Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Pssst: [www.grandprixgames.org]

;-)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Thank you very much Atticus and Davide! Another fantastic track and a great work on the 3D environement!

Congrats! :-)(Y)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Turbo Lover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pssst:
> [www.grandprixgames.org]
> 0886
>
> ;-)

Ah, thanks. I'm sorry, I simply forgot to use the search function... : P

On the other hand, he last logged in in 2007, so I think I will never get that permission. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 12:37AM by Atticus..
Monza and Hockenheim update Video now on post #5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 07:20AM by hasbriale.
Updated cams for Hockenheimring '68: [www.crocko.com]

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Richard J Wrote:
> Dirt01, how about applying your fantastic talents
> to updating Atticus Watkins Glen?

Good idea, actually i've planned glen but the modern track ;)

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
First post updated with the Rouen beta release, that is the most important.

Next up: Spa in 1979. Few knows that the initial incarnation of the 7km short course differed significantly from the pre-2002 version (the year when the track was closed from public permanently).

- The Bus Stop chicane was not there. It was installed in 1980. So you run down to La Source flat out, with La Source presenting an ideal overtaking opportunity.
- The new start/finish straight was only created for the 1983 Formula 1 event, so in 1979 you were still situated on the heavy downhill facing Eau Rouge as the first corner before the lights went out. The old start/finish straight is not much of a change - you face the heavy braking zone of La Source at the end of the lap with the pressure of a so-far-good lap piling upon you more, that's all.
- Most significantly, Eau Rouge was initially retained in its original more sweeping, less straight form. It was only straightened for 1983 as well. The old version serving from 1939 to 1983 is more of a challenge with 2001 downforce levels as it is not flat out. You have to break for the right-hander and follow a precise line through to break minimally and still keep the car on the road before the final left-hander. It is of utmost importance as the uphill Kemmel straight follows, so you could screw your entire lap, if you get it wrong.
- The outside of La Source was asphalted permanently in 1991. Until then it was an early asphalt run-off, with kerbs between it and the track. The run-off itself was only created in 1983, so in 1979 La Source was a lot tighter.
- In 1996, the new start/finish straight was 'put off' a bit, farther from the new pits to make more room for the team trucks. This made the radius of La Source even larger, easing the brake zone and making the turn easier. I restored the original shape.

Minor, but important details.

And now on for future announcements:

[img696.imageshack.us]

Who figures out, which track is this? Yes, it's the grand daddy of American road courses, Riverside!

I recently watched the Mid-Ohio IndyCar race and realized that Mid-Ohio is actually a very good track with a mix of quick sweepers, slow hairpins and some zig-zag, most of which are off-camber and blind. I then proceed to discover the best US road courses by reading this article: [www.caranddriver.com]. The Glen, Laguna Seca and Road America are already made, I can't be thankful enough for the latter two, they are amazing, especially Road America, although I like the Laguna Seca layout more. It flows more and of course there is the Corkscrew, one of the most challenging corners a race track will ever bear. I decided to include Road Atlanta (without the chicane) and Sears Point (Sonoma/Infineon Raceway) on my upcoming list. I left out the VIR, I don't like it somehow. Mid-Ohio was badly missing from the article, according to the comments below it, and I saw why. I will do it as well. Rumors were that the great and mystic Riverside, which was transformed into a mall in 1989, was the place where all this started and it was an excellent course, so I included that one as well. The last notable name I came across on the web was Lime Rock, so it will join the pack as well.

I began with Riverside as you see. However, unlike the track being published nowadays (Rouen, Brands, Spa, etc.), these are not yet done, so it might take a lot of time to finish them. But I'm extremely motivated, more than my time allows me to be.

See you soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 01:05PM by Atticus..
Fantastic work again. (Y)

It's a disgrace that they tore down all the buildings in 1999 at Rouen. :-(

My Grand Prix 4 Files

Turbo Lover Wrote:
> Fantastic work again. (Y)
>
> It's a disgrace that they tore down all the
> buildings in 1999 at Rouen. :-(

It is, but I'm going to visit the still standing Reims pits in a few days, and maybe I will fall in love with the track. We all know what will happen after that... ;)

Personally, I rate Rouen higher at the moment.
Oh, and a few more words on the accuracy and credibility of Riverside.

The track was sold in 1983 to a businessman, who managed to close it down by 1989 and by 1990 95% of the track literally disappeared. Nothing remains of it today after around 2002 the last bits were demolished (around Turn 9).

Still, I gathered an unscaled map of the area from the time when Turn 9 was visible, got a large-sized accurate layout with painful research and some luck, and layered one on the other using Turn 9 as a reference point. At the same time I screened the former track property on Google Maps, then layered the unscaled map+layout combination on the Gmaps photo using the highways as references, fiddled with the scales a bit and voilá. The length of the track is only 20-30 meters short of the real track. I used extensive photo and video footage once again to nail certain corners, which appear unrealistic on the large-sized layout. (Turn 2 and Turn 6 notably.)

So don't worry, despite literally no visible evidence of the track nowadays, the layout will be 99% accurate as always. :-)
thanks again :)

Anyone working on the original Montreal circuit with the windy section instead of the long straight nowadays

It came to my mind, I'd rather made the current back parts one long straight (there is a coast road to where Heidfeld slammed last year connecting the current Turn 3 and Turn 7) and leave the sweepers intact. They were cool although nowadays they would be flat out easily.

But in short, no, I don't plan to do it. :/
fongu Wrote:
> thanks again :)
>
> Anyone working on the original Montreal circuit
> with the windy section instead of the long
> straight nowadays

.......... Kev, Jorge and I are doing the initial version of montreal, @ atticus, me and JC, we have done Rouen dat, already for some time.......... (Y)

.....ALL MY WORKS --> CLICK BELOW .....

.....WORKING on the works that give me passion.........
I think who created Imola 1991 is jimbob.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Atticus. Wrote:
> It came to my mind, I'd rather made the current
> back parts one long straight (there is a coast
> road to where Heidfeld slammed last year
> connecting the current Turn 3 and Turn 7) and
> leave the sweepers intact. They were cool although
> nowadays they would be flat out easily.
>
> But in short, no, I don't plan to do it. :/

i've always fancied a version of montreal using the "coastal road", missing out the sweeping bends.
Rouen, another classic circuit. Now we need Drt01 to put the finishing touches to this great circuit.

Richard J
I haven't spoke to him on the matter, but he said adjusting Monza and Hockenheim is relatively easy, because of their original versions already made. I think Rouen and the other tracks are a different - and more difficult - story altogether, so I doubt he would do it right now. He did note he would like to do the Glen NASCAR Course though.
Atticus. Wrote:
> I haven't spoke to him on the matter, but he said
> adjusting Monza and Hockenheim is relatively easy,
> because of their original versions already made. I
> think Rouen and the other tracks are a different -
> and more difficult - story altogether, so I doubt
> he would do it right now. He did note he would
> like to do the Glen NASCAR Course though.

You're right, i did the dat of glen nascar layout in these days and now i've started the 3D layout, but it could take "a bit" to complete it, cause i've started from zero compared to monza and hock.

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
I have had a breakup for good in a relationship rather strange.. Still reeling.. Of course..:(

Thanks Atticus.. This Rouen circuit should put me
Back on track...
I'm sorry to hear that mate. Just try to sort it out to leave no sour taste in the end.

A Rouen video would be appreciated as usual. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy