Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
Oh yes, today's CASIO-chicane is only a shadow of it's former self. The old one was great, even because its high cerbs you had to cut to be fast.
But it's the same at 130R. After the layout was modifyed and the runoffs became bigger and tarmac, it wasn't that great that it was before... :(.
Suzuka Video Preview now at: Post #5
Date: October 01, 2012 07:56PM
Posted by: hasbriale
Suzuka (1982 Beta) - Video Preview- Post #5 (H)
@klausfeldmann: Yes, though only subtly different, I think I heard nobody who claimed the new 130R is better.

I think, in an F1 car, where both configuration is flat-out a long time ago, it is mainly because the old one had a nasty bump, right at the turn-in point, which always unsettled the car. That's what I heard. It was generally very bumpy. Nowadays, you just turn in on a glass-smooth surface (well, comparatively, we can still see the wooden plate bottoming out) and that's it.

@hasbriale: Thank you very much once again. :-)
And yet again more high quality much appreciated work from the legend that is Atticus!!!!!
Just want to confirm that you actually can make this...

...jump (well, similar) over the top of the Mountain at Cadwell Park with an F1 car in GP4 as well.

[imageshack.us]
Sorry guys, just spotted a major issue at Monza.

You could not actually enter the pits up to now due to a misplaced Pit Lane Fences Begin pit lane flag.

It is fixed now.

The reason I did not spotted it before was that I tend to run 40-50% race distances to avoid pit stops and so far, I never needed one at Monza since the wide front straight update. AI cars needed a few though for repairs - but curiously, that misplaced flag did not affect them, only me. They could pit as usual.

So it should be fine now.
Hi guys,

I did some improvements to and fixed some bugs of Brands Hatch - GP, Brands Hatch - Indy and Watkins Glen.

Changelog for Brands Hatch - GP v0.7:
- Fixed pit exit bump
- Realistic pit exit layout and heights
- Realistic elevations at Pilgrim's Drop
- Realistic Clearways second apex verge

Changelog for Brands Hatch - Indy v0.7:
- Fixed pit exit bump
- Realistic pit exit layout and heights
- Realistic Clearways second apex verge

Changelog for Watkins Glen - Grand Prix v0.7:
- Fixed bumps on straight between T7 and T8
- Realistic bankings in all corners
- Improved CC-line
- Improved run-off layouts

As for the future... Hermanos Rodriguez (1970) coming soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2012 10:58PM by Atticus..
thanks for the updates atticus! cant wait for hermanos rodriguez!
And I downloaded those track yesterday lol ;) Oh and the link to Paul Ricard 2012 doesn't work too ;-)
Briere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I downloaded those track yesterday lol ;) Oh
> and the link to Paul Ricard 2012 doesn't work too
> ;-)

They are more realistic now. :) Although I'm still not satisfied with the CC-line at The Glen. The ideal line is improved, but overtaking somehow became more difficult for the AI.

I uploaded the Ricard again, thanks for the notice. :-)

As for the Hermanos Rodriguez... In the past, before the mid-1980s the first corner sequence was not the current, uncharacteristic right-left-right, but a decreasing radius right followed by a sharp left. It was immensely hard to nail the braking perfectly, because the track just kept sweeping away from you to the right and tightened drastically at the end. Also, on the upper parts, where now there is a double right, the road went straight ahead and ended in an extremely tight hairpin followed by a tight and quick left-right flick. Finally, the infamous Peraltada had a 9° banking instead of the current 3°.

The changes in the 1980s practically eliminated two of the three most characteristic corners of the track - the first turn and the hairpin - although one can argue that a less-banked Peraltada is more of a challenge today, because it is harder to do it flat-out.
Atticus. Wrote:
> The changes in the 1980s practically eliminated
> two of the three most characteristic corners of
> the track - the first turn and the hairpin -
> although one can argue that a less-banked
> Peraltada is more of a challenge today, because it
> is harder to do it flat-out.

At least they left [most of] the roads there. But a more recent Google Map view shows that they built something over the run into and out of the hairpin :( [goo.gl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2012 01:55AM by Briere.
Briere Wrote:
> Atticus. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The changes in the 1980s practically eliminated
> > two of the three most characteristic corners of
> > the track - the first turn and the hairpin -
> > although one can argue that a less-banked
> > Peraltada is more of a challenge today, because
> it
> > is harder to do it flat-out.
>
> At least they left the roads there. But a more
> recent Google Map view shows that they built
> something over the run into and out of the hairpin
> :( [goo.gl]

Yes, it looks like a garden or something with some large hangars or something like that. Bizzarre to see on a former race track ribbon. :-)

But luckily, one can quite easily locate where the actual road ran before - I used this map to create a precise layout mainly. I also used a number of YouTube videos for further references. Thankfully, I managed to get a reasonably realistic layout of what was the old Turn 1 as well, because - as you said - most of the roads are still there. Even if not, you can spot the path of the old track in the grass clearly at Turn 1 - it visibly differs in pattern to the surrounding grass area. It was a lot of fun recreating the thing as it was.

Another unusual feature of the Hermanos Rodriguez were the tyres, half of them melted in the asphalt, used as 'kerbs'.

[25.media.tumblr.com]

Also, the verges were asphalted completely, making the track wider at places. (In the 1980s, the track was widened to incorporate these verges.)

They were in use until 1967 (they were also used at Riverside until the 1970s) and a still unorthodox kerbing followed for 1968:

It had the strange nature that you could ran over it in some corners, but not in others. The CC-line accomodated this phenomenon, so keep an eye on that one, when the track comes out.
Google Earth shows this from September 2000 ;-)

Wow, thanks. I haven't seen this before, I only relied on Google Maps. But, yeah, this basically confirms that the assumptions I made based on the Maps on where the road was were right.

That was such a challenging corner - you can see the way it tightened. It began very very timidly, very smoothly and then progressed greatly. It was kind of an 'in your face'-type of corner. :-) Of course, you can also see that there was absolutely zero run-off and not much room to make one.

Thanks again, this is a really interesting picture. :-)
You're welcome ! I'm always glad to help ;-)
The Indy Cars used the original T1 with the races in 1980 and 1981.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
The 1968 version of Hermanos Rodriguez is released in the first post.

Interestingly, you will not find much under the terms 'hermanos rodriguez 1968', because the track was only re-named after the Rodriguez brothers in the 1980s. Before it was called the rather feminine Magdalena Mixhuca.

Here is an 1970 video from a Formula Ford event, which helped me tremendously during the track making process. I also used the above video on the 1968 GP as well among others.

As I said aside from the asphalt verges, this track was unique because of its tyres used as 'kerbs', as you can see in GPL, which models 1967. This arrangement was finally discarded for 1968 and these still very unusual lower kerbs were installed, which you would safely cross at certain places, but which spit you out of the track if touched in other places.

Although the base of this one, Indianapolis is the single smoothest track in the original GP4 (not the best slot choice, I know, but I only got to know this magic data parameter recently thanks to TomMK), I applied a pretty aggressive randomization in GP4 Builder to the track surface, to make it more bumpy as was/is the real thing.

There is something else I wanted to notice, but I just can't recall it now........ :/

OK, just enjoy it! :-)

P. S.: I will update this thread with a plan for the future, which might hold some positive surprises and maybe one negative.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy