*****GP4 Track editing*****

Posted by Eugenio Faria 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: January 25, 2005 09:38PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
hey l02k you have made great progress in 3DEditor 11.4 and it is great to see but may i ask does the "Import Object" fuction allow you to import another .gp4 object into the scene??
if so is it possible this feature could be added??

anyway great work so far and i also have the problem of "adding" a camera
Date: January 25, 2005 10:59PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Mini Maestro: hey! How do you think I imported Ferrari car in Monza Track ?

Date: January 25, 2005 11:08PM
Posted by: <Maverick>
i have a question.

This is how i havfe mona now:

Everything nice and smooth, but STILL the cars (wich without an obvious reason FOR ME, are standing with their noses pointed to teh stands on the grid, why can that be?) crash because they start swirling around at the point the grass used to be. How come? Is there something i forgot? (in the red square, thats the Bin file.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2005 11:09PM by <Maverick>.
Date: January 25, 2005 11:28PM
Yep you have forgotten track sector's cc-cars orientation :) (in sector's properties)
But beware, I made a feature to auto fix them and it also change cc-line, so you should modify them manually for now and see what you can get :)

Date: January 25, 2005 11:51PM
ah, works nice, although i cant find this feature you're talking about, wouldn't matter for the ccline though, i deleted it, not so smart, as the add button doesn't work :+ i'll import it form a backup to try and go further on this track.

EDIT: hm, anyone care to share his monza ccline? Seem to have lost my backups in a format some time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2005 11:52PM by <Maverick>.
Date: January 26, 2005 12:07AM
Lo2k, i was just wondering about something, when rotating objects, i can only turn then around an Vertical Axis.
I cant do this:

Tilt it, or, let the left of right side of the track go up/down, is that something that is hard for you to implement? Or was it just forgotten, and never mentioned? :) (untill now ;) )

Date: January 26, 2005 10:21AM
One axis rotation is a well and long time known 3deditor limitation.
I wished to add a second axis rotation but I fear axis will be along world X axis and not a local object-oriented axis as you did on your sketch...

Date: January 26, 2005 10:50AM
hm ok, i see :)

Some things i ran in to yesterday; I now have monza as you see 2 posts above, gerenerated the bin, now the track seems to shine more when looking into "the sun" it's allmost perfectly white. also, on some parts of the track i can look between the track and the verge, were i could not do this in the old bin. the gap is only very very small, but it is there. dont know if it CAN be fixed, just telling you in case you didn't know.
Now an other thing, also on this monza, when i am on the grid, the gridtracksector is not visually there, but when i do a lap, and come back there it is. then, when i do a replay form that point it's missing, but if i do a replay starting from the back straight, where there is tarmac, it does show the tarmac on the grid when i get there. i think it is a bin issue, but not 100% certain.

hope you like the feedback.

Date: January 26, 2005 12:14PM
Yes, I also saw that tarmac reflexion was slightly changed but I don't know why yet.
There are small gaps for 2 reasons:
- bank value used in 3DEditor is an approximation (I changed it to a better value in new version)
- .bin files created from .dat files do not have sub-sectors refinement as original ones because I havn't found any .dat flag to know which and how sectors are subidivided.

Hmm, I never heard nor saw this gridline bug, I will have a look...

Yep, of course , any feedback is welcome to be able to improve 3DEditor :)

Date: January 26, 2005 02:09PM
Posted by: Gabe_Logan
congratulations guys for your work!
Date: January 26, 2005 02:32PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
yeah id just like to say thank you for developing the tool lo2k and to all that are working on tracks a sincere thankyou for all the help you are giving lo2k and all the work you are putting in. Thankyou

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: January 26, 2005 07:35PM
Lo2k Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I also saw that tarmac reflexion was slightly
> changed but I don't know why yet.
> There are small gaps for 2 reasons:
> - bank value used in 3DEditor is an approximation
> (I changed it to a better value in new version)
> - .bin files created from .dat files do not have
> sub-sectors refinement as original ones because I
> havn't found any .dat flag to know which and how
> sectors are subidivided.

ok.

>
> Hmm, I never heard nor saw this gridline bug, I
> will have a look...

I just generated a bin on an unedited track, works fine, nog Gap on the grid, so for now it seems i screwed up in an other area, i'll redo monza to see where the problem kicks in...

Date: January 26, 2005 07:55PM
You maybe deleted sector having command for grid jip mapping ! (it's not always sector where appears the jip).

Date: January 26, 2005 08:34PM
well, i replaced the DAT and BIN. solved nothing for the disappearing grid so i guess i screwed up in my gp4 file, i allways have trouble not screwing up when i'm moving around trackparts :)

Date: January 26, 2005 10:19PM
Posted by: Xero
I had that grid problem too when generating a bin from my modifed .gp4 layout. It messed up the rest of the track too.

I redid the first section of the Nurburgring, and this is what happened to the rest of the circuit.

Must the track sections in the .gp4 be a certain length? I renamed track07 -> track17 by adding old at the end, imported my track section as track07, then bunched the rest up... for example, renamed track18 to track08, track19 to track09 etc.
Date: January 26, 2005 10:35PM
@Gabe_Logan and SpaceAge: Thank you :)

@Xero: I wrote it in the user guide : creating .bin file from .gp4 file messes up mapping completely and some sectors can even disapear (like in your shot).

Date: January 26, 2005 10:57PM
Xero Wrote:
> I had that grid problem too when generating a bin
> from my modifed .gp4 layout. It messed up the rest
> of the track too.
>
> I redid the first section of the Nurburgring, and
> this is what happened to the rest of the circuit.

Why not generate bin from dat? that works pretty nice here.

Date: January 26, 2005 11:20PM
Posted by: Xero
@Xero: I wrote it in the user guide : creating .bin file from .gp4 file messes up mapping completely and some sectors can even disapear (like in your shot).

I do apologise! :) I did actually read the updated manual, but must have skipped past that without taking it in.

Why not generate bin from dat? that works pretty nice here.

I think the best way to go about updating a track is to start with the .gp4. It's much much easier to modify the .bin to match the .gp4 than it is the other way around!
Date: January 26, 2005 11:28PM
Xero Wrote:
> I think the best way to go about updating a track
> is to start with the .gp4. It's much much easier
> to modify the .bin to match the .gp4 than it is
> the other way around!

Serious? hm, i allways start with DAT. if that works i can worrie about the gfx, those are the least of my concerns. BIN is actually not an issue, generating one works very nicely, and will get better the next version is see :) Col is after dat, but as you can see on my screens i dont pay much attention to them at this time, i REALLY HATE to adit those damn things, hope lo2k can come up with some nice way to edit them (a user friendly one :P ) Hope next version comes out soon, i'm having a few weeks off, so plenty time to waste on the computer :)

i'm having some problems rebuilding the ccline now, i'm using v11 because of the ADD button, so i dont know if it should be different allready, but somethimes i really dont know how to fix it, in some way there's something positive as the cars seem to "exactly" (not really tot the cm but u know what i mean) but i cant model it, i can insert some values as i like, but it seems there is some kind of "virtual magnet" in the track wich pulls the bends towards an invissible line, even if it's a totaly new cc section. but this is problably the thing of tracksections influencing ccline, but i thought i would just mention it anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2005 11:42PM by <Maverick>.
Date: January 27, 2005 04:05PM
Posted by: kimirgj
wow, things look really good on the track editing

xero, that is really good, do u think that u will be able to fix the problem???
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy