*****GP4 Track editing*****

Posted by Eugenio Faria 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: January 11, 2005 05:40PM
Posted by: six degrees
my guess is he'll have stretched a lot of sectors on the second straight, just by enough to make the new part of the track :)
Date: January 11, 2005 06:37PM
Posted by: Xero
Yes, I stretched them... also a nightmare to do! :)

Keep in mind this is a very rough shape... the Veedol chicane at the end of the lap needs reworked a good bit for example. I just hope I can solve this new ccline problem!
Date: January 11, 2005 09:11PM
Posted by: vesuvius
WOW!!! Amazing work Xero.Hopefully you will solve ccline problem.
Date: January 11, 2005 09:35PM
Posted by: harjinator
keep going mate...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: January 12, 2005 02:06AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Great strides you guys are taking with this ! :)
Date: January 12, 2005 01:35PM
Posted by: tobeast
oh i thaught it's not possible to "stetch" sectors. The lenght of one track section is 4,788 meters (or other), so how can you make this longer?
Date: January 12, 2005 03:34PM
It's possible to stretch sectors with the mouse to about 400%... it crashes after that. Each sector contains a value with respect to length which can't be changed as you said... it's rather confusing tbh!
Date: January 12, 2005 06:43PM
Posted by: tobeast
Now I've learned something new ;)
Date: January 12, 2005 07:18PM
Posted by: Lo2k
I got my hands in code today and along dynamic cc-line update when you're editing a track sector, I also added track sector add feature.
Good news is that it can be done in a button click and work in game.
Bad one is that the extra(s) sectors have a great influence on cc-line after it...(Don't know exactly why yet...)

Date: January 12, 2005 07:32PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Sounds promesing , great work once again Lo2k !!!!
Date: January 12, 2005 08:35PM
Posted by: kimirgj
this is really good work people, this is certainly a big step forward 4 track editing. just a question. once the track layout and cc-line is complete, which i can tell is not easy, will the graphical part of the new layout be hard to edit?
Date: January 12, 2005 10:05PM
@Vesuvius: thanks :)

@Kimirgj: it depends on what you want to update. You can see some new stands made by Erwin on page 11 of this thread. They are a good example of new objects created in ZM and imported in 3DEditor.

Date: January 13, 2005 12:53PM
Posted by: Alesi_fan
@ Xero/

I dont know how much picture and drawing you allready have of Nurburgring, but here is some to look at and compare.
Hope it will help a little when you edit the track layout. Looking foward for this track editing possibility.
Great job you done so far.

U/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2005 07:06PM by Alesi_fan.
Date: January 13, 2005 02:13PM
Thanks for the pictures Alesi_fan. Those are the same ones im using atm. That overhead photo will be very useful though!

Bad one is that the extra(s) sectors have a great influence on cc-line after it...(Don't know exactly why yet...)

I thought that was obvious!? CC-line sections use a count of track sectors in which it covers. Adding one in the middle would push the rest ahead one place and mess up the cc-line. What you would need to do is find out what ccline section the newly added track sector covers, then add 1 to it's length. This may still mess up the cc-line due to "overshooting" the curve, but will be far easier to fix than the rest of the ccline. I hope I make sense!?

Great news though! Dynamic cc-line update is most welcome! :) Do you have it working perfectly? Also, do you plan on holding the release back for more new features, or can we expect one soon? ;)

Edit:
I forgot to say... when adding a new cc-line section I always get one of those double curves. Is it possible to choose a single one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2005 02:17PM by Xero.
Date: January 13, 2005 02:51PM
Hehe, Xero, do you really think that when I said adding a sector have a great influence, I hadn't fixed the extra length in the cc-line segment ? :P
Well, I should have tell I did it anyhow :) because I did and even with that compensation, cc-line is deviated slightly (even in straight line).

About new features, next version (That I might release before the end of the week I think) will afford:
- .bin generation (even if both ways have troubles)
- add/delete pit and track sectors
- ccline export/import
- many other fixes / little changes

All the features above are yet functionnal but I will try to add new additionnal features before the release.

Date: January 13, 2005 04:01PM
Posted by: Alesi_fan
@ Xero/

I guess you will take a closer look at these corner later, when you figure out how to make it work.
Anyhow, I just think it should look a little bit more like this, but its hard to tell from this angle.

U/

Date: January 13, 2005 06:03PM
Hehe, Xero, do you really think that when I said adding a sector have a great influence, I hadn't fixed the extra length in the cc-line segment

Lol, I apologise. I didn't intend to insult your intelligence in any way! ;) Perhaps it has something to do with one of unknown values. Last time I was testing the tool I came across a strange ccline problem at the new section at turn 1. I'll go back and have a look tonight and report back what I find, if anything.

@Alesi_fan: as I said, the layout is far from perfect. I was just trying to get a rough shape as it's easier to tweak later than get it perfect from the start.

@Lo2k: I remember you saying that it's already possible to put a picture in the background as a guide to building a layout. How is this done?
Date: January 13, 2005 06:28PM
Xero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> @Lo2k: I remember you saying that it's already
> possible to put a picture in the background as a
> guide to building a layout. How is this done?

the "easiest" way is to map a layout onto a flat 2 poly square in zm then import it into 3ded and scale/move it to fit

Date: January 13, 2005 08:21PM
The easiest way is surely to create a new flat 2 faces object in 3DEditor and apply it any texture :)

Date: January 13, 2005 08:31PM
or that :p
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy