*****GP4 Track editing*****

Posted by Eugenio Faria 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: January 31, 2005 04:49PM
Posted by: Alesi_fan
@ xero/

Great progress :)

I was looking for some satelite image or picture taken from an aircraft.
I did find some picture taken from an aircraft in my country, and find some race track, but that was at the surveying (site) in my country.
Maybe you can find something to use on a german site simular to the one I find. I dont know the name for it in german.
There is a site, named terraserver (somthing) where my friend get a lot of satelite picture of USA
and train track when he build a landscape for a train sim.

Maybe you can have some use of this link: [sirius.spotimage.fr]

here is another: [imageatlas.globexplorer.com]

U/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2005 05:16PM by Alesi_fan.
Date: January 31, 2005 06:57PM
Posted by: kimirgj
i dont know whether this will help Xero but i think it gives a good idea of the width of the new layout

[members.home.nl]
Date: January 31, 2005 09:46PM
Posted by: Xero
Thanks kimigj, i've seen that picture before. It's actually very inaccurate though. Cheers anyway!
Date: February 01, 2005 05:27PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
whaa, crappy editting, made a "new" ovallike circuit on monza, well thats what i wanted, just for fun, well i totaly screwed up, made a mess, but it still works ingame. now i took the hungaroring and made a very neat and tidy round track. looks great, but that one doesn't load. :{ and i dont know why not. anybody with any idea: (lo2k :+, or xero maybe) [maverick.dynasoft.nl]
i'll just begin again from scratch. Btw lo2k, any updates? :)

hm, litle update, had the cars really driving in circles and taking all corners (although in the last one (of 2 :+) they did go off alot, but thats fixable, now i had a little bend in one section, wich i thought caused it, but when i corrected it i deleted a sector on wich the pitlane begun, i replaced the sector but it wouldn't matter, it crashed, (start all over, cause forgot to backup, stupid, stupid)
I'm now wondering, as all ccline went really great, no misformations, and the cars followed it like rabits, but after that little bend in the sections it screwed up, as i saw a little bend in the line after the first intersecion after the trackbend. now i know of the ccdirection when starting a ccline, but i THINK (just my suspicions) that its more than that. i think EVERY section must properly interact with the one in front and behind. now i dont know how, as i see some of the original tracks dont have the things described by xero before (if one is 5 other 15 the one in between should ne 10) so i'm thinking it's somewhat more comlicated than that, but dont know HOW complicated... maybe xero can back me up on this one as i know he's had some experience too.

ty for your time :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2005 06:03PM by <Maverick>.
Date: February 01, 2005 06:44PM
Posted by: kimirgj
thanks sounds good maverick, are you saying the you have edited the layout of the hungaroring, with the new 1st turn?

Xero, does your nurburgring run ingame with the computer cars???
Date: February 01, 2005 06:57PM
no, i just made it round. ill post a screenshot for you to see, making the whole track is possible but at this time not worth the effort imho. I'm very sloppy, so i have to start over several times, so i'm just making a simple track, just for seeing what i can do.
Yes it runs ingame, with computercars, not perfect yet though.

litle shot for info:

edit For Lo2k, opened track, deleted section where the pitlane started, readded it -> game crashes. dont know why that is.

Ok, here's my problem.

I have them folowing the ccline, but as soon as they come acros this yellow line they go left-right-left-right as i mentioned somwhere before. BUT when i delete that sector as it is now, the dat doesn't load because of the pitlane starting there, in some way that particilair sector and the start of the pitlane are intefering with eachoter, i cant just place a new sector there. what do i do now?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2005 07:25PM by <Maverick>.
Date: February 01, 2005 07:47PM
well new post.
I seem to have solved the problem, and although my ccline is far from perfect and there are some other issues i was able to have an 8lap race with only 2 cc's retiring, and one was because of a mechanical failure. :)
Still they dont take the corners really fast, but i think that is due to how i modeled the ccline tru the bends, it can be improved, if i dont get fed up or bored i think i'll be trying to make this 100% working, fysical and grafical.

EDIT well, seems my suspicion was somewhat right, i changed the CC direction of some sectors, and this had a mayor impact on the behavior of the cars, it was more smooth, AND the ccline display also was improved alot, so as xero pointed out earlier, ccdirection is VERY important in cc line.

(is everybody out doing something execpt me? :+ )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2005 08:47PM by <Maverick>.
Date: February 01, 2005 08:47PM
@kimirgj: I had it semi-working before I restarted. I'm not sure how familiar you are with trackediting, but there's different layers than need changed. I'm working on the visual layer atm, so the cars currently follow the default line. I'm going to start on the physical layer when im 100% happy with my visuals! The last think I want to do is go back and make changes etc.

@Maverick: nice idea with the oval! A good way to test the editor.
Date: February 01, 2005 09:49PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep you have forgotten track sector's cc-cars
> orientation (in sector's properties)
> But beware, I made a feature to auto fix them and
> it also change cc-line, so you should modify them
> manually for now and see what you can get

Post from a pretty while ago, i asume by orientation you mean direction, i THINK autofixeing that would really help a big deal, i just editted a few of those, and it had a great impact (in a positive way) but i dont know what good values for the variable are, so i cant really fix it manually, is setting them ALL to 0 an option? Or does that not fix anything at all?

Date: February 01, 2005 11:27PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Ppppheeeww, you did a hard work today Dave, are you in hollidays ? ;)

Well, I was about to remind you that quote too, but you finally got it :)
No, putting every cc-cars direction (sorry I thought I used orientation in 3Ded) to 0 will only give you starnge behaviours, in fact, I think cars will run right ahead all the track (without steering).

As I said, I did an automatic feature as I told that was fixing both pitch and direction for all sectors of a track but then cc-line looked completely wrong so I finally removed it.

But this should be tested further and I will maybe add it as a separate feature to test its effect.

I also got your dat file and I will see if I can see what was wrong (but maybe did you found it already :))

Date: February 01, 2005 11:33PM
ok. nice to hear you got back from work/school finally :+
holidays yes, dont you just hate them, everybody's at work/school, so i thought lets make something :)

I found the problem with the dat, as i described above the sectione where the pitlane starts is the problem, only thing is, i dont know WHY.

I know have the track working pretty nively, working at the gfx atm, only thing is the cars as swinging after the section where i've cut in, it decreased dramaticly when i changed the ccdirection, so i think i can make it go away completely when i get them all correct, but the problem is, i dont know what a correct value is.
(btw, dont forget to pick up all my posts, i made alot, dont mis em :+ ;) )

Date: February 02, 2005 12:05AM
hehe, I think I read them all ;)

I guess, pitlane start and pitlane end commands must exist in any track to point first pit sector and last one respectively.

Foor values, it's a simple cross product but I don't remind it by heart now...

Date: February 02, 2005 12:10AM
ah now i see, lets try to make this track a bit smoother then.
hm, well, i can remove and readd that section now, but doesn't seem to help me alot, so looking forward to the direction posibilities :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2005 12:16AM by <Maverick>.
Date: February 02, 2005 11:00AM
Posted by: tobeast
I am working on Indianapolis Oval so far. Hope to send some screens this afternoon
Date: February 02, 2005 11:19AM
Dave (or anyone who uses 3DEd), can you confirm me if save popup window have french button labels on your computer ?

Date: February 02, 2005 11:37AM
Lo2k Wrote:
> Dave (or anyone who uses 3DEd), can you confirm me
> if save popup window have french button labels on
> your computer ?
>

oui, il sont francias

Date: February 02, 2005 02:17PM
Posted by: Duffer
Me too.

--------------------------------------------

Date: February 02, 2005 02:17PM
are you french too? Or are the labels french? :)
edit; ah, you're french :+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2005 02:19PM by <Maverick>.
Date: February 02, 2005 04:41PM
My labels are in French too... someone mentioned it in this thread after you released it... im too lazy to go find it! ;)
Date: February 02, 2005 04:51PM
Posted by: Duffer
<Maverick> a écrit:
> are you french too? Or are the labels french?
> edit; ah, you're french :+

Yes i'am french :)

--------------------------------------------

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy