GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: October 03, 2008 01:40AM
Posted by: pimpones1
thanks so much for the explanation Lo2k´s..
i wasnt talking about that weird bob´s track builder..but anyway..now i know we all have to keep enhancing our skiils for a great dat for singapore track.

3dsimed is an awesome tool , it allows us bring to gp4 with some z modeler help a bunch of news perspectives.

that´s it

thanks again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 06:03AM by pimpones1.
Date: October 03, 2008 12:51PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Turbo_lover : I'm glad to see that at least 1
> people is coming on my site from times to times
> :P
> New banking is no more banking the whole track
> around track center axis but using the lower edge
> as axis. Said another way, lowest edge of the
> track keep the same altitude than without banking
> while the track tarmac is raised following banking
> value.
> It's easier to see than to describe :) In one word
> : It's the perfect solution for oval tracks.

That looks great. I just wonder if it makes adjusting track banking easier in every situation...for oval for sure. Probably I will have to find out on my own :) But an option to choose between 'track center' and 'lower edge' as axis would be best, because using track center axis can be helpufl aswell.

Date: October 03, 2008 09:58PM
Posted by: Lo2k
But an option to choose between 'track center' and 'lower edge' as axis would be best
That's already the way I designed it. I never told it was replacing the old method, it's an alternative one.

Date: October 04, 2008 12:12PM
Posted by: Rot Teufel
EDIT: i change idea and i will restart the from 0 (or better from original) the .gp4 file. Not a lot to change or modify.

Soon some picks of bremenskurve, i hoping that this time i put it in the right position :-P

Howewer if the new textures don't work, i'm thinking to release (when i finish it) a beta with original gp4 textures.

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 09:01PM by Rot Teufel.
Date: October 04, 2008 03:07PM
Posted by: pimpones1
ROT Teufel.

As we can see you are using low res textures on this project.

The pit problem,( check the material name you applied on it and actually i always save it as a BRIDGE material and never got any problem with it) ( dunno if it solves YOUR bug)

The Grass around the track., when using non detailed textures( like grass or sand), the best ´´ look´´ result is apply World Mapping , and after it, you change UV mapping to the size you want.

Trees over Grand Stands. all you have to do is displace the trees to the right position.
Date: October 04, 2008 05:16PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Lo2k Wrote:
> But an option to choose between 'track center' and
> 'lower edge' as axis would be best
> That's already the way I designed it. I never told
> it was replacing the old method, it's an
> alternative one.

OK, I did not get it then ;) That's nice.

Date: October 04, 2008 05:37PM
Posted by: Prblanco
An idea I had about the Modify Sectors window... now we have Linear and Cosine interpolation, which replace the current values with the ones in the window. Could it have an option to ADD or MULTIPLY certain values? An example...

I have 5 sectors with the following heights:

0.225 0.285 0.345 0.395 0.455

If I can add an linear interpolation from 0 to 0.100:

0.225 0.310 0.395 0.470 0.555

Which would be different if I just interpolate linearly from 0.225 to 0.555...

0.225 0.308 0.390 0.473 0.555

This could be useful when we have the sectors characteristics more or less like what we want, but we still want to make small adjustments to a large range of sectors.

Multiply could be used for track/bank widths, for example.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Date: October 06, 2008 06:06PM
Posted by: n00binio
i have a big problem: i saved a .dat with gp4 builder 1.164, closed it and now i can´t reopen the file. i got an error when i tried to save. i closed the application and wanted to go back to an older version but i can´t open the file in the backup folder or the file i worked on. any ideas to rescue the dat? (i tried different versions of builder too)

edit: ok, i found a way to get it to work again, but: when i load the dat the pitlane looks totally screwed and everytime it looks screwed in a different way even without saving. it is the original hungary dat. some time ago i read about the kerbs in the pitlane causing problems but i couldn´t find the topic and i don´t know if it is related to that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 06:28PM by n00binio.
Date: October 06, 2008 07:36PM
Posted by: gildoorf
@Paulo:

I guess you´re mentioning those large banks for hairpin, isn´t it?

Date: October 06, 2008 10:09PM
@n00binio : that's a weird story...and I never heard about such troubles before. Could you send me your .dat in order I could give it a sight ? Anyway, if it has been broken, I doubt I could do anything to repair it.

Date: October 06, 2008 10:28PM
thanks for your help, i´ll have one more try just to double check, if i can´t get it to work i´ll send it. at least the track itself is working (correct in gp4 builder), it´s something with the pitlane...
Date: October 06, 2008 11:02PM
what wonder me the most is why either the backup or the file can't be opened anymore...

Date: October 07, 2008 12:21AM
interesting thing is, the saved file and the backup file have the same time when they were changed for the last time. and that is exactly the time when i hit save and got an error. i wonder why it actually saved the file. in addition i couldn´t open the file by starting gp4builder and select it. i had to open something different to get gp4builder running, then i went to file-> open and selected the file. then something strange happened: the track was opened but with the original hungaroring pitlane (remember: it was the hungaroring dat) and not my modified pitlane. the first two pitlane sectors were displaced and rotated in a "interesting" way. even more interesting is that the file i used to get builder running was the hungaroring dat. i have no clue what happened there.

edit: i was a bit blind. i deleted the pitlane and realized that for some reason all commands of the first two pitlane sectors have been deleted (it wasn´t me). that caused the strange rotation. i tried to add some sectors and got that:

(i only post it because it looks funny)

edit2: i deleted all sectors except 1 & 2 and added all necessary commands. they behave as they should. i´ll build another pitlane and hope for the best. lo2k, if you want any of the dats that were created in the process for investigation i´ll send them.

edit3: in some older versions of gp4builder you could create a useless/empty command when adding a bank description with one box being empty (not 0). i had this problem with the latest builder version when building the pitlane that caused the whole story. i didn´t realize that this bug could even occur with all boxes filled. i deleted the useless commands, tried again with the same values and the command worked.

edit4: i could recreate the way from a crashing dat to loading a dat with corrupt pitlane sectors. when opening the broken dat from a running gp4builder an error box appears. ahhh, i´ll send you the stuff...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 01:34AM by n00binio.
Date: October 07, 2008 08:03PM
I have a huge pain to follow most of the testing process but for edit3, I checked in latest GP4Builder revision and you can't get any trouble by leaving any command box without value.

Date: October 07, 2008 08:36PM
Lo2k schrieb:
> I have a huge pain to follow most of the testing
> process

is it difficult to understand what i did? cause rereading my post i´m not sure if i would get it either.

> but for edit3, I checked in latest
> GP4Builder revision and you can't get any trouble
> by leaving any command box without value.

i thought so too but i got the same error as in earlier versions
Date: October 07, 2008 10:53PM
what box are you leaving without value ?

Date: October 08, 2008 12:55AM
none, there were zeros everywhere. that´s the point. i have no clue in what way this could create these senseless commands. i couldn´t recreate the error.
Date: October 09, 2008 09:30PM
Posted by: Rot Teufel
When i take the decision of re-do the Gp4 things are gone be better, now the shadows are better, still some bugs of hidden objects, but less that before.

In this case for loading optimization the faces creations (more faces) helps?

PS: pics soon.

My workthread with all RELEASED and WIP stuff

Date: October 11, 2008 06:58PM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
How do I have a image to come up in GP4 Builder so I can follow the track in the image?

EDIT1- - Also how can get it so the first three sectors move around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2008 07:21PM by mclarenaustralia.
Date: October 11, 2008 09:12PM
1. get a map, it needs to be a tga and quadratic. dimensions need to 512x512 or 1024x1024 ... ( 2^<number> ). load the dat together with the .gp4. create a quadratic object and put the map on it. scale it to get the real dimension

2. use the displace and rotate function (next to fix cam button)

edit:

@lo2k: all problems i mentioned seem to be fixed. hopefully they won´t return

@pimpones1: if you´re reading that: that new .dat nearly made me go crazy but i think you´ll have it by tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2008 09:15PM by n00binio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy