Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 06, 2010 07:28PM
Posted by: bsmaff
I know I am half to blame for the topic.

But can we stop the gay old topic of PC versus console.

And get this back on the topic of F1 2010.
Date: September 06, 2010 08:48PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: September 07, 2010 06:09AM
Posted by: ___Flanker___
will be possible to play with keyboard?
somebody know?
something like gp4 gameplay...

and, mid-race saves will be present?
Date: September 07, 2010 07:12AM
Posted by: watercolours
I don't think it will be playable with keyboard, but I am not sure.
For mid-race saves, they announced that there won't be such an option.
Date: September 07, 2010 08:58AM
Posted by: casabonka
watercolours Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think it will be playable with keyboard,
> but I am not sure.
> For mid-race saves, they announced that there
> won't be such an option.

That was the biggest prob with PS3's last effort that you couldn't save mid race.

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 07, 2010 04:29PM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's been the problem with any F1 game since GP 3 or 4
Date: September 07, 2010 05:40PM
Posted by: gav
It's not a problem at all. For sims it's a good thing. Not saying that an option shouldn't be there as such, but I'm pleased when devs haven't put effort into introducing a mid-race save.

For the casual racer, fare enough (and GPx was able to bridge the gap with the various driving aids and variable field strength), and I suppose for things like F1 2010 it wouldn't be an issue (given that it won't be a sim), but still, it's not something which should detract from the game.

It's not like you can save games half way through most sports games, be it motorsport, football, ice hockey, whatever - though I've not played most for a good few years now, so that may have changed.
Date: September 07, 2010 06:04PM
gav Wrote:
> It's not a problem at all. For sims it's a good
> thing. Not saying that an option shouldn't be
> there as such, but I'm pleased when devs haven't
> put effort into introducing a mid-race save.
>
> For the casual racer, fare enough (and GPx was
> able to bridge the gap with the various driving
> aids and variable field strength), and I suppose
> for things like F1 2010 it wouldn't be an issue
> (given that it won't be a sim), but still, it's
> not something which should detract from the game.
>
> It's not like you can save games half way through
> most sports games, be it motorsport, football, ice
> hockey, whatever - though I've not played most for
> a good few years now, so that may have changed.

You can't but in the vast majority you can't play the full length either. PES/FIFA allow 40/30 total minutes respectively. NBA 2k/Live allow 48 minutes of play and Live used to allow to save mid-game. NHL allows full play as well but it's been a while since I played so I can't tell. MLB 10 has full play and allows save mid-game, and the last Madden I played also did.

The common factor there is the total time of play is less than 50 minutes. The racing includes qualifying and a 90-minute race, so about 120 minutes. Giving the opportunity to save mid-game isn't like real life but saying you're pleased they don't have it isn't fair either. Saving mid-game in would be just like creating a sim with enough aids to allow the arcade user to have fun, instead of having the game designed for arcade users. You don't have to use the save if you don't want and it doesn't go against your racing experience.

Lastly, one scenario: You're finishing up a race weekend and after doing almost 2 hours of intense concentration you're battling up front and get to the lead, but the poor weather outside looks menacing. Speaking from experience I'd love to save my progress instead of having the power go out and lose all that.
Date: September 07, 2010 07:13PM
Guimengo
but saying you're pleased they don't have it isn't fair either

I'm pleased because it means effort which would have gone into programming a relatively complex save-game which will have been put to better use in a more important area.

I'd be staggered if you can't save between sessions. That would be ridiculous. It must have that (and presumably does).

Like Fifa or whatever, just select a shorter race. You're only battling yourself. If it's online you can't save it, so what would you do if the weather turned nasty then (not that it has any effect in a place like this - power goes off maybe 6 times a year maximum)?
Date: September 08, 2010 01:27AM
Posted by: Frantic
if you are having a full length race at 2AM and you are in lap 22 of 53, just pause the game, go to sleep and then when you wake up you´re back from the other 31 laps ;)

in PC you can do that, dont know in PS3 because i havent got one, but when i played Gran Turismo 4 in PS2 and was racing LeMans 24 hr (or some endurance) i used to left the console turned on, go to sleep, wake up and go back to racing... My Ps2 is still alive

Date: September 08, 2010 12:33PM
Posted by: Willb
gav Wrote:
>
> I'd be staggered if you can't save between
> sessions. That would be ridiculous. It must have
> that (and presumably does).

It has been confirmed that you can save between sessions ;-).

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: September 08, 2010 04:41PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I dunno...in NBA 2k10 you can save mid-game to continue later. But I also think that if they left the save option out so they could concentrate on other things, then it was a good choice.

And I'll be buying this for PC. I just got a Core i7 to run Civilization V, so F1 should be fine ;)
Date: September 08, 2010 06:06PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Tiger Woods 08 you can save a round whenever you want, doesn't even have to be between holes.

Ashes Cricket 09 you can save at any time during a match doesn't matter what ball in what over(I know most of you wouldn't understand that terminology).

Guess who makes Ashes 09, ironically? Codemasters.;)
Date: September 08, 2010 11:12PM
Posted by: Robert
Ho3n3r Wrote:
> Guess who makes Ashes 09, ironically?
> Codemasters.;)

Well, transmission/now trickstar games actually ;)

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: September 08, 2010 11:31PM
Joe_Satriani
And I'll be buying this for PC. I just got a Core i7 to run Civilization V, so F1 should be fine ;)

It won't be the CPU which limits this, it'll be the GPU. ;-)

Horn3r
Tiger Woods 08 you can save a round whenever you want, doesn't even have to be between holes.

Ashes Cricket 09 you can save at any time during a match doesn't matter what ball in what over(I know most of you wouldn't understand that terminology).

Those games aren't massively affected by a long pause though. Sure, you might lose a little touch, but you're already paused when you save - it's the nature of the game. In a racing game, you're always flat out, and feel and getting 'into the zone' is critical. In sims if I test for a track one night I'd be rubbish in my first laps the following day until I'd warmed up a bit - sure, in a racing game (rather than a sim, which is how I'll differentiate these) it'll be milder, but the same principles will apply.

For F1 2010, while it might be a feature which some would appreciate, in my opinion it wouldn't detract from the game at all to have it missing - indeed it would improve the game by forcing you to improve - no longer could you save mid-race, as in GPx, then simply revert to an old save if you mess up. No serious sim would have such a feature, and I've no problem if it's way down the list, or even missing completely in any semi-serious racing game (which I'll deem as anything from CMR2 up).

If it were to be introduced in a future version, the best way they could do it would be to only allow it at a pit-stop. That's probably the best balance they could achieve.
Date: September 08, 2010 11:42PM
Posted by: LS.
The game manual is up on steam for anyone wishing to look at it, same as every version, except for the controls setup

[cdn.steampowered.com]

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 09, 2010 06:01PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
gav Wrote:
> For F1 2010, while it might be a feature which
> some would appreciate, in my opinion it wouldn't
> detract from the game at all to have it missing -
> indeed it would improve the game by forcing you to
> improve - no longer could you save mid-race, as in
> GPx, then simply revert to an old save if you mess
> up. No serious sim would have such a feature, and
> I've no problem if it's way down the list, or even
> missing completely in any semi-serious racing game
> (which I'll deem as anything from CMR2 up).

You won't like the "flashback" mode then:

"When things go wrong in a race simply select Instant Replay from the Pause menu and rewind your race to a point before things began to go awry. When you find your ideal point within the race, hit the Flashback button to jump back in time and correct your mistake.

You have a fixed number of Flashbacks, so use them wisely. This number changes based upon the difficulty level you have selected, so you may find you need to use them sparingly.

Note that with the games difficulty set to Expert, no Flashbacks will be available."

:/

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 09, 2010 06:18PM
Posted by: LS.
yeah i imagined flashback would be in it in some form, arcade mode with the sounds of it

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 09, 2010 06:42PM
With game set to Expert, Flashback is disabled.

Yes, I've read through the whole manual ;).
Date: September 09, 2010 10:46PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
As soon as I get this, I'll do the thing I do for every racing game: try out all the teams in a quick race or whatever. And no flashbacks for me.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy