Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 18, 2010 03:58AM
Posted by: dio69
Well, i just had a go with the demo of the wrc 2010 on the xbox (yes, its on live), and it shows how important a demo is. I mean, after seeing some videos of that game, i thought that the was going bad, but actually it feels really good, not a RBR in terms of physics, but really fun.
So yeah, o agree with Gav, i do really think that a demo is necessary, 'cus we cant judge too mych about physics just from seeing a video.
After that, im more anxious, but not counting the days to the release of the f1 2010.

Oh BTW, Xbox Live name is STP5.
Date: September 18, 2010 08:27AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I doubt PC sales are top of their priority for sales figures, given the amount of people that download illegal versions from torrent sites

The 360 has exactly the same problem. And as proven by research, PC gaming piracy does not reduce sales of the game. So yeah, people need to drop the piracy bs.

Skip to 10 min, 20 seconds

Interesting since he isn't in the drivers database, which requires the real name.

Not that any of this matters. If you take what a driver says as realistic, then GP4 was called the best sim ever by Mark Webber. It's called marketing - get used to it. F1 2010 is not realistic. It's not meant to be realistic - it's meant to be fun and believable.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 18, 2010 08:29AM
Just went to get the WRC Demo, but it requires XBL Gold. For a Demo. I need to pay...to get Demos. They can f**k RIGHT off.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 18, 2010 09:57AM
Posted by: LS.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No demo? At all? What the hell are they thinking?
> This isn't a sequel of a sequel - it's new
> completely new series built from scratch.
>
> Sod that. If people here review it favourably I'll
> download a torrent. If I then like it I'll buy it.
> No demo... again... what the hell were they
> thinking? Your character might as well just be
> sponsored by the pirate bay.
>
> Edit: I'll stress that I normally don't advocate
> piracy in the slightest, but I'm not about to
> throw £20 away just because the publishers were
> too @#$%& lazy to strip down what must been a
> relatively teeny bit of code. And if it's Bernies
> fault, well he deserves it anyway. Like I say, if
> I want to keep playing it after a few races, I'll
> buy it anyway. Isn't that what demos are for?

Straight from the horses mouth

No demo because we didn't have time to create one AND get the game out on time. So we put all effort into the main game.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 18, 2010 10:02AM
As I said before, that is a reasonable and respected route to take - so make the demo afterwards and you don't have to worry about that problem.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 18, 2010 10:31AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I doubt PC sales are top of their priority for
> sales figures, given the amount of people that
> download illegal versions from torrent sites
>
> The 360 has exactly the same problem. And as
> proven by research, PC gaming piracy does not
> reduce sales of the game. So yeah, people need to
> drop the piracy bs.
>
> Skip to 10 min, 20 seconds
>
> Interesting since he isn't in the drivers
> database, which requires the real name.
>

I have been told by someone who actualy knows him, that shane van gisbergen a V8 supercar driver who got banned from iracing for being a @#$%& now races with a fake name in iracing.

Date: September 18, 2010 11:24AM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
> As I said before, that is a reasonable and
> respected route to take - so make the demo
> afterwards and you don't have to worry about that
> problem.

because thats too clever :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 18, 2010 11:31AM
Posted by: gav
ralv585
When the professional racing driver says that the sim doesn't play like real life, you have to question how good the sim actually is in the first place.

As Dave said, to our knowledge he's never driven iRacing. The most he's played it is if he's been around a mates house and done a few laps.

I don't think you can question the authenticness of iRacing when top level drivers are using it as test tools and to learn tracks.

GPL is famously more difficult than it was in reality (but only because the setups allows the car to be pushed to higher extremes, such as being lower and stiffer, than they could in reality).

Still, racing sims and games have a horrible history of being pimped by real drivers as realistic.

PS apologies about the misspelled abbreviated name earlier. I wrote something in as a place-holder, forgetting your forum name, then forgot to change it after writing the post. Oops!
Date: September 18, 2010 11:37AM
Posted by: Twigster151
A lap of Singapore

[www.facebook.com]

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Date: September 18, 2010 11:41AM
When Iracing has the Williams car in it, people will still claim its not realistic.

But then again, Webber refers to the Red Bull simulator as a game, so maybe thats all they are when you cannot simulate G Forces or Braking forces.

Accurate tracks as a learning aid to drivers that need knowledge before getting to a circuit i can see a use.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 18, 2010 11:44AM
But then again, Webber refers to the Red Bull simulator as a game, so maybe thats all they are when you cannot simulate G Forces or Braking forces.

The RBR simulator in the videos is a game. It's rFactor Pro. The RBR simulator they use in house is a completely different animal, and won't ever be shown to the public. Williams refused iRacing access to the simulator they use.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 18, 2010 12:29PM

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 12:43PM by LS..
Date: September 18, 2010 02:37PM
Posted by: ralv585
@gav

no worries about the name :p

I fully understand that this is not a sim, it'll hopefully be on the same level as GP4, as tbh i prefer playing that than GTR2 or rFactor, as i prefer an accessible game to a full on hardcore game.

"Still, racing sims and games have a horrible history of being pimped by real drivers as realistic."

Aren't we getting to the point where the technology is able to replicate real life now?

Most teams have their own simulators now, and it won't be too far down the road where we see commercial games and sims at that level.

At least on PC.

Date: September 18, 2010 03:03PM
Posted by: haki386
What wheel would you recommend. I am still racing GP4 with keys.
Date: September 18, 2010 03:27PM
Posted by: superchargednut
Looking to get a PS3 and oddly there seems to be little competition between the big shops and all seem to be £249 for the 120GB slim.

Is that my best option? (120 is more than adequate for me).

Date: September 18, 2010 04:43PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
Wow, a lot of very interesting points, positive and negative coming out here.

The thing that makes/made GP4 such a milestone for me was the A.I....you could have a race, and feel it. So much so that when I progressed from GP4 to racing on-line with r-factor I was pretty well prepared.

I.M.O. If Code masters have good A.I. they will have won. This is the make or break point for them with this release. So I'm really looking forward to that.
The other thing I'll be interested to see is how these cars compare to the Ferrari Virtual Academy...which is extremely fun to drive...and just makes a lot of the r-factor mods look silly in terms of handling.

I'm all Steam pre-loaded on the PC and counting down the days....but Tuesday in Japan is a totally sucky release date, considering I've got a long weekend to sit around and 'enjoy' how average I am on the Ferrari Virtual Academy! LOL.

If this game is even close to the way the Ferrari drives I will be one happy camper.
Date: September 18, 2010 09:56PM
Posted by: msater
Over the next couple of hours/days I'll be adding most of you on PSN. My Online ID is icecolddemon, which is the same as my Twitter

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 18, 2010 10:55PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Preordered it now. Job done.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 19, 2010 01:00AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
steering wheel seetings expert

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 01:12AM by rapid_f1.
Date: September 19, 2010 10:56AM
Posted by: chet
The more video's I watch, and the more I read the more I think Dave is right about the wheels.

This is a game not for steering wheel use... Ill wait for a review to pop up here, buy it, then maybe judge myself but im not sure. I think a £30-£40 rumble pad would be better maybe.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy