05, 2008 06:46PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
The problem in general, though, is players not respecting the ref's decision. In Rugby Union, if a player contests the decision, he's sent to the sinbin, and only the captain talks to the ref. So it's a step forward, but not far enough.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 05, 2008 07:16PM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's another problem having the refs being supreme though, they make far too many bad calls and if that can't be fixed during the game (via tv replay, for example), then you maybe will go through an appeal which will be disregarded and a team will come out at a loss.
Date: March 05, 2008 10:03PM
Which is again where video replays come in good. The 4th official has helped, but it's not had the impact that people thought it would.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: March 05, 2008 10:08PM
mostly he's only useful for lifting the sign for subs or time added ;)
Date: March 07, 2008 11:32PM
Eduardo has said that he has never heard anything from Martin Taylor and that he hasn't visited him at the hospital. He said that all that never happened and was a lie.
Date: March 08, 2008 02:03AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eduardo has said that he has never heard anything
> from Martin Taylor and that he hasn't visited him
> at the hospital. He said that all that never
> happened and was a lie.

Really? got a source for that? as BBC News dosn't have anything on that, latest news on the subject is Wenger saying that Martin Taylor apologised to Wenger after the match.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: March 08, 2008 05:08AM
Can you read Portuguese? :p

Blatter's interview regarding violent players:
[globoesporte.globo.com]

Eduardo's report:
[globoesporte.globo.com]

It says he said so in a TV interview for a Croatian tv station. Now, good luck reading the botched google webpage translation!
Date: March 08, 2008 09:24AM
Posted by: Flamex
The problem is, us English are supposed to be used to tackles like that, and since we've had divers and play-actors like Cristiano Ronaldo etc, the EPL is losing the hardman status we had in the early 90's.
Date: March 08, 2008 10:05AM
Posted by: gav
What I can understand, Giu, is that there isn't a single quote in there.

Already read Blatter's views yesterday afternoon, and thought he was just confirming most people's theory that he completely lost the plot a few years back. He's Max Mosely's idol. He has no sense of perspective whatsoever.

Take a real-world example. I drive at 50mph in a 30mph zone. I knock over a kid and kill them. My penalty is death by dangerous driving, and I'll likely get a sentence of around 3-5 years. You almost never get a lifetime ban from the roads. It's fair to say what I did was dangerous and stupid, but without intent to injure or kill. No different to what Blatter is saying regarding football-related injuries. There's some perspective for you.
Date: March 08, 2008 10:25AM
There are quotes in there, it's not the "" kind though, it's a different paragraph. You managed to misspell Gui as well :p
Date: March 08, 2008 12:10PM
Was typing on my bed as my desk was full of crap. :D

Not quotes according to a translation, just reciting what he supposedly told someone else.

Taylor apparently visited him at least twice, once while he was in surgery just after the match and once when he heavily sedated. Perhaps Eddy just can't remember? Regardless Sky-Sports have removed the article completely, suggesting there was no truth in it.

Quote from a blog:
Before the interview, the reporter had to agree not to ask anything about Martin Taylor. The only thing Dudu said was that Taylor did not visit him in the hospital to offer an apology, like some papers reported (note - this is what the TV anchor said despite Eduardo’s wishes that no questions about Taylor be asked).

This is about all I can find, and it never at any point says that Taylor didn't visit him in hospital.
Date: March 08, 2008 09:14PM
We need a croat to stop by and shed some light ! I don't know what is true and what isn't, it just sucks when you have news sources speculating stuff
Date: March 08, 2008 10:09PM
Posted by: TC
I fail to see why Martin Taylor and his manager would say they have been to the hospital to visit Eduardo when they could just say nothing... It is hardly the kind of thing you would lie about is it?
Sounds like the reporter who went to visit him is trying to stir some @#$%&, much in the same way that another journalist decided to pretend Hamilton said he selected neutral. They are scum.
Date: March 09, 2008 02:14AM
Posted by: matt3454
The tackle was clumsy. If it didnt break his leg it wouldnt have been a red.

Banning him from football is rediculous.

If they do ban him then ban half the arsenal team for the game before vs Man u in the FA, half their squad was intentionally kicking Nani for showboating (which he can afford to do when his team are 4-0 up against the league leaders).

Im just glad for once that arse wenger was awake for the tackle, usually he never sees a thing!

What im trying to say is. Whats worse? Intentionally trying to harm a player, or injurying a player by accident. The sport will just turn in to in a pussy non contact sport if player get banned for trying to make a challenge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 02:19AM by matt3454.
Date: March 09, 2008 05:35AM
matt3454 Wrote:
Whats worse?
> Intentionally trying to harm a player, or
> injurying a player by accident. The sport will
> just turn in to in a pussy non contact sport if
> player get banned for trying to make a challenge

As a player and fan, I see both as being equally bad. Except in one case you're just an evil bastard, the other it's a very unlucky thing to happen (unless you're not careful, as this was the case). Just recently, Inter x Reggina for the Serie A, towards the end this Reggina defender went with his foot knee high on Stankovic, but Dejan managed to avoid it (still roll around though...). Now, there was clear intent on that challenge and despite no contact, which only didn't happen because Dejan managed to get out of the way, it's still a foul and deserving of the yellow card the ref handed out.

It's so much easier for people to keep saying it will be a pussy sport because they're not the ones getting the hits and very likely, they don't even play it for real. Football will always be physical even without the dirty tackles, I for one don't wish to see more players robbed of a future and fans robbed of a great talent because someone who'll never be above average decided to get his anger out on someone with flair and skill.
Date: March 09, 2008 11:52AM
For the record, Rooney in the FA Cup match against Portsmouth got a yellow card for a 2-footed lunge that had one foot's studs raised towards the player. He didn't connect with the player, but if he had, I reckon he'd have been sent off.

Date: March 09, 2008 12:50PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
"You mean the Keeper who faked been hit by a firework by cutting himself with a Razorblade? No offence but having an accidental clumsy tackle which resulted in a injury is a bit different to resorting to self harm to stop a football match and avoid your team losing!"

Yes, Roberto Rojas... and this match is Brazil 2 x 0 Chile, on World Cup 90 South American Qualifying. Brazilian Federation were fined on US$20,000 for incidents.

No offence, of course ;)... I respect your opinion... but - my opinion - , if this player won't be punished as severity, he'll "crash" others forwards!!!

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: March 09, 2008 02:24PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> It's so much easier for people to keep saying it
> will be a pussy sport because they're not the ones
> getting the hits and very likely, they don't even
> play it for real. Football will always be physical
> even without the dirty tackles, I for one don't
> wish to see more players robbed of a future and
> fans robbed of a great talent because someone
> who'll never be above average decided to get his
> anger out on someone with flair and skill.

Why do you assume we don't play? I don't play any more, but that's due to time-restraints more than anything else.

For the record, I can't tackle to save my life, and certainly have never lunged or gone in studs-showing. I'm the opposite of the stereotypical English game. Doesn't make me pussyfoot around complaining about genuine tackles though.
Date: March 09, 2008 08:26PM
gav Wrote:
> Guimengo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's so much easier for people to keep saying
> it
> > will be a pussy sport because they're not the
> ones
> > getting the hits and very likely, they don't
> even
> > play it for real. Football will always be
> physical
> > even without the dirty tackles, I for one don't
> > wish to see more players robbed of a future and
> > fans robbed of a great talent because someone
> > who'll never be above average decided to get
> his
> > anger out on someone with flair and skill.
>
> Why do you assume we don't play? I don't play any
> more, but that's due to time-restraints more than
> anything else.
>
> For the record, I can't tackle to save my life,
> and certainly have never lunged or gone in
> studs-showing. I'm the opposite of the
> stereotypical English game. Doesn't make me
> pussyfoot around complaining about genuine tackles
> though.

Each to their own, but it's nice to know you played the good way. I play in this league with 2 former Brazilian footballers, it's amazing how pretty much every week there's something going on, usually involving a Mexican though. 85% of them play dirty, I'd say, which is a shame. On Tuesday I got kicked on the face, attacked "down there", attacked with studs up, had someone jump on my ankle and more, only once the damn ref called a foul, that blind bastard. On Thursday I got hit too but less, but I had to jump in to separate people from fighting as 2 guys from the other team were hitting this older guy in my team.

Oh, almost forgot! I got death threats from the wife of one of the mexicans, because later in the game (Tuesday) there was a loose ball but I went on a mad sprint to get it and I went for it with my foot turned in, so I'd hit the ball with the outside (and kept my foot down). The guy came kicking the ball but trying to hit me, leaving his foot up and luckily didn't hit me too well on the chest, but I got sick of it and when I turned around to run for the ball I left my left leg high up and apparently my foot hit him. He totally deserved, as proven by his 3 week suspension, but the ref was too crappy to stop him early in the game.
Date: March 09, 2008 10:41PM
Posted by: Imran
"but I got sick of it and when I turned around to run for the ball I left my left leg high up and apparently my foot hit him. He totally deserved, as proven by his 3 week suspension, but the ref was too crappy to stop him early in the game."

Youve been complaining about bad tackles and mistimed lunges..then admit to leaving your foot high with intent because you felt the other guy deserved it?

Thats like Martin Taylor saying eduardo desrved it because of the ref was too crappy not to send him off for his stupid tackle on Nani the previous weekend.

Btw in case you are like Wenger and didnt see teh incident.. here is eduardo on Nani the week b4 his injury..
This tackle is prob worse than what injured him but luckily Nani saw it coming and pulled out of going for the ball.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 10:46PM by Imran.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy