GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: December 14, 2005 10:14PM
Posted by: Tumke
What does everybody mean with import track from .dat file?
What can you do with it? is it fysical or just a 3d object?
how do you make it ? and how do you map it? and why should you use it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2005 10:16PM by Tumke.
Date: December 14, 2005 10:57PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Sometimes, the banks start to disappear (I've no idea why) when you import track from .dat straight into the .gp4 with the included function. However, a good fix (has worked for me so far anyways) is to export > track to .3ds when you have just the .dat open. Everything is already mapped and it is the basic graphical composite of the track. You should delete what you don't need, for example, if the banks are the problem, only import those and delete everything else.

Make sure you don't import the .3ds into the track as this will create a 100+ part object which WILL crash the track. Import to ZM, then export as a .gp4
Date: December 15, 2005 01:38AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Some direct answers:
1-It means: transform the .dat physical track declaration into .gp4 physical objects (track tarmac, banks; kerbs, rails are objects).
2-Quickly create a physical track corresponding to a .dat track
3-the .dat is physical but its conversion is graphical so at the end you have both.
4-open .gp4 and .dat at the same time in 3ded, go to any scene, go to object level and hit the add button, choose "track from dat" or/and "pitlane from dat".
5-Mapping is automatically done, you just have to choose a texture to apply to each object.
6-To quickly create a custom track.

Hope it answers most of you queries :)

Date: December 15, 2005 05:52PM
Posted by: Ruboy
@trackmakers/Lo2k:

I need some help. I've been experimenting with the pitlane of a track by adding sectors at the exit and deleting sectors at the entrance.

Now the car is twitching quickly from the left to the right in the pitlane. I have created a new pitlane.bin and also adjusted the positions of the flags. I also recomputed track pitch, cc-cars pitch and cc-cars direction but it didn't help.

What is the reason for this? Do I have to pay attention to flags, or .bin files or maybe something else?

Date: December 15, 2005 06:00PM
Hmm, be sure to have all pitlane sectors equally distant, as in original files.
Try also to create smooth curves and avoid sectors suddenly at 90° (it's exagerated of course) of the past one.
Then recompute track pitch, cc-cars pitch and cc-cars dir.

Could you post a screen of your pitlane in wireframe or post the .dat in order we could check it more precisely ?

Date: December 15, 2005 06:08PM
I was just a quick test, so it isn't made very thoroughly.

I will do it again with more accuracy and then I'll check it again.

Date: December 15, 2005 06:32PM
Move the pitlane fences flag forward one sector and remove the old left/right fence flags. It's a common issue in new pitlanes, whether tweaked, or made from scratch
Date: December 15, 2005 08:55PM
My new shadows created with the multi-tasking fence creator, thanks Laurent! :)

Date: December 15, 2005 09:08PM
it looks nice :)

Date: December 15, 2005 10:45PM
@Zeppelin:
If you have some time, could you please explain how to make such shadows? Which texture do you use?

EDIT: Do you mean both Pit Lane Fence flags (beginning and end)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2005 10:56PM by Ruboy.
Date: December 15, 2005 10:57PM
Well basically, you just use the fence tool with a negative offset so it "spills" onto the track. Turn on the "show light rays" and you can see where shadows would be cast, so you can create and tweak your shadows until they match the light rays :) Then you don't have to give it SHADOW class, but just call it shadowxx and it will create a shadowy appearance if you apply any texture to it. What you want to look for though, are the shadowxx textures that are used in the original tracks. Don't use tree ones, because then you'll have trees everywhere, but look for the ones on the rails :)

-EDIT- Just move the pit lane fences end flag when you double click into a sector, and then the right / left fence flags when you first select a sector :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2005 12:38AM by zeppelin101.
Date: December 16, 2005 01:59PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
the best thing to do is to uncompress some of the other track wads & open up & see how the tracks are put together..you can learn a lot by doing this...shadows for trees-bridges-etc are just objects that can be displaced/moved to where you want....double click on the objects in the items tree to see what it's associated tex files are.....when you learn track editing you need to try & experiement with 3d editor a lot & see what does what.....the standard gp4 tracks will give you lot's of ideas about how to put together your track...
try to do things with 3d editor it's the best way to learn.....
Date: December 16, 2005 02:39PM
Posted by: patrickc
I've put a StartingLight editor on my newly created website ;)

- Edit starting light coordinates for all GP4 tracks.
- Option to restore default GP4 values.
- Import/export (multiple) tracks fo file.
- Only support for GP4 1.02 yet.

[home.wanadoo.nl]

Date: December 16, 2005 02:41PM
Patrick my friend, you're a genius :)
Date: December 16, 2005 02:42PM
Posted by: TTM
Yeah, I agree with what you (jimbob1) say about learning other track wads etc.
Date: December 16, 2005 02:49PM
yep.....we are lucky to have so many trackeditors here atm giving their time & help as well.....but dig into those tracks , lot's of stuff to learn from them..... don't forget there are guides around as well....

[www.realgpx.com]
Date: December 16, 2005 02:59PM
zepplin 101 i agree 100 % patrickc : you are a genius......
Date: December 16, 2005 03:21PM
Posted by: Auradrummer
Hello All,

I made some shadows for my track, but it has affected only the tracks, the cars aren't.
Date: December 16, 2005 03:33PM
hi ney..post some screenies....
Date: December 16, 2005 03:39PM
It affects cars on mine, have you named them shadowxx and not SHADOW_xx ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy