GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: October 12, 2008 05:06PM
Posted by: n00binio
the problems did return:

the dat is causes a ctd when i click on drive before switching to the wheather screen.

flags are all ok, cc-line consists only of the initial section but i should normally be able to drive around without bots. it´s based on the hungaroring dat. some time ago i read about kerbs in the pitlane of that track causing problems but i couldn´t find it again. help is appreciated.
Date: October 13, 2008 12:44PM
Posted by: Rot Teufel
Some news about Hockenheim 1991: i found the why i can't make the times of 1991 era... i forget to modify the chicane before the motordrome... :P lol

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

Date: October 13, 2008 04:49PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
;) that could be it!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 05, 2008 09:27PM
Posted by: plodekk
Rot Teufel:

Progess hockenheim 1991???

Thank you.

Track-Packs 1988-1991-1993-1994-1995-1997-1999
Date: November 12, 2008 07:42PM
Posted by: mrpbrown
I've just started using this tool and I have to say, thanks Lo2K for making such a nice piece of software! I've been extremely impressed.

My experiences so far have consisted of making a fictional track up as I go along. I've just finished the track (no scenery), and nothing's broken (or so it seemed at the time)! My only problem has been my own fault, and it's a problem of scale - I've made everything too small, so the straights are too short and the corners are too tight. I've also accidentally made a crest which has a tendency to cause cars to fly :)

I do have one absolutely amazing flat out (175mph) long double-apex right-hander though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to plan out corners of fantasy tracks to achieve the desired cornering speeds? Any kind of database of known corners with radii and track width? Or is it just a case of constant trial and error over the whole circuit - potentially very timeconsuming.

Edit: actually my pits aren't working for some reason. They just don't seem to be there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 10:33PM by mrpbrown.
Date: November 12, 2008 10:45PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Glad to hear you joined track makers :)

Concerning pits, they will work as soon as you will have created .col file (from .dat or .col).

Date: November 12, 2008 11:04PM
Posted by: mrpbrown
I did create .col from .dat... maybe I should try that again and see what happens. Your tool is very good, I just wish my track-design skills were up to scratch :)

Even now I have widened my track a bit, my hairpin is barely possible to get around with full lock...
Date: November 14, 2008 03:39PM
for now hockenheim is off, i lost interest in make it...

howewer i start to work for a hi-res hungaroring '91. For release i need Caelen permission 'cause it's build using his textures for the 03 version (howewer new grass and gravel upcoming).
All sponsor are done, need to add box's textures.
Howewer for now in game is weird, maybe not all textures have alpha channel (most probably).

Another 2 question:
- How i can have a darker tarmac?
- Once time here there was the Truck .gp4 and templates download... where i can found it now?

Date: November 14, 2008 04:36PM
Posted by: b-tone
For darker tarmac you can edit the resources/tarmacmap.tex file in the track wad, or maybe invert the .bin normals.
If its the tracks from our tracks I might have a template for it.
I haven't seen Caelen for years, but he was always good when it cam to permissions.

____
Tony

Date: November 15, 2008 01:24AM
Posted by: super__alonso
How do I create fences that are evenly spaced and not streched and having to go to each one and make them equal??
Date: November 15, 2008 03:10PM
b-tone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For darker tarmac you can edit the
> resources/tarmacmap.tex file in the track wad, or
> maybe invert the .bin normals.
> If its the tracks from our tracks I might have a
> template for it.
> I haven't seen Caelen for years, but he was always
> good when it cam to permissions.

edit the tarmacmap.tex and nothing... trying with bin.

for textures i try with new mine and Caelen's. Better the second ones... hoping if someone has a contact with Caelen.
And solved a lot of weird textures problems... and here another question (maybe stupid) : when i convert the tex files into tga with tex resiser i lose the alpha channel?

For Trucks there was here under misc/3d files and called "free objects for gp4" or somethng else. For now not necessary, howewer there was a set ready for tyres and a template. Don't know why i've deleted...

Date: November 18, 2008 09:34AM
Posted by: Ruboy
@Rot Teufel:
Three and a half years ago when I started making track updates and using hi-res textures I asked Caelen for permisson to use his textures and he said I could use them for any project I want without asking every time...it was enough to give credits...anway, he is not into GP4 anymore so that's logical.
At the beginning I mostly used his and Mini's textures, the later is started modifying them and since two years I create most of my textures from scratch or make big modifications to the old ones...so today almost all the hi-res tracks contain a mix of old hi-res textures, modified or completely new ones...and then also some textures from other authors are used (f.e. TTM) so that it's almost impossible to know which texture has been created by which person.

Btw, if you want you can use the textures from any track I have been working on the past years...I know that often the tarmac, gravel, border line, rails and fence textures are based on other authors work but most of them were made from scratch....so just take them if you want.

Date: November 18, 2008 11:12AM
Posted by: TTM
I use a lot of photos for making textures. Example guardrail, grass, gravel, kerb textures for my Monza trackupdate is made from photos. Which are taken from real Monza track.

It gives more unique feeling and atmosphere to tracks, if you don't use example same grass texture to every track.
Date: November 18, 2008 01:28PM
thanks for suggestion, i think it's time to open a thread.Need some tester, don't know if the bug are fault of my SV (ATI XPRESS 200M 128MB) or mine...

and for sure that i add in credits the other's work. Infact i got you permission for use a1 ring textures for hockenheim... can i use again the rail? it's equal to the original one (of real hungaroring of 1991, sorry)

really a good idea the scratch from real photos.

PS: made a quick search with google for hungaroring 1991, only two photos... :/
if you have something please pm me... add you in credits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 07:51PM by Rot Teufel.
Date: November 18, 2008 06:59PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Take anything you want...don't ask for each single texture. I prefer seeing new tracks with proper textures (than the old low-res ones) than my name in the credits :)

Date: November 22, 2008 03:56PM
i've got an 'Incorrect Verges Flag value' error message in the track flags list. any ideas what this is and how to fix it?

EDIT: worked it out now, the 'kerb feeling' wasn't selected for three sectors

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 02:19PM by SchueyFan.
Date: November 25, 2008 08:08AM
Posted by: drt01
Hey schueyfan ... In which track are you working? :)
Date: November 25, 2008 12:14PM
i am working on fuji at the moment.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 25, 2008 01:26PM
Posted by: drt01
That's nice mate
Good luck
Date: November 28, 2008 09:59AM
Posted by: SilverBlaze
Is it possible to create static track cameras?

HD SUZUKA - MENU ADDONS - ONBOARD CAMERAS - VIDS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy