Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 17, 2010 07:51PM
Posted by: mansell92
Right, AI looks awful. That vid posted above where he overtook 2 cars so easily at the triangle chicane at Suzuka (@ 2m15s) makes the AI look like a sick joke.

What have I done by pre-ordering :(
Date: September 17, 2010 08:01PM
Posted by: ralv585
Calm down mate, he said it was on easy

Date: September 17, 2010 08:33PM
Posted by: LS.
lol, read the reviews i posted

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 17, 2010 08:34PM

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 17, 2010 08:53PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Everyone seems to forget it's a game, not a sim.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 17, 2010 09:05PM
Posted by: marcl
Well reviews I have read today say the game is let down by the user interface and the sound out of the car i.e sound track.

The damage model is not meant to be very good either, you can hit a wall at 160 and just damage the wing.

It got 8.5 on most reviews due to the above.
Date: September 17, 2010 10:00PM
Posted by: rocker
I will buy it for PS3 (maybe for PC when it get cheaper or if it is a great platform for Mods), but I will be using my old thrustmaster wheel, I will buy a new wheel by GT5 release.

Or should I buy it now? What do you think will happen when GT5 is out, wheels are going to get low or higher prices? (in fact I will try to buy a DFGT and get some discount or for free GT5).

My nick at PS3 Network: RockerBR

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: September 17, 2010 10:33PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Here are some comments about the damage model from F1 Fanatic:

F1Fanatic: How far have you been able to go with the damage model, and are you restricted by a need not to make the sport look unsafe?

Steve Hood, senior game designer: We certainly had grand plans for the damage model. I don’t think we’ve quite pulled it off with the first one. It can be extremely complicated and extremely detailed. We’ve got the scope for doing that in 2011. Certainly one of the things that we’re not allowed to do is promote the fact that the cars can be destroyed: say, gouging a hole in the side so you can see the radiator and go down to the shell of the car. We’re not really allowed to promote that. Sometimes it’s a bit frustrating because people are interested in the damage model and we want to put all this stuff out there. But we haven’t developed it as much in 2010 as much as we would have liked to. So I think that’s certainly something we’re going to be building for 2011.

Paul Jeal, senior game producer: It’s quite a delicate conversation, actually. Around the time we went in to see them about it there’d been some wheels coming off and there’d been a death in one of the junior formulae [Henry Surtees in Formula Two]. It’s a quite difficult subject to approach. And also you’ve got the fact that it is a game and you don’t want your rear wing to get smashed quite as easily as they do in real life because that’s race over. One of the things we were working on which didn’t quite make it into this game was reliability gremlins creeping in – maybe you get stuck in gear, maybe you lose a cylinder and have to drive defensively. We’ve still got that in terms tyre strategies and maybe you dial your revs down. The AI do it as well – so, say Hamilton’s got a 20-second lead, he’s going to ease off. Which makes it better from a gaming point of view because he’s not racing off into the sunset. But also it’s what he actually would do in real life to conserve his engine – until you get within ten seconds of him or so, then he’s going to speed up again.

I don't like what Paul Jeal said. Maybe not all fans want their race to end with rear wing damage, but why not give the option so that those who do want it can have it...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 17, 2010 10:35PM
Posted by: gav
No demo? At all? What the hell are they thinking? This isn't a sequel of a sequel - it's new completely new series built from scratch.

Sod that. If people here review it favourably I'll download a torrent. If I then like it I'll buy it. No demo... again... what the hell were they thinking? Your character might as well just be sponsored by the pirate bay.

Edit: I'll stress that I normally don't advocate piracy in the slightest, but I'm not about to throw £20 away just because the publishers were too @#$%& lazy to strip down what must been a relatively teeny bit of code. And if it's Bernies fault, well he deserves it anyway. Like I say, if I want to keep playing it after a few races, I'll buy it anyway. Isn't that what demos are for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 10:37PM by gav.
Date: September 17, 2010 10:46PM
im not too overly concerned about the damage model, never quite understood all the furore surround it in the clips we've seen at the trade shows.

Its not like there is a particular awesome game out with realistic crash damage in F1 we have seen before to compare it with.

If the wet weather effects were poorer than the benchmark set by GP4 then fair enough, valid point.

I think people are expecting too much, accept it for what it is, not what its not.

I'm liking the sound of F1 2011 from what ive read they are implementing.

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 10:48PM by LS..
Date: September 17, 2010 10:51PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No demo? At all? What the hell are they thinking?
> This isn't a sequel of a sequel - it's new
> completely new series built from scratch.
>
> Sod that. If people here review it favourably I'll
> download a torrent. If I then like it I'll buy it.
> No demo... again... what the hell were they
> thinking? Your character might as well just be
> sponsored by the pirate bay.
>
> Edit: I'll stress that I normally don't advocate
> piracy in the slightest, but I'm not about to
> throw £20 away just because the publishers were
> too @#$%& lazy to strip down what must been a
> relatively teeny bit of code. And if it's Bernies
> fault, well he deserves it anyway. Like I say, if
> I want to keep playing it after a few races, I'll
> buy it anyway. Isn't that what demos are for?

I doubt PC sales are top of their priority for sales figures, given the amount of people that download illegal versions from torrent sites, Consoles will be the bread and butter, and its probably more to licensing with F.O.M than anything.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 17, 2010 11:03PM
slow mo rewind replay shows what bits of car comes away, watch from 5.50 secs in

&feature=player_embedded#!

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 17, 2010 11:24PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
If anyone wants a comparison between the graphics of the PS3/PC/360 versions, look here

[www.virtualr.net]

It looks like the PC version is the only one with that annoying glow, which is good, but the PS3 graphics don't look quite as good as the 360.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 11:26PM by SchueyFan.
Date: September 17, 2010 11:52PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> If anyone wants a comparison between the graphics
> of the PS3/PC/360 versions, look here
>
> [www.virtualr.net]
> -comparison/
>
> It looks like the PC version is the only one with
> that annoying glow, which is good, but the PS3
> graphics don't look quite as good as the 360.

The interesting question would be, are they all image grabs from the same monitor?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 18, 2010 12:23AM
The only difference between the Xbox and PS3 versions is the same difference for most cross platforms games, colours are less vibrant, and look more faded.

Nothing you can't fix with your tv.

The PC version obviously looks the best, crisp, clean and better lighting, as you'd expect.

Just gotta hope you can turn off the piss filter, hated that in Dirt2.

Date: September 18, 2010 12:29AM
ralv585 Wrote:

> The PC version obviously looks the best, crisp,
> clean and better lighting, as you'd expect.
>
>

yeah agree, gotta love the higher resolutions :)

graphically it looks the dogs!

So long as its it immersive thats all i care about

Its the anal retentive negatives that spoil the whole concept of it.

I wonder if they email the BBC and complain that they dont feel the G-Forces and twitchiness of F1 when they watch it on tv :)

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 18, 2010 12:53AM
Until us proper racing fans have it in our hands, we'll never know how good it is.

But everything i've seen and read, leads me to believe this is going to be nothing short of brilliant.

All those hard core sim racers saying it's not going to be as realistic as our game, Anthony Davidson, a professional racing driving says that playing games like rfactor and iracing is actually more difficult than real life, and not realistic at all!

I have complete faith in Anthony, he's a genuinely nice bloke and avid gamer, so this game will be good :)

Haven't looked forward to a game more than this since GP4, the hype and buzz surrounding it is fantastic.

And with GT5 coming up in November, this is gonna be a great year for race fans :)

Date: September 18, 2010 01:10AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Haha, Polyphony's head guy already announced they began work on GT6 due to not being able to fit everything into GT5 ;)
Date: September 18, 2010 01:58AM
Posted by: gav
LS.
I doubt PC sales are top of their priority for sales figures, given the amount of people that download illegal versions from torrent sites

So why aren't they offering a demo again?

ravlsomething
All those hard core sim racers saying it's not going to be as realistic as our game, Anthony Davidson, a professional racing driving says that playing games like rfactor and iracing is actually more difficult than real life, and not realistic at all!

Have you even played a proper sim?

This is a game. It's fun. It's persuasive. It's not a sim in any way, which is what it's meant to be.

By your reckoning us 'Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix World Champions' currently the best sim out there?

Regardless, Anthony Davison, to my knowledge, doesn't have an iRacing account, so I'd like a source for that one please.
Date: September 18, 2010 02:26AM
gavsomething Wrote:

> Have you even played a proper sim?

When the professional racing driver says that the sim doesn't play like real life, you have to question how good the sim actually is in the first place.

If you've been following the development of the game, be it twitter, dev videos, interviews etc, you'll know that Ant has been instrumental in developing the handling, so you have to trust him as he for sure knows better than any of us.

And i do play GTR2 and rFactor on occasion, to take it to another extreme, i do play some FSX sometimes too.

> Regardless, Anthony Davison, to my knowledge,
> doesn't have an iRacing account, so I'd like a
> source for that one please.

Skip to 10 min, 20 seconds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy