Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
drt01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As promised here is the beta layout for Hockenheim
> 1968. Based on gp4 original layout
----------------------------------

Looking at the screen shot of the old track it looks nice, but one thing seems wrong to me.
The fence. In -68 there was not many fences around a track and at hockenhiem I'm pretty sure
there was non in the forest part. Maybe in the stadium section at some places.
At the crash site where Jim Clark crashed there was no fence for sure.
Then If you find any fence around in some places they should not be rusty.
They would be more or less new and probably painted grey or white

U/
Alesi_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> drt01 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As promised here is the beta layout for
> Hockenheim
> > 1968. Based on gp4 original layout
> ----------------------------------
>
> Looking at the screen shot of the old track it
> looks nice, but one thing seems wrong to me.
> The fence. In -68 there was not many fences around
> a track and at hockenhiem I'm pretty sure
> there was non in the forest part. Maybe in the
> stadium section at some places.
> At the crash site where Jim Clark crashed there
> was no fence for sure.
> Then If you find any fence around in some places
> they should not be rusty.
> They would be more or less new and probably
> painted grey or white
>
> U/

As the title said it's only a beta version so that means that the layout it's just a base for detailed update, free for everyone who would like to do.

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
Of course in Hockenheim 1968 there were no fences in the wodden part of the circuit, but simply because the GP4 engine does not allow to have no fence ("gates" often lead to weird effects) earlier or later you have to place fences. For my part I like these rusty fences although they may are historicly not quite correct.

It would be so great to collision objects inside the fences...
Re: hasbriale TV video previews of Atticus Tracks...
Date: August 18, 2012 11:51AM
Posted by: hasbriale
Rouen 1972 - video on post # 5
@hasbriale: Thank you very much. :)

As for the fence issue, is it possible to have transparent textures used as fences. It would replicate the look, if not the feel.
Hi all,

For Spa 1979, see 1st post. :-)

I originally scheduled to release it just before the race weekend, but I will not be online for the next 10 days or so, so I release it now. For a detailed 1979-2001 comparison, see a post on p. 6. I don't know if you have spare time drt01, but I'd appreciate your help with a 3D adjustment as always. I'm sure the rest of the community would do so as well. If you help, please beware the changes of certain run-off areas in the middle sector - some of them were smaller back in 1979, which is reflected in my .dat, but you have to adjust the original .gp4 file to match it.

Next up: Suzuka. The track was built in the classic era in 1962, and it was and is still remarkable. Besides heavily curbed run-off areas, only two layout changes occured to the track since 1983, the version I recreated. One was the introduction of the famous Casio chicane. I bypassed it, so the run from Spoon all the way down to Turn 1 is now flat-out. The other change was the tightening of Degner. Originally Degner was a single, quick, constant radius right-hander, which fitted in well with the increasingly open Esses at their end. As a result you arrived at the hairpin much quicker, time your braking precisely as you can run wide much easier on this configuration.

News for the so-called 'America's Best Road Courses' pack (Riverside 1969, Sears Point 1996, Road Atlanta 1997, Mid-Ohio 2012 - original course, Lime Rock 2012 - original course) too:

- Riverside is finished (well... as long as a beta can be finished). It is awesome, the Esses are now pretty much flat-out, except for Turn 2 with default setup. It needs a quick lift, no room for error, magnificent. Turn 6, 7, 8, 9 are all slow turns and are increadibly tricky, all four of them. Check out maps, descriptions and videos. There is no definitive release date for it, but it will certainly be after the F1 season ended.
- Sears Point is about halfway done. Layout, width, banks, verges, kerbs, elevations are done, angles, pitlane, asphalt run-offs and CC-line are not. The 1996 version featured the original insanely wide S/F straight on the drag strip, and a different, much much more challenging decreasing radius Turn 7 hairpin.

Things will be much more slow once university restarts in September. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 03:18PM by Atticus..
Thanks for this track! Great to see still new tracks beeing released for GP4.

@ Atticus: Do you know why they streched Eau Rouge after 1979? I mead, this made that corner much more dangerous than it was before...
@klausfeldmann: Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :-) Eau Rouge was straightened in 1983 to provide more run-off area with the main aim to make if safer. In fact, they widened the corner on its inside, so the outside of the wide corner - the old surface - plus a little grass provided the mentioned run-off.

[25.media.tumblr.com]

You are absolutely right, that - as it got faster as well - it has, incidentally, got less safe: two years after the modification, Stefan Bellof died there in 1985, after a high speed collision. He basically wanted to do a Webber, only his adversary was not as cautious as Alonso last year.

That's the story.

It was converted to a chicane in 1994, by laying some more asphalt, this time on the outside.

[www.formula1blog.com]

In 1995, they placed gravel on the outside of the wide corner which made it narrower.

[upload.wikimedia.org]

In 2002, they asphalted the run-off and it looks the same since then.

I really like the old version. It was more of a corner than a curve. Slower, perhaps, but had to be nailed more. You can gain very much on the Kemmel straight, if you do it well. If not, well...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 08:38PM by Atticus..
Thanks for this short education in Eau Rouge history ;-). My favourite version is that from 1995 - 1998 with gravel traps and without run-off at the inside. I'm building exactly this old Eau Rouge at the moment and - I admit - I was a little bit disappointed to see your spa version beeing released before mine will be (hopefully at thursday) ;-).
Looking forward to it. Aesthetically, it will be a quadrillion times better than mine, that's for sure. :-)
And again another excellent piece of work! many many thanks again atticus!!!!1
Spa-Francorchamps (1979 Beta 0.5) - Video Preview- Post #5
here to present first preview of Wglen indy version. Based on Atticus .dat i finished the new .dat and started put the layout all around. This could be take a loooooooooooooooooooong time.. so be patience (H)

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
Patience is my middle name !!! (Y)
@thestig88, @hasbriale: Many thanks! :-)

@drt01: Looks awesome. Take your time. ;)
Here's some news:

- The America Pack is shaping up nicely. I already mentioned Riverside Beta is completed, and since then I finished Sears Point as well after a long break in the making process... ...While I visited Le Mans and Reims in France. It was fantastic. Road Atlanta was done in about 4 days. I worked quickly this time. I did a pre-1998 version with the Dip included - the car bottoms out, no matter how I alter the setup, I think it was the most serious elevation change race tracks ever witnessed. Turn 11, right after the Dip is a formidable corner even today, because you aim directly at the sky. Nowadays its full throttle, before 1998 it was anything but. Difficult corner to say the least. This was also the first track where I used actual Google Earth elevation data, and did not trial & errored my way through the elevation-making process. It is quite authentic. Mid-Ohio and Lime Rock is left from the pack. I call it a 'pack' although I will release them separately for you to enjoy and race each of them more. One at a time.

- I began to apply authentic track cams to all my released tracks. I will update all of them, when I'll release Suzuka 1982 next week, right before the GP. Suzuka was actually an old project, but it was really a badly-devised track initially, one of my earliest attempts. It got a facelift.

- I recently discovered via YouTube that Cadwell Park, Oulton Park and Knockhill are not only the best British race tracks, but also some of the best road courses in the whole world. I'm especially fond of Cadwell Park. I plan to do these as well, but I don't know how quickly I will proceed. Cadwell Park will be very interesting. Even Brands Hatch sees minimal amount of overtakes, the about 6m wide Cadwell Park will see close to zero. I like the track anyway. It's nice.
FAAAANTASTIC-........ Bring it on!
The first post received an extensive facelift. It got more streamlined.

I'm happy to announce that

1) All released tracks are now updated with authentic track cameras. It must have been annoying to see improper TV views so far. Sorry for that. Most of them models one particular event from the year of release. A lot of times, I switched to a nearby event in time, in case only that one had proper cams (like Hockenheim - it uses track cams from the 1970 GP). Other times, I used later events if there were 'black holes' on the lap (like Monza - the 1971 GP coverage had holes from Curva Grande to Lesmo 1). Finally, there were times, when I just more liked one particular older or newer cam view on a track (like at the Eau Rouge - I used the most recent cam, because I think that's better than the old one; the others are from the 1983 GP).

2) Monza is updated. The most obvious of the changes is the original 24m-wide S/F straight and the narrower back straight. The former is an obvious and long overdue modification, while the latter was brought about because I set the model year back to 1969, when the straight before the Parabolica was narrower (it was widened in 1971) and the high-speed oval was in use for the last time. This allowed for a clean front straight, not packed with various objects before the end of it, where the high-speed loop begins.

3) Suzuka will be released only a few days before the GP weekend. In 1982, Degner was one constant radius quick right-hander and without the Casio Triangle, the run from Spoon all the way down to Turn 1 was flat-out. Also, the track had noticeably smaller run-offs, which leaves less room for error. You can see a preview of it shortly by hasbriale as usual.

4) The next track to be released will be the old Hermanos Rodriguez with the quick decreasing radius Turn 1, the hairpin up on the other end, a more banked, twitchy Peraltada and a narrower ribbon. It used to be the last round of the calendar in the late 1960s, so I plan to release it towards the end of the year. It is important to note, that it has no relation to the existing 1988 version of the track - I didn't know it is already released. I built my version completely from scratch.

Enjoy, and happy racing. :-)

Edit: Oh, and I also included gp4form.txts for all tracks with additional details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 04:37PM by Atticus..
Thanks Atticus (Y)!
Looking forward to your next track. But to be honest I like today's Degner very much ;-).
Thanks. :-)

Yeah, Suzuka is the kind of track, which was modified in a challenging way. I also like the new Degners. They are a different challenge, as is the chicane.

The old Degner in particular fitted into the track as the continuation of the Esses really. They opened up very nicely by the Dunlop curve, which is Turn 7, only for the Degner to slow the cars down a bit, before they really hit the brakes for the hairpin. It was a fit.

But today, it is, though very different, still good because it is still hard to get right as it tigthens all the way into Degner 2. The way a car handles the Degners today, is a measurement of how well balanced it is. I once read a great F1 Racing article on it.

It's somehow the same with the chicane. Without it the cars really flew through the sweeping last corner onto the straight, which was really how the whole track looked like: it flew, it was relentlessly sweeping. The chicane is similar to the new Degner in that it brings novelty to the track characteristic: no other corner is as tight as the right-left of the chicane on the track, bar the hairpin. It is also infamous of course. I liked it better in its previous configuration till 2003, when it was further ahead, roughly where the motorcycle chicane is nowadays. It was a better overtaking spot: you never knew if you could make up enough ground on your opponent before you reached it. Today, you know you couldn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 07:40PM by Atticus..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy