GP4 Central - Website to close

Posted by TomMK 
Re: GP4 Central - Championship Round 4 - Germany
Date: May 25, 2014 10:10AM
Posted by: TomMK
@Supermonty - I notice you submitted a lap that failed the track checksum check; can you please re-download the circuit and try again?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: May 29, 2014 03:16PM
The difference in car setups for this one is fascinating :) A real mixture between low / medium / high downforce even between just the 4 entrants so far.

A few reminders to all paricipants:

1) In-car setup changing (a GPxPatch feature, possibly the best thing ever?) only works if you have selected "User Defined Setup" in the car setup menu. Make sure you are using this feature, it is a real time-saver.

2) The car reset feature is even more of a time-saver. Press Shift+Backspace before you reach the line, before you start your hotlap. Now you can press Backspace to reset to this position as many times as you want.

3) You can review other participants' car setups by downloading their replays and running HOFxLap on them. This is perfectly acceptable and is encouraged so you can learn better car setup, or just steal the best one if you can't be bothered to learn ;). If you're not sure how to do this just ask.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 03:21PM by TomMK.
It's harder with keyboard on this track than Boromo but it's a true funny drive !

Very good laptime Tom, i think i can reduce the gap but i must take the biggest attack style.
Date: May 29, 2014 03:25PM
Cheers mate. It's my best lap of the season so far. Turns 5 & 6 (the two right-handers) are so hard but I absolutely nailed them on this lap (H).

TomMK
so you can learn better car setup, or just steal the best one if you can't be bothered to learn

Oh, this one is for me. I've just fired my engineers, they were so crap. ;)

Date: May 30, 2014 02:17AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
Just a couple of quick questions for people:

1) What camera view do you drive from?

I've always been a cockpit-cam guy but, when having trouble at this track's fast right-hander at the top of the hill (turn 6?), I switched to the T-cam.
Getting the braking zones is a bit harder I find, but I feel that I'm better able to feel when the back end's about to get away from me.

2) Anyway to get a hotlap from a .upi (save game) file?

I was doing as Tom suggested with the car reset feature, but when I went to save I only had the option of saving the game and not the hotlap.

Cheers,
Doug.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: May 30, 2014 03:45AM
1) I drive from cockpit view. You're right about turn 6, it is a blind apex, you just have to pick a turn in point and hope you hook up the apex. The corner exit is more important than the corner entry for that one though, because of the massive straight after it, you need to be accelerating out of the turn as much as possible.

2) Try setting your reset point further back, if you are too close to the line sometimes GP4 misses the lap. You should set your reset point as far before the grid as you can.

Send me the .upi file anyway and I'll see if I can extract it.

Date: May 30, 2014 04:38AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
Thanks Tom, PM sent.

Also, I just saw this in the help for GPxLap:

It's possible that hotlaps fail to work, even if you restore before the s/f line. It seems that using a longer replay duration makes it far less likely though.

I'll give that a shot, and see what happens.

EDIT: Issue fixed now: As Tom suggested, I moved the reset point further back - just before those fast left-right-left, before the final chicane - and I also increased the replay length slider (under Graphics options) to full.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 07:58AM by AUS_Doug.
Date: May 31, 2014 04:40AM
Probably just after the last chicane is enough, but glad that you solved it (Y).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2014 04:55AM by TomMK.
Date: June 02, 2014 09:58AM
German GP Summary

Final Standings: Click Here

A lap of 1:57.118 puts Jorge over 1.5 seconds clear of the rest for his third win of the season, and in a commanding position in the championship with two events remaining.

Supermonty closed in on TomMK throughout the event but ultimately it wasn't enough and so had to settle for 3rd.

Mario Jr takes his third P4 in a row and debutant AUS_Doug led home Lotus teammate Eric for 5th and 6th respectively.

Date: June 02, 2014 06:22PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Yeah ! A one-two for Lotus ;)

Date: June 02, 2014 06:43PM
Posted by: supermonty
Good job Jorge, impressive lap !

This track was harder for keyboard drivers but i'm happy to be not so far. A wild fight between me and tom is coming for the championship's second place
Date: June 02, 2014 08:22PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Thanks guys.
The 1m58.9 for keyboard is really good. (Y)

As for my hotlap:
S2 and S3 they were my bests. S1 could have been better because i had a 38.2.
Overal im very happy with the lap.

Thank you to all participants.

Cya in Canada.
Date: June 03, 2014 02:09PM
Yep well done everyone. I enjoyed that one, it's a great track.

With the end of season 1 approaching, I'd be interested to hear any suggestions about how we can make the championship better / more fun. If you have any good ideas let me know, I'm looking for ways to make season 2 even better.

Some questions for other participants:

1) Is 6 races per season enough? Or too many?
2) What is your opinion on track selection?
3) What is your opinion on the carset?
4) Do you like doing only Hotlap events? What other styles of event would you like to participate in?

And some ideas of my own for next season:

a) Giving a disadvantage to the top players to make the field more even. Perhaps a weight penalty?
b) Giving some advantage to keyboard players against wheel players?

Discuss :)

Date: June 03, 2014 07:51PM
So far i have a lot of fun. I know some will say its easy for me been championship leader... but its not that all.
I like we that we used new tracks, that we have an automatic system to update the table, so far i think everyone was friendly.
These are good reasons to have fun.

1- 6 tracks a seasons is good.
Although if it was up to me i would like to do a complete season following the F1 calendar. Maybe we can do that for 2015.

2- I think new tracks are the best. Their more detailed and up to date instead of the original Gp4 tracks.

3- Carset is good. Nothing to add here.

4- I like hotlaps and races. A sugestion is to add a race to the hotlap calendar but with the difference that the race is double points
that way is more atractive to all players.

a - Yes i agree on weight penalty but it has to be for the top 3 finishers of each event. For example lets say i win a hotlap i get 5.0 of extra fuel penalty for the next
hotlap, their for i must do the hotlap and cross the finish line with more than 5.0 of fuel. Fuel Penalty: 1st 5.0 2nd 3.0 3rd 1.0 of fuel.
In order to make it more interesting their could be a cumulative sistem to a maximum of 15.0 of fuel. You only add more fuel penalty if you finish in the top 3 but if you dont
finish in the top 3 you get -5.0 of fuel penalty.

b- What i wrote above makes everything more equal because of the fuel penalty system.
Date: June 03, 2014 09:55PM
Posted by: supermonty

I think it's a good number to realise more different seasons

New tracks are better : it's more original, funny and give more challenge (like Boromo without any existing setup)

I'would like to use personal or fictional liveries.

4) Do you like doing only Hotlap events? What other styles of event would you like to participate in?

I think we must mix hotlaps and races

And some ideas of my own for next season:

a) Giving a disadvantage to the top players to make the field more even. Perhaps a weight penalty?

A weight penalty is perhaps a good system (used in the german hotlap liga i remember)

it's difficult because the performance gap between wheels and keyboard isn't the same according to different tracks. We can also create a "keyboard class" in the championship
Date: June 03, 2014 11:52PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Depending of how long a season should be. 6 is good, but it's short in the same time. maybe we could go up to 8 or 9.

That was nice, as said by the other guys. It would be nice if each participant could promote one track of his like though.

Not that it makes a big difference, but all cars with the same perf values would be better.
And I would like to have my personnal livery and helmet too. I won't go faster but I will feel better suited in it. :)

At the moment hotlaps is hard enough for me, and probably for a lot of other people that gave up or never came. But one race a season could be interesting to deal with.

I like Jorge's idea about a fuel penalty. I vote for it :)

You mean giving them an advantage against me ? ahem... Joker !

Date: June 04, 2014 06:13AM
I like the idea of using fuel as a penalty. I think we will add this next season.

Regarding personal liveries - you are welcome to create your own custom textures and use them during your hotlaps. I know it's not the same as everyone using them, but to do that would require people to submit their liveries before the start of the season and I want to avoid that - the championship is supposed to be "pick-up-and-play" for anyone, at anytime during the season.

Another idea I have is to require players submit their replay within a certain time frame (e.g. 24 hours). I want the leaderboard to be more "real-time", so you know that each lap was completed recently.

Date: June 04, 2014 01:58PM
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another idea I have is to require players submit
> their replay within a certain time frame (e.g. 24
> hours). I want the leaderboard to be more
> "real-time", so you know that each lap was
> completed recently.

Tom, theirs no way to cheat on the time frame when the hotlap was done.
I say this because we dont know until the event what track we are using
and the weather seed has changed on all the hotlaps so far.

And another issue, look at Boromo hotlap. I submited early in a way i think that cost me
because i gave the reference to a good lap time(was trying to help because boromo their was no reference time and setup) and i got beaten because i didnt have more time to drive.
So what im saying is that participants must have some room for liberty to submit or
you can go another way and do TL(Time limited) and do the hotlap within for example 30 minutes including submiting it. But i think none here is ready for TL including myself.
Date: June 04, 2014 02:25PM
Yes I see your point. Uploading early could be a disadvantage, because helps your rivals, so it might not be popular. But I think that it could be a good thing.

I want to make it more like real qualifying - remember when Hakkinen or Senna would go out at the end of a session to set their fastest lap? We could have a similar thing. Let's say you set a fast lap early (like you did at Boromo). Then you have to decide; should you upload it within the time limit, or lose it (because you don't want people to know your setup until later) and wait to nearer the end of the event to set a lap? It would give an element of strategy to the event.

I think a very loose time limit, like 4 or 5 days, next season might be worth trying. That way it does not have much impact. You can "hold" your lap for 4 or 5 days before uploading, otherwise it "expires". If it is not popular then I will scrap the rule, simple as that. But I often feel like I want to know how my competitors are doing (like at a real qualifying session), and this rule would help that.

And you're right about TL events - we are not ready yet :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy