Is GTR2 any good?

Posted by Gené and Tonic 
Is GTR2 any good?
Date: February 10, 2009 06:25PM
Posted by: Gené and Tonic
I'm getting back into sim racing games due to the wise purchase of Richard Burns Rally. I've been searching for titles and games that I haven't played at all, such as GT Legends, GTR, GTR2(I'm assuming GTR2 is better than GTR1), Race07 seem to be getting some good reviews.
I was wondering what views the GPG community had on these games, and if they are worth buying or not. How do they compare to games such as LFS or rFactor? Is GT Legends a GPL for sports cars?

On a side-note I'm searching for a cheap copy of NR2003...eBay for once has failed me :p
Re: Is GTR2 any good?
Date: February 10, 2009 07:02PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Date: February 10, 2009 07:08PM
Posted by: Guimengo
GT Legends has a bad, evil copyright program so rule that out. GTR 2 is better than 1 and it's fun though it feels too easy to control the car. Race 07 is constantly bashed by people who are more demanding of a sim due to track and car inaccuracies, and being made by other people than the GTR 2 group. I'd not buy LFS or rFactor now if I were you (I have GT2, rF, GPL, NR 2003 and RBR of the ones you mentioned). NR 2003 should have come down in price on e-bay, it was hovering around the hundreds but the price had fallen. If you're going to get it for the GTP mod, think twice :(.
Date: February 10, 2009 09:10PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
I like GTR2 I used to play it all them time. moved on to rFactor now though.... GTR Evolution is good too. I bought a copy a few weeks ago from amazon for £11. Quite enjoy that too, as it has loads of GT cars, Race 07 is included plus caterhams, Formula BMW, Radicals and more...
Date: February 11, 2009 07:53AM
Posted by: Peat
If your willing to put in the effort, i'd get rfactor. The sheer amount of GOOD free content is second to none.

Date: February 11, 2009 09:07AM
Posted by: Bruce D
Honestly I think GTR2 is still the best of them around. rFactor has definately got more content, but those mods that have been transfered to GTR2 always come out better on the later for some reason. I always found rFactor a bit arcady, but thats my personal opinion. As for Race07, well I own it but uninstalled it after I got the WTCC mod and the F3000 mod for GTR2 and dont even think about it, again they just work better and less PC intense on the GTR2 package, which is wierd cos they're the same graphics engine. I still haven't tried GTR Evolution, but again you can get all the stuff for GTR2 anyway. And there is a new rFactor2 coming out some time so rFactor will be a waste of time getting now. As for the GTR2 cars being too easy, maybe the original cars are, although not in the wet, even with traction control on, but certainly a lot of mods have made the difference. The A1GP mod is really tricky to drive fast, as is the F12008 mod, which is brilliant.
Date: February 11, 2009 10:55AM
Posted by: bazza_racer
I got told not to buy rFactor because rF2 was due to come out soon...... I've been playing it for a year now. Theres no date set so don't hold your breath lol.
I think it varies with mod to mod. I don't feel that any I have are acrcady in any way, the opposite infact I feel they are very good, being made by gamers for gamers. A lot of effort goes into these mods and the majority are very good with people making a game that others will like, not to make money. I've owned Race, GTR2, rFactor, and now GTR Evo which has race 07 with it, and although I play GTR evo a bit I much prefer playing rFactor. Even if it's playing the raceX conversion of race.. just to have the mods i like in one place.
I do prefer the older layout of GTR2 than the new one. it may be that I'm used to rFactor too much now and the very user friendly layout, so I don't get on with the GTR Evo layout, it feels like it's screen after screen....

Get both mate. rFactor is great for it's adaptability and online play. GTR 2 is also cracking, although the EVO content carries a lot more with it, you can probably download the mods for GTR2 anyway.....
Date: February 11, 2009 11:24AM
Posted by: Morbid
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GT Legends has a bad, evil copyright program so
> rule that out. GTR 2 is better than 1 and it's fun
> though it feels too easy to control the car.

I never thought I would see the day...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 11, 2009 03:50PM
Ha... ha. GPL has very unrealistic stuff, we played rFactor on the hardest mod around without aids at what was my 2nd week of owning the game and I was involved in 2 accidents and always blamed for ones I had nothing to do.

Morbid trolling, wow, shame I saw the day.
Date: February 11, 2009 04:46PM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
You should probably consider getting LFS too, as it is the best game for casual racing right now. For leagues, rFactor is imo a better choice because of the presence of night and day, mods and all that, but LFS has an awesome netcode, excellent physics, runs smoothly in almost any pc and good racing is guaranteed at any time of the day. So, if you're willing to put up with the shortcomings of an unfinished game, I think you should try it.
Date: February 11, 2009 04:52PM
If you're looking for offline racing, stay off rF. It has a handful of good mods but offline it's lackluster with the bad AI. LFS from what I know isn't mod-friendly.
Date: February 11, 2009 07:04PM
Posted by: Morbid
Guimengo Wrote:
> Ha... ha. GPL has very unrealistic stuff, we
> played rFactor on the hardest mod around without
> aids at what was my 2nd week of owning the game
> and I was involved in 2 accidents and always
> blamed for ones I had nothing to do.
>
> Morbid trolling, wow, shame I saw the day.

I am certainly not trolling.

I have raced plenty enough with you to know you, and no, you did certainly not race with no aids... I was the ONLY ONE on the server doing that!! You crashed out in T1 on the first lap, recovered, and crashed out again in the T2-T4 complex, still on lap 1, wrecking you car. You drove the 2005 Renault (the best car) and I drove the Minardi (the worst car). You had 2 weeks of practice, I had zero practice.

You kept on bitching in the chat for a restart until nobody was left on the track, and you gripped about too in the MSN chat afterwards. I know this because I hosted the race, I had the chat logs and replays, and I was the last person to leave the track.

You might think I am mistaken then, about your character as a racer... but I shall let you in on a little secret: I am very far from alone in my perception of things. Enough said...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: February 11, 2009 07:09PM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
Yes, but you have to keep in mind that the game is in alpha stage, so modding would be pointless, because every update to the game would cause mods to be incompatible.
Date: February 11, 2009 10:09PM
Morbid Wrote:
> Guimengo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ha... ha. GPL has very unrealistic stuff, we
> > played rFactor on the hardest mod around
> without
> > aids at what was my 2nd week of owning the game
> > and I was involved in 2 accidents and always
> > blamed for ones I had nothing to do.
> >
> > Morbid trolling, wow, shame I saw the day.
>
>
> I am certainly not trolling.
>
> I have raced plenty enough with you to know you,
> and no, you did certainly not race with no aids...
> I was the ONLY ONE on the server doing that!! You
> crashed out in T1 on the first lap, recovered, and
> crashed out again in the T2-T4 complex, still on
> lap 1, wrecking you car. You drove the 2005
> Renault (the best car) and I drove the Minardi
> (the worst car). You had 2 weeks of practice, I
> had zero practice.
>
> You kept on bitching in the chat for a restart
> until nobody was left on the track, and you
> gripped about too in the MSN chat afterwards. I
> know this because I hosted the race, I had the
> chat logs and replays, and I was the last person
> to leave the track.
>
> You might think I am mistaken then, about your
> character as a racer... but I shall let you in on
> a little secret: I am very far from alone in my
> perception of things. Enough said...

That's the 2005 CTDP mod, I was referring to 1979. The CTDP mod was new to me, everyone else on the server had TC and some I think had ABS (I tried with and without) and I don't remember the MSN talks but I was always vocal when it came to something I thought was unfair. I do recall begging you, along with others, to use at least TC because you had so many issues with the aid-less car. I know who are the other people, they don't know me like they think. Enough said, we move on.
Date: February 11, 2009 10:10PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Ha... ha. GPL has very unrealistic stuff, we played rFactor on the hardest mod around without aids at what was my 2nd week of owning the game and I was involved in 2 accidents and always blamed for ones I had nothing to do.

Bullsh*t. We let you into a GP79 race at Zolder that I hosted and we had to boot you because you caused an accident on EVERY START.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 11, 2009 10:51PM
Re-watch the replay
Date: February 11, 2009 10:54PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Yeah, because I save replays of all your incompetance. I have 1TB of HDD space and would still run out. I remember it just fine. One time you even spun leaving the grid, under throttle.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 11, 2009 11:22PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Gui did a cameo appearance in Vader Trophy last season (7) at Silverstone; needless to say he didn't do that well and got mercilessly ripped by all of us for it. Perhaps more practice is in order. ;-)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 11:23PM by turkey_machine.
Date: February 12, 2009 02:06PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Let me say one thing, I'll defend him, Gui was a test driver for my Formula 1 Career-Sim.com series team, the BMW Sauber, and was good enough for us @ Bahrain. BTW, no aids apart of Auto Clutch was allowed :)

The problem is that you guys never gave him enough time to get the grips with the mods that are thrown at him :)

BTW, F1CS series is dead now, all the drivers now moved to Digital-Racing.net. We have a Formula 2 look alike series goin on with F-Nippon mod for those who are interested. All the F1 Seats are taken for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2009 02:07PM by Bruninho.
Date: February 12, 2009 02:46PM
Posted by: Floris_Koop_GP4Freak
This is @#$%& hilarious!! Flaming each other for the way one is driving.. Genious thread.. I have mixed feelings though, because it's sad to see this on GPG, nevertheless, it's brilliant to read it..

Go on guys, make our day!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy