Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: December 05, 2009 06:20AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Saw a review of it on Gamespot a few days ago. Very sad.
Date: December 21, 2009 02:22PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Was checking out some vid's of the Wii version of F1 2009. OMG!!!

That's just ridiculous, it takes away the essence of what is Formula 1 - which is trying to take each corner inch perfect so as to gain time on your opponents... In this case, its more a case of mile perfect... if you can manage to just stay on the track without bumping into stuff, you will win easily.

Take Grand Prix 4: over-or-undershooting your breaking point could easily cost you 3 tenths up to half a second, which could be the difference between 1st and 6th on the grid. If the computer version does not have this realism, I will not be looking into buying it.

Also, the overtaking is soooo easy. When coming out of a corner behind an opponent, they look like a cow on wheels being passed by you - mobile, but slow and not very nimble.
Date: December 21, 2009 02:29PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I love when people use GP4 to talk about realism, lol.

Anyway -

That's just ridiculous, it takes away the essence of what is Formula 1 - which is trying to take each corner inch perfect so as to gain time on your opponents... In this case, its more a case of mile perfect... if you can manage to just stay on the track without bumping into stuff, you will win easily.

F1 97 on the PSX/PC also suffered from this. It was still awesome.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 21, 2009 03:22PM
Why DaveEllis? Have you ever been in an F1, so you can judge what is more real and what is less so? If not, I think we can all have our opinions and from on-board footage and real driver feedback I think we can safely say nothing comes closer!

And we clearly like different types of games - I want simulation, you want arcade.
Date: December 21, 2009 03:37PM
Have you ever been in F1?

I want simulation, you want arcade.

Yeah man, that Grand Prix Legends game was all arcade.

You want simulations, but play GP4. GP4 was a bit questionable when it was released, nevermind now. It uses about 30 parameters to define the approximate behaviour of a high complex vehicle. (Yes, I've done my fair share of physics editing, bet you didn't expect that). Try moving onto a modern simulation such as rFactor (I recommend trying CART Factor, you'll see why), NetKar Pro or iRacing, then let me know how you think GP4 stacks up.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 21, 2009 03:59PM
Yeah obviously not compared to those - besides the fact that my computer will never be able to run them. But for a game that gives you all the excitement of a race weekend and pitstop importance, etc. all combined, nothing else comes close. And you have to agree that it wasn't half bad for its time either.

But I'd love to play rFactor one day.
Date: December 21, 2009 04:02PM
What I meant by I want simulation, you want arcade was that if you like F1 97 on the PSX/PC, then you must like arcade, because it sure as hell wasn't nearly as realistic as GP4.

Edit: And you didn't make a reference to GPL before, only F1 97. So sorry for that, because GPL is massively realistic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 04:04PM by Ho3n3r.
Date: December 21, 2009 04:10PM
GP4 was fine for it's time, but it was also never a proper simulation. What GP4 is brilliant at is bridging the gap between arcade and simulation. It handles approximately like what a racing car should handle like, but without all the depth and details which really make a simulation. It isn't an arcade game, but by no standards (even in 2001) can it be called a proper simulation.

GP4 came 3 years later than Grand Prix Legends, which was first released in 1998. Whilst it is finally beginning to show its age, that is still considered one of the best simulations around, and certainly one of the best of all time.

There is nothing wrong with treating GP4 for what it is. Semi-sim, that does what you'd expect a racing car to do, without being overly difficult and excluding it from the wider audience.

This Codemasters game. Anyone who expects realism is either quite gullible, or killing themselves IMO. Of course it'll be an arcade game. The point is, as long as its a FUN arcade game, then there is nothing wrong with it. Arcade games can be awesome (Flatout, F1 97), just as well as rubbish (F1 98). I'd love them to go out and produce the best simulation ever made, but I certainly don't expect them to. Being arcade doesn't make it a bad game, being a bad game makes it a bad game. The Wii version was always going to be the "worst" of the 3, for reasons we've already gone over in this thread. I'm surprised they even bothered with a Wii version when the target audience is PS3 and 360. Modern Warfare 2 and GTA4 have proven you don't need the Wii to bring in the sales.

Edit: My GPL reference was more to do with the assumption that I wanted arcade racing games, despite not having posted an opinion on those. As someone with a negative GPL Rank, a rFactor mod out and a Pro License in iRacing, I think it is safe to say, I prefer my simulations. ;)

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 04:12PM by DaveEllis.
Date: December 21, 2009 07:51PM
Posted by: chet
Didnt a former F1 driver once say, if F1 in 1967 was anything like GPL the whole field would have died?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 21, 2009 11:12PM
Posted by: Morbid
That was in reference to the twitchyness of the handling when overdriven, not the cars handling overall. As far as I know, this was due to flaws in the tyre model. And it was a mechanic, not a driver, who said that.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 11:12PM by Morbid.
Date: December 22, 2009 03:23AM
BRM Mechanic indeed. Jackie Stewart said it was very impressive.

Having the cars too twitchy is a tiny problem compared to the problems of almost every other sim.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 22, 2009 04:06AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
The only real problem with gpl is it has not enough low speed grip so feel like you're on ice at low speeds and wonder why there's so little grip when going slow.
Also i believe that had to camber almost all the corners (if only slightly) in order to give the illusion of realistic grip levels, even if the corners weren't cambered in real life - using the track to mask the physics. Not that the tracks are hugely accurate - although it must be immensely tricky to do if you are under strict time constraints on circuits that don't exist anymore.

Mods correct the low speed grip (though somehow it feels like there's too much now at least in the 65 mod). A better slipstream effect is also added making tow come into play more - sadly it seems a bit overdone to me in that you can make big mistakes and still get enough tow to catch up again from 200/300 metres or so away at monza (i don't really know the distance and can't judge them well, but let's just say it seems a lot - so much so that it is very difficult to make a break away / impossible unless the person chasing you crashes - you can even stick with and pass people much faster than you due to it).

On the subject of gp4, the game was good when it was gp2 (and probably gp1, i dont really have many memories of that) but the game itself hasn't changed at all in physics really - it's the same game with prettier graphics and rain. That's why it's so basic in that regard.

Mind you, you can tell iracing is built on gpl - although with improvements (unlike gp4).

H E L L O
Date: December 25, 2009 09:24PM
Posted by: matt3454
I downloaded F1 2009 for the iPhone yesterday and graphically its alright. Just the controls are downright awful, using the accelerometre for turning is not practical in the slightest.

Date: December 27, 2009 10:41PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
ok so iv now got a wii and the f1 09 game with steering wheel. Its terrible.

Just nothing like the realism of gp4. i cant seem to find any good points, ok its funny to see piquet near the back most of the time ;)

Date: December 27, 2009 11:37PM
Just nothing like the realism of gp4.

*faceplam again*

I downloaded F1 2009 for the iPhone yesterday and graphically its alright. Just the controls are downright awful, using the accelerometre for turning is not practical in the slightest

that seems to be the fashion with iPhone games. "ooo, it has an accelerometre, we have to utilise that!". But I suppose its kinda hard to do otherwise, as you don't really have much in the way of space or controls.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 28, 2009 09:32AM
Posted by: senninho
I've seen some iPhone apps which have a translucent overlay of a d-pad and buttons - that seems to be the best way of doing it. The accelerometer control is generally gimmick-tastic :(

Date: December 29, 2009 11:45AM
Posted by: msater
I was on my cousins Wii on Sunday, they got the F1 game for Christmas. It was good, but it was definitely an arcade game all the way. But a good arcade game, all the same. I came 12th, from the back of the grid, at Istanbul, lol. I had every driving aid on.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: December 29, 2009 08:04PM
Posted by: matt3454
Nothing really works for racing games on the iPhone imo. The accelerometre makes it hard to drive in a straight line and the d-pad just doesn't work for me.

Date: December 30, 2009 05:29PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Dunno if you guys have seen this

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: December 31, 2009 08:34AM
"F1 2009 Wii - How it should have been"

What? You mean it isn't?! Hardcore F1 enthusiasts will be so disappointed ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy