2010 Canadian Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by matt3454 
Re: 2010 Canadian Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: June 11, 2010 11:43AM
Posted by: nvooght
Looking forward to this race, normally an entertaining event.

Date: June 11, 2010 02:44PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Some Pictures from Canada which I have just found:

2007 would have been added to this list had the scandals not taken place (the 15 points from Hungary would have put McLaren on 218 with Ferrari on 204).

Click here for the full gallery.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 09:13AM by alexf1man.
Date: June 11, 2010 03:27PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
No it wouldn't. Ferrari would've still won had McLaren not been expelled from the championship.
Date: June 11, 2010 03:32PM
Posted by: EC83
Yep, Ferrari did win both Championships that year anyway by about a point or two after their 1-2 at Interlagos.

Date: June 11, 2010 03:50PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It is easy to make that mistake considering the final point scores, but they were also docked some points for the Hungary fiasco, which I myself forgot to consider a few months ago here.

It is quite amazing that McLaren haven't won a constructors title for so long now.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 11, 2010 06:03PM
Posted by: marcl
1999 should have been Mclarens as well, Ferrari got to keep the 1-2 in Sepang and all points gained. I think Mclaren lost points Mika got in Austria due to a seal? cannot fully remember tbh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 06:16PM by marcl.
Date: June 11, 2010 06:34PM
Posted by: senna9194
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1999 should have been Mclarens as well, Ferrari
> got to keep the 1-2 in Sepang and all points
> gained. I think Mclaren lost points Mika got in
> Austria due to a seal? cannot fully remember tbh.

in austria he had a contact with coulthard,but finished 3rd if i remember well.but they could win the title in suzuka,but coulthard retired.So they lost it by 4 points(128 ferrari(schumacher,irvine and salo)and 124 macca(hakkinen and coulthard))

My GPGSL Career
Date: June 11, 2010 06:38PM
The white rectangle is also now gone from the Ferrari, so Marlboro's title sponsorship is all that remains...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 11, 2010 07:00PM
Posted by: gav
Just starting to watch FP1 now, and it looks a lot smoother (several sections have been resurfaced, though primarily on the apex of corners) and they've tarmaced some run-off areas. :(
Date: June 11, 2010 07:13PM
yes, that is disappointing - but at least the barriers are still close, unlike Turkey for example.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 11, 2010 08:07PM
Posted by: harjinator
BBC stream not working... useless so & sos...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: June 11, 2010 08:12PM
Just watching 2nd practise.

Lewis looks like he is gonna crash any second, really throwing the car around. Button is so smooth and faster.

Edit well he was faster lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 08:14PM by marcl.
Date: June 12, 2010 02:43AM
Posted by: Slash
marcl Wrote:
> Just watching 2nd practise.
>
> Lewis looks like he is gonna crash any second,
> really throwing the car around. Button is so
> smooth and faster.
>
> Edit well he was faster lol.

wow, i cant remember when was the last time if at all that i've seen Lewis so frustrated

[f1.gpupdate.net]

it seems as if it was a general probelm with everybody... whoever solves the puzzle will get the prize!! :-P

qualy is going to be interesting, at least we can all watch it.. no world cup game in between! :))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 02:44AM by Slash.
Date: June 12, 2010 03:13AM
Both lewis and MS looked like they were gonna spin at just about ever corner, the way the mclaren is dancing around under power is not very good.

If it is like that on Sunday there are going to be a few safety cars.

What I am finding interesting is HRT have done next to no development work on their car yet they seem on par with Virgin. I think this shows what many people said wind tunnels are still needed and you can not rely on computers.
LH, MS .. their styles of driving is very uncertain and unpleasant yet effective just like senna.

As i hope for saturday afternoon, 1-2Ferrari,3-5Mclaren,4-6 Redbull.
Date: June 12, 2010 06:01AM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> It is quite amazing that McLaren haven't won a
> constructors title for so long now.

Yeah, it does surprise you a bit to see the big gaps between some of their title-winning years too. Because there have been a few years when they only won Drivers' titles(1976, 1986, 1999, 2008) and they've always tended to win races in the other years too and have a fast car for at least part of the season, their list of actual Constructors' titles seems a bit short somehow when you look at it.

marcl Wrote:
> Both lewis and MS looked like they were gonna spin
> at just about ever corner, the way the mclaren is
> dancing around under power is not very good.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lewis in quali and the race. IMO this is Lewis's strongest track on the calendar; if he can whoop the whole field anywhere it'll be here.
I'm looking forward to seeing MS too, this is just the kind of track where he should be able to drag the Merc up above its level. It'll be his best chance so far this season to get a podium.

Speaking of MS, I liked how the mechanics were apparently servicing his car with a Henry the Hoover. :D

Date: June 12, 2010 11:15AM
marcl
What I am finding interesting is HRT have done next to no development work on their car yet they seem on par with Virgin. I think this shows what many people said wind tunnels are still needed and you can not rely on computers.

I think it's too early to judge their system completely. I realise they said that in theory they can design and test parts quicker than those who use more traditional methods, but the system itself has to be improved first.

You have to keep in mind that it's a new process (to F1 any least) and not developed in any way. It's still a very green approach.

They're not a big team. Despite the headline-grabbing title sponsor, there were constant rumours in the winter that they'd need more sponsorship to see out the season.

It looked horrible in the winter (fun, but horrible), but then they had so little running that it was rather difficult to improve the car.

I think there is method in the madness as clearly they're not a million miles behind the other 'developed' new-comer, which has a lot of data from previous teams, but access to a super computer would be of huge benefit to this system, and I'd be staggered if they can afford to rent one. Even Sauber still have one of the best super computers in the sport and when it was built in the early or mid-2000s they were hardly one of the best teams financially.

Had a team like McLaren tried this method they'd have had a lot more success with it, just through the resources they'd have available to them. Looking at Virgin, a McLaren wouldn't have just fallen to the back of the grid - they'd at worst be comfortably in the midfield, which might still have been an improvement over 2009. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 11:17AM by gav.
Date: June 12, 2010 12:06PM
Posted by: chet
It wasnt by choice they have had no tunnel development. It was a cost issue.

I expected more development parts to come out from the team with their method but Lotus really are showing them the way as a team.

And Gav, i thought they had perhaps one of the better computer systems given how crucial it is for their development?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 12, 2010 12:10PM
chet
And Gav, i thought they had perhaps one of the better computer systems given how crucial it is for their development?

I've seen nothing to mention a particular computer setup, but I've certainly never read that they've got a super computer. Like I say, even the smaller independent teams half a decade ago either buy or rent super computers, so not having one is going to severely hamper a team who relies on computers for their entire design and testing process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 12:11PM by gav.
Date: June 12, 2010 01:05PM
gav Wrote:
> Even Sauber still have one of the best super
> computers in the sport and when it was built in
> the early or mid-2000s they were hardly one of the
> best teams financially.

Was this super computer brought in to replace(or help replace) a seriously outdated wind tunnel from circa 1945 which they used to have? If so, I think it would've been built sometime during the 2003 season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy