Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: October 01, 2010 12:09AM
Posted by: CaptinFranko
Having purchased the game recently I had yet to experience any of the much discussed bugs but this evening, whilst doing the third race of my career, The glitches began to rear their ugly heads. I started 11th and managed to get up to 6th by the 3rd lap. My teammate (DI Grassi) was 22nd and a fair distance behind. I pitted early to avoid being held up in the traffic ahead of me only to find that when things shook Di Grassi was 10 seconds ahead of me up the road and I was 20th....

So...After restarting the race through shear anger I was again running 11th with two laps to go when Jenson Button spun out. The engineer made a point of saying to me that I should be careful in sector three and all that, blah blah blah. I dutifully slowed down and passed his ailing Mclaren only to find that 3 laps later at the end of the race he had apparently finished fourth, pushing me down to 11th and denying me a point, I suppose he could of used the flashback system to correct his mistake.

What made it even worse was that Kovalinenen had somehow managed to start a full 12 places behind me and finish 6th, IN A LOTUS! Now don't get me wrong the game is beautiful to look at and the rain is awesome but I must agree with the general consesus on here when I say that I just feel cheated. I refuse to work my way through the field only to find that the cars I am overtaking are not representative of the ones that will be classified at the finish. And whilst I am on this rant I have to congratulate Sebastien Vettel on starting 13th, stopping twice and still finishing ahead of me. I should also point out that I only spun once in the entire race and even then I used a flashback (Which of course all real formula one drivers get, don't they?!) to correct the mistake.

Rant over...Sorry

GPGSL - Christel VXR team Boss S6-S8, S12 Onwards

Date: October 01, 2010 01:21AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
in my current championship i am up to turkey (round 5 or 6) and kovalainen has 25 points. WHAT?? maybe he just never pits. regardless, ridiculous.
Date: October 01, 2010 01:21AM
Posted by: rocker
You guys who are having problems with fake AI during races are racing in what difficult, Legends or Hard (is it Easy, Normal, Hard and Legends?)?

The local store that I buy PS3 games said they would have F1-2010 last Saturday, but they didn't received it and they told me that maybe they would receive it September 30 (today), but I had no time to even call them.

We don't have an official support from Sony for Playstation 3 here in Brazil (in fact last month they registered it here but really few things sold officially by them). So the games we have here are from USA that someone imported it. As this game is brand new I don't want to buy it from an Internet store as I think there is a queue already so I prefer to buy it from a local store. I don't want to pay and wait two weeks for the game arrives, if the money goes out of my account I want to have it quick (unless they give me a good discount for pre-order).

But with all the problems you are saying maybe I will wait a bit, unless if you tell me you are having a great fun with it online. Also I think I won't find you on PSN as you are already on advanced time on Europe than here in Brazil, also I work until late (it's 20:00 here in Brazil now and I'm in the office) so 22:00 ~ 23:00 that's the time I can play it's too late in Europe.

Also on Tuesday I bought a DFGT, so I think I spend too much this month already on not so important things.

Don't know if I will check if they receive the game tomorrow or wait some weeks for it...

--------------------------------------------
Rocker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 01:24AM by rocker.
Date: October 01, 2010 02:22AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Chefe, look at sendit.com, they ship over there and even with shipping it's FAR cheaper. Or Amazon.co.uk
Date: October 01, 2010 12:21PM
Posted by: darrenj
Beautiful game in DX11 got some some graphical squares flicking for some milli seconds after 3 hours of play.
But Very Buggy AI and very strict rules when challenging for position!!!
I really do wish I had the track cam view that GP4 has... or view other cars in real time .....
GP4 is better still.

===========================================================================
Core i7 920@ 3.8, 3x2gig DDR3 ram, GA X58 UD5 mobo, Powercolor ATI HD 5850 1gig, Cheiftec 750W, CM HAF 922 case.
Shop lifters of the world, unite and take over.
Date: October 01, 2010 03:12PM
Posted by: anze89
it's a big shame that AI is fake... it could have been a good game, but instead it's very frustrating... I was in 10th position in Sepang, lapping 2 seconds faster for several laps than Petrov behind me, so logically I should have around 10 seconds advantage... I then made a mistake, spun the car around in 1st corner, and before I even managed to spin the car around into the right way again (the time lost to that point was maybe 5 seconds at most), Petrov and most of the others came past me (including HRT, lol).... The AI times during the race are complete fake, the easiest way to see it is to start from a bad position and make a good 1st lap... then you can see something like this (btw., not the same race I was describing in the 1st part of this post):

Sepang, start of the 2nd lap, started in 18th position, advanced to 9th and my lap time is 14 seconds slower than the one from Schumacher who is behind me.... game set to expert, ai legendary....

Date: October 01, 2010 05:29PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Yep...that´s a bit infuriating. Also the fact that pitstops are basically down to luck is kinda screwd up. In one race I was running 9th with a virgin and when I pitted and came back, I was 24th and I couldn't even see the car in front. It's funny that they made a F1 game that doesn't really take laptimes into account. Lap times is probably the most important part of F1.

The bad thing is that I really want to like the game...but it's not helping itself. Going to try it out a bit more, but I think I'll just resign myself to play gp4 again...at least there I can have some real races with the AI, although I usually play with the keyboard there...adjusting the wheel with Gp4 is always a nightmare.
Date: October 01, 2010 09:07PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I can't really enjoy the career. I'm using manual on a gamepad (I'm on xbox) and it's literally too difficult around Monaco. I've tried and tried, but I can't finish a lap without taking the front wing off or 'cutting the corner'.

I've liked the time trial option quite a lot, and I haven't done too much online play. Just the career mode with its time defaculties and dodgy handling just gives me grief rather than pleasure.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 01, 2010 09:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Yeah I can't do Monaco either. There just isn't enough accuracy in a game pad, especially with the physics like this.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 02, 2010 12:33AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Advice for anyone thinking of buying this:
>
> Don't. Unless you 're going to play a lot online,
> the game is so broken and CM have demonstrated
> that they are (currently) so clueless about how to
> program AI that it will NEVER be fixed with a
> patch. I would urge you to wait until 2011 and
> see what people say it's like after the release
> date. This current version is utter, utter
> bollocks, there are so many issues I can't even
> write them down. GP4 was and is ten times the
> game that this mess is. It really is a massive
> shame, I think it has potential, but I honestly
> don't think it will ever be realised due to
> incompetent designers.

i think it was gav who said he wud wait for reviews before buying it. wise words! im not even touching this if all the problems are there.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: October 02, 2010 02:40AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I've had the game for about a week now, (ps, daveellis top tip of the month was indeed shopto.net, cheers), but I haven't played it once. lolwut? My PS3 is at my parent's farm, about three hours north of here, I took it up there when i was doing a locum up there a few months ago. I deliberately left it up there when I came back home because I knew the next couple of months were going to be hectic and I didn't want to be staying up late doing dumb things like this. Anywho the point of all this was I had been considering taking a trip up there for this weekend, ostensibly to do some fun farming things but really to get my ps3 back, but I don't think I'll bother until I'm next up there legitimately.

The only saving grace out of all this is that we live in a time where console games can be patched. Otherwise it'd be you've wasted your money until F1 2011 comes out, which come to think of it, will probably be the case anyway.
Date: October 02, 2010 09:02AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
Finally found a good thign about this game: the multiplayer!
It's addictively fun... and a pain in the ass at the same time!

Most of the time there's a stupid pileup caused by some fool just piling on in, but if you miss that, it could go ok.

I've had a couple of awsome races with people that actucally know what they are doing and you end up having a real good race!
I did about 4 races, just one on one with some guy from America. I had to slow down to have him keep up, or let him go passed and then hunt him down; but it will still fun because it was clean!

If anyones up for a race on the PS3 just add me to PSN: mtchouston

Then we can organise a bit of a race!
I'm in Australia.

GPGSL WDC Season 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 09:04AM by SpaceAce.
Date: October 02, 2010 09:24AM
Posted by: darrenj
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> loque Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Advice for anyone thinking of buying this:
> >
> > Don't. Unless you 're going to play a lot
> online,
> > the game is so broken and CM have demonstrated
> > that they are (currently) so clueless about how
> to
> > program AI that it will NEVER be fixed with a
> > patch. I would urge you to wait until 2011 and
> > see what people say it's like after the release
> > date. This current version is utter, utter
> > bollocks, there are so many issues I can't even
> > write them down. GP4 was and is ten times the
> > game that this mess is. It really is a massive
> > shame, I think it has potential, but I honestly
> > don't think it will ever be realised due to
> > incompetent designers.
>
>
> i think it was gav who said he wud wait for
> reviews before buying it. wise words! im not even
> touching this if all the problems are there.

I am begging to believe I wasted my two cents as well.. good thing good people are starting to mod it.

===========================================================================
Core i7 920@ 3.8, 3x2gig DDR3 ram, GA X58 UD5 mobo, Powercolor ATI HD 5850 1gig, Cheiftec 750W, CM HAF 922 case.
Shop lifters of the world, unite and take over.
Date: October 02, 2010 01:54PM
Posted by: Slasher
I was standing in the shop yesterday morning staring at it, wondering whether to get it.

I thought, nope, i will go home jump on this website and see what people think about it.

Thank F&*k i did!

Wont touch it with a barge pole until bugs are fixed.
Date: October 02, 2010 02:00PM
Posted by: Monza972
I am so so glad my parents stopped me from getting it pre-ordered. What a lucky dodge.
Date: October 02, 2010 03:52PM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
Ai = Buggy, but only done 2 races and not seen the mega extent of the buggy AI yet.

Graphics = Nice, but download the SunMod to help brighten up the tracks and make it more of a driving game, and not a late evening Sunday drive.

Weather effects = Really nice... most of the time. Did a race in Australia which started very wet, and was on wet tyres. It dried, and the AI pitted for Ints... but I decided to stay out a few more laps, then the track was dry, and I came in for slicks and the AI came in for slicks... =\ Consequently won that race. Thought Coddies said it was the most diverse and authentic weather mapping ever. Didn't even see a drying line... =\ Might be a glitch thing cause its been the only wet race I've run... but still.

Sound = Why does some F1 cars seem sooooooo high pitched and whiney! GP series had a great Cockpit F1 sound, and a good doopler effect of the car. It sounded like hearing a proper F1 car. This just doesn't. Its OK, but I've heard better. But thats just my 2 cents on that.

Engineer = Why!?! I can't stand having someone constantly annoying me about being a bit quicker than my teammate, and that I'm slow in sector whatever, even though I'm stuck in traffic, and... um.. DUH! I'm gonna be slower! Also... why say "Come into the pits and copy your teammates setup" if thats not even an option to do?? WHY HAVE IT THERE!?

Why can't we watch in the session on the TV, or different screens on the pit monitor, and Coddies would solve their lame excuse on "Accelerated Time"

Bring back Microprose, Geoff Crammond and GP Series!!!

Thats my wee rant over! =) Back to more GP4 action! =D
Date: October 02, 2010 06:03PM
Posted by: LS.
Sim Racing looks at F1 2010

summary points from 15mins in...

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: October 02, 2010 08:25PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I've discovered multiplayer. Got a lot of time for multiplayer quick races, and I won a couple at Monaco and Canada.

You can really tell who doesn't manually shift, as I'm generally a fair bit quicker when I come up
to pass them. I also have got the hang of Monaco, as practice clearly makes perfect. But I've got FIFA 11 now, so I'm expecting to play F1 a bit less now.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 02, 2010 08:53PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
I cant beleive you can take the final corner of silverstone flat whilst keeping the wheels turned right. total fail

Date: October 02, 2010 10:11PM
Posted by: vbc
LS. Wrote:
> Sim Racing looks at F1 2010
>

summary
> points from 15mins in...

LOL

I can not believe they did not say anything about AI, in fact they said that it has good AI ... yeah, they are americans and probably prefer NASCAR, so were crashing on purpouse to the damage ... also not a single word that there is no telemetry (not surprising because one of the guys said he does not want to spend much time setting up the car, typical arcade child).

Anyway, graphics are fantastic, multiplayer must be fun because there are not AI cars in that case ... and for those who like the career mode it must be good too. For me, it does not have what it needs to be a very good F1 game, I won't buy it and I won't play it unless the next version is done properly (F1 2011).

Have fun in multiplayer mode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy