Martin Taylor, Birmingham's defensor

Posted by Rod_vs 
Martin Taylor, Birmingham's defensor
Date: March 03, 2008 05:15AM
Posted by: Rod_vs
I think UEFA isn't serious. This player must beem exclueded for soccer!!!

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Re: Martin Taylor, Birmingham's defensor
Date: March 03, 2008 06:58AM
Posted by: Guimengo
You won't have much support here, this forum is largely European-based, such things are not looked down as much as in Brazil

[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2008 06:59AM by Guimengo.
Date: March 03, 2008 02:53PM
Posted by: gav
Oh, here we go again. Eduado has said it wasn't intentional or has bad feeling about it, Wenger has retracted his statement and apologised, Taylor himself has been to visit Eduado in hospital.

The bloke's had death threats. DEATH THREATS! Stupendous exaggeration.

I've already pointed out in the other thread about Eduado's own tackle (worse IMO) on Nani the week before.
Date: March 03, 2008 05:39PM
Posted by: Enjoi
Yeah, players get away with much worse every week...it's just the severity of the injury that caught the attention on the ref. I think he would have had a yellow if it wasn't for the break. If it was intentional then I'd agree he should have some sort of long term ban but it didn't look it, and the fact he apologised to Wenger after the game and visited Eduardo at hospital probably shows it was an accident, I'm sure the incident will stay in his memory for a long time.

I do think the ref's should be more consistent when dealing with two footed tackles (don't think Taylors was 2-footed but I can't remember), but I guess they only have a second to make a decision and we get to view the replay over and over again.

Hopefully Eduardo will make a full recovery and play just as well on his return. Seems Cisse is having a good season at Marseille after two leg breaks one of which was quite severe so it is possible, It must weigh on your mind that it could happen again though..

Ric Scott
Date: March 03, 2008 07:04PM
Cisse had one before he joined Liverpool too. 3 leg breaks for a bloke who doesn't suffer from brittle bones. He might be a prat, but he's certainly paid many times over.
Date: March 03, 2008 08:11PM
Posted by: TC
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, here we go again. Eduado has said it wasn't
> intentional or has bad feeling about it, Wenger
> has retracted his statement and apologised, Taylor
> himself has been to visit Eduado in hospital.
>
> The bloke's had death threats. DEATH THREATS!
> Stupendous exaggeration.
>
> I've already pointed out in the other thread about
> Eduado's own tackle (worse IMO) on Nani the week
> before.

Don't forget the Croatia coach even said it wasn't really a bad challenge, just that the injury made it look much worse.
Date: March 03, 2008 10:07PM
Posted by: danm
gav Wrote:
> Cisse had one before he joined Liverpool too. 3
> leg breaks for a bloke who doesn't suffer from
> brittle bones. He might be a prat, but he's
> certainly paid many times over.

My little brother has Brittle Bones! Random fact!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 03, 2008 10:12PM
Enjoi Wrote:
> Yeah, players get away with much worse every
> week...it's just the severity of the injury that
> caught the attention on the ref. I think he would
> have had a yellow if it wasn't for the break. If
> it was intentional then I'd agree he should have
> some sort of long term ban but it didn't look it,
> and the fact he apologised to Wenger after the
> game and visited Eduardo at hospital probably
> shows it was an accident, I'm sure the incident
> will stay in his memory for a long time.
>
> I do think the ref's should be more consistent
> when dealing with two footed tackles (don't think
> Taylors was 2-footed but I can't remember), but I
> guess they only have a second to make a decision
> and we get to view the replay over and over again.
>
>
> Hopefully Eduardo will make a full recovery and
> play just as well on his return. Seems Cisse is
> having a good season at Marseille after two leg
> breaks one of which was quite severe so it is
> possible, It must weigh on your mind that it could
> happen again though..

I think FIFA should enforce on every league that high footed tackles (like sliding tackles from behind "are";) be punished with red cards. If you're a good defender you don't need to do those tackles, speaking from experience.
Date: March 03, 2008 10:32PM
Posted by: Gaulty
I'm disappointed in Sky, for not showing the replay. They could of shown it easily with a little warning either from the commentators or on screen.

Team Owner of ItalianEnglish Dynamics in GPG Super League
GP4 Season 5: 7) Jethro Walters. 8) Zsigmond Somogyi. TD) Stuart Ingers and Joel Henrique
GP3 Season 5: 14) Nathan Turner. 15) Tobias Kederer.
6 Time Race Winners
Date: March 04, 2008 03:21AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
> this forum is largely European-based, such things are not looked down as much an Brazil.

No offence but that has absolutly nothing to do with it. Personally I'm English so if it had been say, Wayne Rooney or Joe Cole or John Terry (Actually, an Arsenal player did kick him in the face hard! but he got away without serious injury) my opinion would be no different at all, neither would Gav and Sim's be imo, it was an accident, Taylor made a mistake alot of defenders have probably made at least once in their career, including Brazilian defenders, the only difference is every defender has got away with it because it didn't result in serious injury except Taylor. Now as a result he's been getting death threats like Gav said and hate mail to him and his family.

Also like Gav says the Nani vs Eduardo tackle the week before was 10 times worse than Taylors, came sliding in 2 footed with left boot above knee height, didn't get a red card, no one cares about it, why? Because no one got injured.

> I think FIFA should enforce on every league that high footed tackles
> (like sliding tackles from behind "are";) be punished with red cards.
> If you're a good defender you don't need to do those tackles,
> speaking from experience.

I agree FIFA should, but it dosn't matter how good a defender is, everyone makes mistakes sometime in their career.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 03:23AM by Ianwoollam.
Date: March 04, 2008 05:59AM
I haven't and I know a lot of people haven't too, especially in my home country's league. And if anyone ever does, whether or not the ref catches it or if it results in injury, it's widespread everywhere and looked down by everyone (except in parts of the south). The vast majority of us really are for the game and the game only, no violence bullshit. And if Eduardo did it, he should have been sent off and perhaps if the ban carries over nationally, he wouldn't have played in this game which caused him to be out until around December.
Date: March 04, 2008 09:44AM
I'm totally in agreement with your previous post Gui. Players should get red cards for those sort of tackles. They normally do if the ref's seen it, but they should be retrospectively handed out much more generously too. I don't think it's intentional most of the time, again just clumsy, but it'll soon make players think twice before they make a full-hearted tackle. That in itself could cause more problems as going in half-hearted into a tackle and pausing for thought is a recipe for disaster, but it can't be seen as condoning it. Currently it's the media which dictates what is a bad or horrible tackle, not the (or certainly our) football association.

Don't confuse me liking the pace and physically demanding side of the English game with dodgy tackles - I'm no less sickened than anyone else seeing those sort of images. I can happily watch the southern-style of football too with complete admiration, but it just seems to lack the passion of the faster games in my opinion. Combine the 2, Man U/Arsenal style and you usually get one hell of a good mix (unless they're playing each other, which just .

In my opinion, and it may be biased, there's been little better in modern football than seeing the 1999 and 2005 Champions League finals with those quick-fire killer goals. Not many teams from many countries could do what Man U and Liverpool did. It's just a shame Liverpool don't do it very often really. :P
Date: March 04, 2008 02:24PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> And if Eduardo did it, he
> should have been sent off and perhaps if the ban
> carries over nationally, he wouldn't have played
> in this game which caused him to be out until
> around December.

Ironic ain't it? I wish more people could be sent off and have more severe penalties for it, and referee's and the rules could be more consistent, problem is for starters the ref is only human, he can't pick up on every challenge, but granted after match analysis could punish people that the ref misses.

> especially in my home country's league. And if
> anyone ever does, whether or not the ref catches it
> or if it results in injury, it's widespread everywhere
> and looked down by everyone (except in parts of the
> south).

Really? So no-one at all in the Brazilian leagues ever mistimes a tackle? gets it a bit wrong? no yellow or red cards are ever handed out? Must admit I've never seen a Brazilian league match so I don't really know myself, I've just seen most defenders in European football make a bad challenge on the odd occasion.

Date: March 04, 2008 02:38PM
I didn't say always for a reason, unfortunately once in a while you see something (lately what you see are elbows and half-punch attempts, especially on Kerlon), but any time it happens it comes out on papers and sometimes tv. It's not good to be known for something violent in Brazil.

And to touch more on the whole ref being human thing, I think I finally have to agree with dad and believe that FIFA should begin trying to implement something like a TV replay like we see in the NBA for some close or controversial calls. It would be only fair, have a 5th ref who'd be following the game on tv with instant replay, and be able to communicate with the ref and linesmen so it doesn't take much time off the game
Date: March 04, 2008 03:10PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> And to touch more on the whole ref being human
> thing, I think I finally have to agree with dad
> and believe that FIFA should begin trying to
> implement something like a TV replay like we see
> in the NBA for some close or controversial calls.
> It would be only fair, have a 5th ref who'd be
> following the game on tv with instant replay, and
> be able to communicate with the ref and linesmen
> so it doesn't take much time off the game

It maybe handy to adapt Cricket's system in that point of view, where the ref does call on the TV replays to check incidents, also what I believe needs to be adapted in football is Cricket's punishment system on arguing with the ref, if a Cricket player so much as goes upto the ref (well umpire in cricket) and question his decision he gets a 1 match ban after the game. People may see it as been very harsh but it stops stupid fights starting out and people just get on with the game instead of standing around arguing for 5 minutes wasting time.

Date: March 04, 2008 03:31PM
Now THAT is a problem in Brazil ;), if you give a PK you pretty much back down as far as the goal line and get surrounded by the other team. I think only team captains should be able to discuss with the ref, or if people keep delaying the game by arguing he should just give the yellow faster.
Date: March 04, 2008 03:47PM
Posted by: Enjoi
Yea you see a lot of good EPL players making the odd clumsy challenge, this can happen in the closing stages of a game when the defenders tired. I think Taylors tackle was in the first few seconds wasn't it? So he was finding his feet.

I agree that FIFA should be strict with nasty careless challenges, but hope that the physical side isn't completely taken away.

I dont understand why the FA aren't allowed to over-rule a ref's decision. Like...if he gives a player a yellow card for an offense that deserved a red the FA can't suspend the player.

Ric Scott
Date: March 04, 2008 04:43PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Well, lots of people criticize me, but I don't change my opinion.
But if Rojas was banished of soccer only to simulate an agression, this defensor should be, too!!

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: March 04, 2008 05:01PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> Now THAT is a problem in Brazil ;), if you give a
> PK you pretty much back down as far as the goal
> line and get surrounded by the other team. I think
> only team captains should be able to discuss with
> the ref, or if people keep delaying the game by
> arguing he should just give the yellow faster.

Heh yeah its not that bad here, usually its just the ref wandering round and a big line of players following him, I have never heard of a situation in football where a ref changed his mind on pitch, so what is the point in just constantly arguing with his every decision other than timewasting?

Rod_vs Wrote:
> But if Rojas was banished of soccer only to
> simulate an agression, this defensor should be,
> too!!

You mean the Keeper who faked been hit by a firework by cutting himself with a Razorblade? No offence but having an accidental clumsy tackle which resulted in a injury is a bit different to resorting to self harm to stop a football match and avoid your team losing!

Date: March 05, 2008 02:18AM
Posted by: sasjag
regarding teh ref's, i beleive in the EPl it will soon only be 'legal' for teh captain to talk to the ref, after a successful trial in teh football league

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy