Date: August 20, 2008 05:20PM
Posted by: chet
OT - where were you karting if i may ask :p

GTR rain wasnt too good either for performance. Nor was F1c

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: rFactor Screenies.
Date: August 20, 2008 05:25PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I think it's only GTR which I've played in recent years which has had it, though I presume GTR2 has it too. [/o]

GTR, GTR2, RACE, RACE07, GTR Evolution and RACE360 have it. But it isn't very good.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 20, 2008 05:43PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OT - where were you karting if i may ask :p

The mad, mad Gateshead indoor track. Traditional Knockhill BTCC meet we have where the Saturday is taken up by fannying about doing something which inevitably ends up in bruises, pulled muscles or general ailments brought about by being too old or unfit. :P

I don't think Dave has been back since his first experience of the place either. :P

We prefer the outdoor track at Sunderland, especially in the forecast weather (rain), but it was unavailable.

chet Wrote:
> GTR rain wasnt too good either for performance.
> Nor was F1c

Well F1C was the same era as GP4, give or take, so it's fair to say it was never going to live up to much. I can't even remember the GTR rain, and never played anything else with rain since GP4.

Rain is certainly possible, and physics wise, if the core physics model is decent, then adding rain to the mix ought to be relatively easy.

Graphically it ought to be piss simple as well (even GPL has had a fog option built in from the start), but making it work so it's at a level close to the rest of the game would be a nightmare without obliterating the frame-rate.

Look at recent games with large volumetric smoke (I used the example of World in Conflict demo benchmark at the weekend) where in an explosion, even a mass of smoke which takes up 1/3 of the screen simply kills the frame rate. To half-realistically render spray in a modern game, plus all the additional reflections and individual droplets, would be a massive challenge.

I know a lot were extremely annoyed at ISI for never implementing what was on the todo list (myself included), but now I sit down and think about it, I can't even understand how it made it onto such a list, regardless of intent. Dave might want correct me there as I've been rather out of touch with rF from near the beginning. Is it a possibility for rF2?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 05:47PM by gav.
Date: August 20, 2008 06:13PM
I don't think Dave has been back since his first experience of the place either. :P

That circuit is STUPID.

Dave might want correct me there as I've been rather out of touch with rF from near the beginning. Is it a possibility for rF2?

It is a very real possibility for rF2, in fact it may already be "in" it. ISI always said that they would never do half arsed rain. If they were going to do rain then it must be done properly, not like F1C (which only had rain because EA wanted it).

Somewhat worryingly, the "Rain Circuits" for rFactor such as Montral 2008, Nurburgring, and Putnam, have much better rain physics and spray than GTR2. Ok the conditions are not changeable and it is always a compromise, but it works exceptionally well, especially compared to companies like Simbin who ploughed money into developing "proper" rain.

But at the end of the day, its a gimmick. It wouldn't be extensively used like people claim. Most will run it every so often then go back to racing in the dry. I'd much rather ISI spend time talking to the RealFeel developers, or Niels and Renato about the tyre physics, than develop rain.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 20, 2008 06:24PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I don't think Dave has been back since his first
> experience of the place either. :P
>
> That circuit is STUPID.

It's awesome! Completely @#$%& up in every conceivable way. Just what you want to race on. It's like a Scalextric track but with actual death.

For those who don't know, it's a 2-tier track where you go up a ramp flat out, bottoming out, turn sharp left, still with your foot mashed (only just, and if you can hold it there) with the left-front in the air (in a rigid chassis remember), get flung from one side of the seat to the other, go down the ramp, still accelerating, bottom out again and carry on around the rest of the track, which is still full of corners which are only just flat out.

They had pumped the tyres up this year to try to limit the bottoming out, but that made the cars 'bounce', as Neil put it, around the corners. Very little from what I felt, but it was noticeable from the last time. And it didn't solve the bottoming issue either.

If you were to design a great track for relatively slow, rented karts, this would be it.

That picture does the ramp no justice at all. It's far steeper and sharper than that.

The stats are bollocks too. Our fastest lap (Kev, predictably, though Neil was close) was 27.8 and the slowest of us was a 28.6. It's more like 300m than 500m and it feels like you're doing 140mph next to the tyre walls.

Oh, and Ian got rammed into a bridge. It's funny if you know the history between Rich, Ian and bridges in VT. :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2008 06:28PM by gav.
Date: October 26, 2008 11:23PM
Posted by: Karan
Date: October 28, 2008 07:14AM
Date: October 28, 2008 04:25PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I thought the hands and arms were supposed to move?
Date: October 28, 2008 05:44PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Nice.

[Edited by myself after a POLITE AND EDUCATED request from Michael Lam at 10-28-2008, 10:55PM]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 01:58AM by Bruninho.
Date: October 28, 2008 11:11PM
Posted by: danny87
Forget it.

Nice screens Karan.

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 11:14PM by danny87.
Date: October 28, 2008 11:15PM
Posted by: Monza972
sasjag Wrote:
> as requested by Monil via Facebook ;)
>
> [i256.photobucket.com]
> reenies/csl1.jpg
> [i256.photobucket.com]
> reenies/csl2.jpg
> [i256.photobucket.com]
> reenies/csl3.jpg

Thanks for these Sim, I love the way these cars look :D
Date: November 02, 2008 02:15AM
Gui the arms/hands dont move in the external views at all do they?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 02:19AM by Karan.
Date: November 02, 2008 03:44AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Nevermind, I was thinking CTDP 06...
Date: November 09, 2008 06:39PM
Posted by: danny87

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".
Date: November 15, 2008 03:41AM
Posted by: sasjag
CART Factor

In a change of plans, the decision has been made to drop CART 98 for rFactor. Do not fear however as it is now part of the improved and expanded CART Factor project.

What does this new name mean for you I hear you ask? Well it means there will be even more CART action coming your way, with the intention to develop three seasons of CART racing, from 1997 to 1999 via the release of various expansions.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: November 15, 2008 04:07PM
Audi R10 TDI Update

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2008 04:08PM by DaveEllis.
Date: November 16, 2008 10:21AM
Posted by: msater
Am I right in saying that´s at Paul Ricard, Dave? Or is actually the Le Mans track?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: November 16, 2008 01:49PM
Posted by: senninho
msater Wrote:
> Am I right in saying that´s at Paul Ricard, Dave?
> Or is actually the Le Mans track?

Most of them are Ricard, but there's also Laguna Seca and (i think) another one in there.

Awesome stuff though. :)

Date: November 16, 2008 02:43PM
Le Mans
Paul Ricard
Mid Ohio
Laguna Seca
Vanport

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 19, 2008 03:35PM
Posted by: Yulcsa
Karan, can you please tell me, which is the best '08 mod for rF? /which you use/
The Force India screens are amazing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy