The guide to updating Grand Prix 4 to the 2009 Season [closed]

Posted by madotter 
get it at Race Sims Pitstop

X (@ed24f1)
I have a problem with the Brawn and Williams Cars. the Wheels are not in positions they should be - look:
What can I Do? (image from teameditor, but in the game it looks the same way)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 04:01PM by ced90.
Im this same problem.
Look the screen TeamEditor options "wheel position"

Very sorry my english i hope you understand ;)
you guys have to use GP TWEAKER and set the wheels position car by car.. with this tool you can have diff positions for each car in game.

theres a lotta topics about it here..
I installed the 2008 boxencrews. I renamed them in the hope to get them in the right place, but the crews are in order of 2008, the teams and cars and everything in 2009 order. How is it possible to switch the boxencrews?

Thanks for help!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2009 08:58AM by ced90.
I have a question: is there a full 2009 mod coming out???
the reason why i asked this question is that i have the same problem with the williams but i have it also with the bmw.
And the helmet of hamilton is red, (the shape helmet) not his yellow helmet...

Is there anyone who can help me with these problems???

I love to hear from you.

With Regards Paul Smolenaars
i looks like i need help again... since "the Great One" Michael Schumacher is coming back at the European Grand Prix i wanted to have him in the game,too from Valencia till Abu Dhabi... so i renamed the performance file, an tried, and everything went well, but of course he had Massa´s hemlet on his head, so the next thing i wanted to do, is give him his own helmet, but that´s the problem, i downloaded the helmet from here, inserted it into the helmets folder and made some track specific inis for Valencia, Monza and so on... but something went totally wrong because when i launch the game, and the loading is over it crashes. so what did i do wrong? i hope somebody can help me :-)

thanks in advance
right put all the helmet files back the the way they where, leave the performance files they are ok this is how i got schumacher in the game or badoer now

, in massas helmet folder put a folder called Schumacher or badoer, then put the helmet files in there. but call them massa_1 and massa_2 so the game reconsises them

And in the helmet Default.ini file, at the top put this:

Massa11 =Badoer
Massa12 =Badoer
Massa13 =Badoer
Massa14 =Badoer
Massa15 =Badoer
Massa16 =Badoer
Massa17 =Badoer

or the same for schumacher

this directs massas helmet to the badoer folder, but remebver its still looking for Massa_1 and massa_2, so call the tex's files that, not Badoer_1 or Badoer_2, same for schumacher folder.

hope that helps, sorry if im to late and you have solved the problem :) x

no i din´t solve it till now and i think that´s what i did wrong, i named them schumacher_1 and schumacher_2... but now it works :-) so a veeeeery big THANK YOU to MattLeonowicz you saved my day... well or at least you saved my version of the 2009 formula 1 season ;-)
I tried to update to the 2009 and i have done everithing what you people said,but it wont work. It says i need at least csm 1.25... something ??? i downloaded every posible update.. HElp please! sorry if my english had a mistakes. By the way compliments for everyone you've done great work so far with gp4 :))
Hello!

Right long-time lurker who finally has the time (and now the PC) to indulge in GP4 and hopefully modding. Presumably much like a lot of other people I'd like to bring the game up to speed visual and technically to 2009, following this I'd like to set up another 'retro' game, but that's for another day.

Now logically it seemed the best place to start would be this thread. However I'm allready getting a sense that for the uninitiated like myself this is a complicated business.

Following the instructions in the first post in this thread I have patched and decrypted the game and installed GPX. The next logic step appeared to be to install 2009 cars. Allready I'm hitting a wall.

Question 1. What is WIP? I assume it stands for a 'Work In Progress', but this doesn't appear to be stated anywhere. Additionally why would anyone want to race with a Work in Progress. I mean that with no offense to anyone who does. I assume the links to the WIP cars are there for a valid reason, I'm just curious.

Question 2. Are the cars listed for each team fictional, based on reality or a mixture of the two? It does not appear to be stated.

Question 3. How do you install cars? I hunted around the other threads as no specific instructions are given here and found the ultimate newbie thread. It mentions in there to look for the gp4form.txt in each download as each car can have different instructions.

I have downloaded half a dozen cars. None of these contain a gp4form.txt file.

Now I apology in advance if I've shown any ignorance whatsoever. I'm full of enthusiasm for what's achievable here and have done as best I can to follow the threads posted here. However allready at these early doors I've hit a few stumbling blocks and so I hope nobody minds if I ask some relatively straightforward questions in the hope of equally straightforward answers!

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the wisdom and indeed the patient to help me (and my fellow newbs) out.
i need help with installing 'team art' and 'grid cars' that i downloaded from this site. I have a modded version of GP4 that has the 2009 drivers and cars but in the driver selection menu the driver pics are missing... i'm facing the same problem with the car pics. Also, the cockpit graphics are generic with ferrari graphics. i downloaded the 2008 as well as the 2009 cockpit graphics but can't figure out how to install them.. it seems a little too complicated.
I would really appreciate some help!
Ask in the team-art release thread, if you haven't cross-posted already.

@switch625,
1. WIP is work in progress, if there's a link, it usually is a finished work.
2. Usually based on reality.
3. I think there is a thread in the FAQ on installing cars to a wad.
Keep an eye on your pm box.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Hey, a little background. i purchased GP4 when it was first released and was saddened by the lack of modding available. So i went back to GP3 and played that until i updated my computer. While getting excited about the new f1 game coming soon i discovered that gp4 had been 'hacked' and was now moddable like the others in the series. so i've installed it and now want to play the 2009 season (and others too).

My dificulty is, i followed the steps on page 1, i downloaded the official patch, used the decrypted gp4.exe file and installed gpxpatch too.

now i am already having problems, i havt used gpxpatch for a while but i vaugly remember it. When i loaded the game up, it loaded fine until i got to a race, at which point it crashed on me. so far i havnt been able to get any further and havnt been able to start making it 2009. any advice would be great

I also downloaded a torrent which was for gp4 2009, which was surprisingly the whole game, this time it allows me to get to the new tracks (even through gpx). My problem with this version is that from the moment the first light goes on it takes about 10 minutes before they all go off, and it takes about 5 minutes for all the cars to get to the first corner. after that they work ok(ish) but as you can imagine waiting 15minutes to do the first corner isnt ideal. I also have the problem where the cars are white (as stated above) except for renault, force india and (the 2008 design) williams.

the games are installed in different directories so if i can get either to work then that will be great.

all help would be appreciated
We don't support torrents sorry. I realise that you do have the original disc, however torrents are usually not ideal as you have now discovered. I suggest that you have a poke around the forum and dig up the link for the 2009 CSM Mod. I cannot say why it is lagging as you have not provided any system specs. Set gpx to high verbosity, when GP4 CTD's an error log is placed on the desktop. Upload the log to a file-share site, post a new topic, 'gpx error log' and provide us with system info, what you were doing and of course the d/l link so we can read the log.
Note this thread is for manual updating car by car to the wad.
There is also a thread on building a CSM 09 set using Tony's Empty CSM Mod.
But, and there's always a but, :-) if you're not familiar with CSM and modding GP4 I wouldn't even attempt it.
There are a couple of 09 CSM mods out there for download, I think gp4italia has one. Perhaps another member here will pm you with a link.
Download Zaz Tools (includes CSM) from gp4db.com. There is also useful info in the pinned GP4FAQ thread. Welcome to the forums. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
TIME! TIME! That's it for me too.....been at this for nearly a week now just trying to get GP4 2009 up, running and playable, there's just too many things going wrong for me, I'm spending all my time farting around with files and settings I've lost my passion to drive....I'm gonna wait for A full 2009 MOD too, Full ... Final and English.
This has been some fun ...but mostly a waste of time.
If you can, you should keep trying, because once you get it right, it will be easy to update anything for years to come :)

X (@ed24f1)
I know!!...I love this game's "sim" feel....nothing else I've tried comes close. I love the Idea of being able to edit every aspect of the game, but this one's too damn complicated for me, the car mesh or lod's seem to be mod dependant as do the textures, I thought I understood the folder structure , now this empty mod adds a whole new folder structure, as soon as i fix one thing another one breaks.....gahhhhhhhhhh! If there was a step by step instruction to get me started and give me some confidence it would be a better start ....I download a full mod to check out the folders and files...and they're totally different...or none existent.....sigh...maybe i'll just leave it for a week or two and try again.....bzzzt! bzzt! overload bzzzt! bzzzt! :o
Why not just do it the old fashioned way and not use CSM

Is so much easier

Way I've always done it

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
cos i'm a noob and CSM gave the impression it was the easiest way to go.........which i'm beginning to doubt......Mainly because if i modify any wads or use team editor, GP4 tweak etc.....CSM goes tits up.
I've sussed cars, cockpits, helmets etc but most stuff leaves me scratching my head at where to put the files using the CSM folder structure.
I downloaded 2009 tyres, but couldn't figure out where the correct folder was.......and ended up copying and pasting the folders from another 2009 mod into my "Empty" mod....it works ....but I'm not 100% sure why :/
Why design a Mod (CSM) that seems to be so incompatible with all the other utilities out there?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy