GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: January 04, 2006 10:24PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Hm..I deleted all texture names which were there more than one time but that didn't help.
Would you be so kind to have a look at it? It needn't be today. Atm I'm stuck, so I need a little help because I never had such bugs before.

I'll send you a pm.

Date: January 04, 2006 10:27PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
OK, I'll try and get a look at it, but it may require the original tex files (ie, before you added them to the wad) if the wad does need a complete rebuild
Date: January 04, 2006 10:29PM
Posted by: b-tone
Ruboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does that mean exactly? I don't understand to
> 100%
>
> Edit: I mean the issue with the multiple instances
> of the same texture.
>
>

wads can have 2 files with the same name, but if you open it with easywad it will tell you its broken,and ask if you want to repair it.
so if you can open the wad wiht easywad then its probably not that.

i guess you done 'addfromdat' with an older 3De?

____
Tony

Date: January 04, 2006 10:44PM
NO, I have never used that feature.

Edit: I'll continued that what you can see in the Istanbul thread. The screens (with the blue gravel) show my first test for corners 1 and 2. It worked (as you can see) and thus I applied this method on the entire track. But now something is wrong. The method itself was working pretty fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2006 10:46PM by Ruboy.
Date: January 04, 2006 10:45PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I saw the same kind of grey track render with latest Baptiste Track right yesterday (but in my case, game was crashing immediately and Windows XP too, forcing a reboot, even in windows mode !!).

Anyway, I fixed his track by deleting one of his scene (the one with track and pitlane objects coming from the .dat but also the one on which he added some custom objects he used group and detach feature a lot).
I think the matter comes from the detach/group feature that were enable in 16.4 and that in some way corrupted the track, so when I deleted his scene with these objects, it somehow cleans the track.

Thus I recreated the scene (tracks and pitlane objects were needed of course) and converted .dat to .gp4 objects again and it was OK.

I hope it could help.

Date: January 04, 2006 10:48PM
Hm..if you see my banks and verges you'll understand that I don't want to make them a second time:(

EDIT: @Zep: Check you PM's. If you need the old textures which have been replaced I'll send them to you later. Just tell me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2006 10:51PM by Ruboy.
Date: January 04, 2006 10:51PM
You could do it in ZM, it's much faster, and isn't that much hassle really.

You just have to select faces mode on the banks (you have to do one side at a time however) and then select Create > objects > detach and once you've done the first side (import one at a time as well) and invert face creation after import, apply textures and it's fine. It's what I did for the foetus, and I haven't had any problems yet
Date: January 04, 2006 10:53PM
I have almost done everything in ZM - you'll see it when you look at the banks:)
There were some wrong faces at the end which I thereafter detached in 3DEditor.
I still have my ZM files so it's not that grave. But mybe you'll find a solution.

Date: January 04, 2006 11:28PM
Good news:)
I have deleted all the new objects and reimported them without regrouping and detaching and now it is working fine:) Probably regrouping and detaching cause still troubles.

I think, that it's rather the regrouping which causes the bugs because I also detached faces for my Shanghai and Hockenheim updates and there were no problems. Besides I had some errors in 3DE when adding an object to another one.

@Zep: You need not look at the files - just if you are interested:) I will redo the importing and so on, but this won't take longer than 1 hour.
But perhaps you could tell me if and how it is possible in ZModeler to add the faces of object 2 to object 1, that means to make one object when having two of them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2006 11:30PM by Ruboy.
Date: January 04, 2006 11:31PM
Select both objects then: Create > objects > unite select :)
Date: January 04, 2006 11:39PM
Thanks, mate:)

Tomorrow you'll see great new screenshots:)

Date: January 04, 2006 11:50PM
No worries :)
Date: January 05, 2006 02:32PM
Posted by: Zjokke
I finally got some time again to do some trackeditting :p
Now I got a question :

When I go into a scene and select a face (ex. face 17)
the i go to edit -> detach face to -> new part
The face will be placed into a new part. But is it also possible tomove the following faces to the new part? (face 17 till face 1500??
Or do I have to do them all manually? (I hope not)

Is there a good tutorial for building the graphical part of a track?
Date: January 05, 2006 03:14PM
The detached face is being moved to the new part or part 1,2,.. ,the one you have chosen. Unfortunately you have to detach each single part on its own. I advise you not to load .tga files when detaching becuase then it takes much time. The .gp4 is rebuilt after each detach operation and it reloads all the .tgas. So just open only the .gp4 without textures and then do the detaching.

But you should be careful becuase detaching and especially regrouping is risky with the latest 3DEditor versions. For me detaching works fine, but when I also use the regroup feature I have crashes. You need to test it.
Try detaching but do NOT regroup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 03:17PM by Ruboy.
Date: January 05, 2006 05:40PM
Posted by: Lo2k
It would be safer to not use 3DEditor at all then because I can't guarantee that any feature is 100% safe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 05:43PM by Lo2k.
Date: January 05, 2006 06:38PM
Zjokke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a good tutorial for building the
> graphical part of a track?

One day. I'm working on a massive tutorial designed to give you as much information from start to finish on track projects. Only the .dat part is finished, (well mostly) but the next part won't be too big before I start the graphical section, which will easily take up 50 or so pages I imagine...

Date: January 05, 2006 06:44PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I think 3d editor is fine as long as you respect what it can do....i found that detaching faces now doesn't cause ctd......detach a dozen or so faces then save & compress wad..run gp4 & see if it runs ok...if you experience a ctd...i re - open 3d editor & make no changes press save .......exit & re compress wad...this works also with some newly imported objects that cause ctd.......

for me i would use 3deditor anyday & am thankfull for L02k's work. which is the reason i think this community is lucky to have such a tool available for making our own tracks for one of the best f1 games around ....gp4..........
Date: January 05, 2006 07:07PM
You're absolutely right Jim:)

Date: January 05, 2006 07:30PM
Posted by: Zjokke
Well I just used the detach option and I experienced no problems at all !!!
My track loads perfect in GP4 after using this option - Noly It's a lot of work going thru the entire track doing always the same thing over and over again.
Anyway the result looks fine !
Date: January 05, 2006 09:05PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
@zjokke take a look here...
there are no mysteries to the graphical part of the track...make your dat till your happy it's complete then start to think out the look for the track you want...be prepared for lot's of displacing/moving objects....
james m has done a good guide to the placing of land around the track....

i've made a little guide (little old now) but it gives the basics of getting objects into your track.......

[www.realgpx.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 09:08PM by jimbob1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy