Grand Theft Auto IV

Posted by Karan 
Re: Grand Theft Auto IV
Date: September 19, 2007 04:42PM
Posted by: Nickv
Thompson wants Goldberg removed

Jack Thompson has come to the *cough* crazy conclusion that Tom "Guns don't kill people, videogames do" Goldberg is somehow based on him. And he's now threatening to block GTA IV's release unless the references are removed.

Goldberg is a shady lawyer who featured in one of the two missions previewed by gaming magazines in July. The mission demands that Niko kills him, and Thompson believes this reference is "threatening his physical safety:"

I have this morning read with interest an article on page 80 and 81 of the September 2007 issue of Game Informer magazine which was generated when, according to its author, Rockstar Games “stopped by the Game Informer offices for an impromptu hour-long gameplay session with the Xbox 360 version of the game."

The showcasing play of the game to Game Informer revealed that the first killing mission of the "hero" of the game, Niko, is to kill a certain lawyer. When Niko comes into this lawyer’s office, having used subterfuge to do so, Niko pulls a gun on the lawyer who says, "that the firm supports the second amendment and that 'Guns don’t kill people. Video games do.'"

…The fact that the lawyer, killed on Niko’s first mission, would bring up video games, makes it clearly a reference to me… This is not the first time Rockstar Games and Take Two have targeted me in this fashion. Take Two references to me as a bisexual pedophile on its corporate website…

You have until five o’clock P.M. this Friday… to inform me that you are going to delete the above references and any other references that could reasonably be construed to be references to me in Grand Theft Auto IV and any other video games that are pending release…

Now you have descended this low - using one of your games to threaten my physical safety… Failure to comply with the deadline… will result in my having to take necessary and proper means to stop release of the game which targets me personally… given the copycatting of violent games…

OMG...
Date: September 19, 2007 05:05PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Jack Thompson is awesome. if it wasnt for him, id laugh alot less! or something.

Date: September 19, 2007 07:11PM
Posted by: Muks_C
what an ass-face!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: September 20, 2007 06:14PM
Posted by: dkpioe
i think its fair to remove any charactes that resemble (implicitely) a real life person. its simple to for a game to developer to put 'hate' into a game, make people playing the game virtually kill a person in the game, knowing that the target is based on a real person. that just isnt right, or even fair. i reckon rockstars are smartasses if they want to include a character based on this guy. they can make the game fun and entertaining without taking cheap shots at real people.. they are making enough money so why would they need this arrogant attituded included inside the game.
Date: September 20, 2007 06:52PM
dkpioe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think its fair to remove any charactes that
> resemble (implicitely) a real life person. its
> simple to for a game to developer to put 'hate'
> into a game, make people playing the game
> virtually kill a person in the game, knowing that
> the target is based on a real person. that just
> isnt right, or even fair. i reckon rockstars are
> smartasses if they want to include a character
> based on this guy. they can make the game fun and
> entertaining without taking cheap shots at real
> people.. they are making enough money so why would
> they need this arrogant attituded included inside
> the game.

So you obviously miss the entire point of the grand theft auto series characters.

most of the characters are piss takes of people. and the fact that this could resemble jack thompson is meh anyway i bet you rockstar have made it different enough to claim its not jack thompson anyway.

Date: October 04, 2007 10:52PM
Posted by: Flamex
why's it called GTA 4? there's loads of others...it baffles me and confuses me...ITS NOT NUMBER 4!
Date: October 05, 2007 07:02AM
yes it is.

GTA 3
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas

GTA 4.

San andreas and vice city come under as expansion addons for GTA3.

Date: October 05, 2007 08:53AM
Posted by: Dahie
sorta stand-alone extendsion addons, but still based on gta3

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: October 05, 2007 02:18PM
Posted by: Advong
Didn't 3, Vice City and San Andreas basically all use the same engine. GTA4 has a new game engine, hence its 4
Date: October 05, 2007 02:57PM
well thats not the reason why this new one is GTA4.

vice city and san andreas are just massive expansion packs for GTA3.

Date: October 06, 2007 02:49AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
It is - they are both the reason.

Rockstar said that they felt they wouldn't want to call a gta game a new number unless it's a significant leap in terms of the gameplay. That's why the ones on the same engine aren't considered sequels.

H E L L O
Date: November 30, 2007 07:39PM
Posted by: Nickv
Woooo, new trailer on December the 6th :D
Date: December 01, 2007 05:03AM
and the boxart was relesed the other day to

Date: December 01, 2007 02:23PM
and it's got a helicopter :D

Date: December 01, 2007 06:08PM
yeah helicopters are in the game, just not aeroplanes :(

Date: December 04, 2007 02:13PM
every box art since GTA3 had a helicopter in it, even the stories, that's why I was laughing.

Date: December 04, 2007 03:33PM
i dont think GTA III had one, mainly because it didnt have helicopters

Date: December 04, 2007 03:45PM
Posted by: TC
It had a helicopter on the box art, can't remember if you could fly one in game. I only remember the short winged plane.
Date: December 04, 2007 06:07PM
Posted by: Craigo
It was on the box cover but purely resembled the police helicoptors which chased and shot at u ;)

Date: December 09, 2007 02:37PM
what do you think about the new trailer? I find the graphics just stunning and I start to like the humor of Nico. :)
*russian* If you put it like this ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy