2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 11, 2010 08:49PM
Posted by: raulongo
2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP

Probably the most famous and recognisable circuit on the F1 Calendar, racing has taken place in the principality since 1929, it was included in the first Formula One world championship season in 1950 and has been an ever-present feature on the calendar since 1955.

The race is considered as a 'must win' race for drivers, as the race is not only technically difficult but also extremely glamorous and high profile. The circuit is one of the most demanding on the calendar with no margin for error as the Armco barriers that line the track are at some points just inches from the cars. Triple world champion Nelson Piquet described the race as similar to 'trying to cycle round your living room'.

The circuit itself has remained virtually unchanged from its original, the Rascasse turn was slightly altered for the 2003 race but the major change was in 2004 when the formerly cramped pit complex was replaced and spectator capacity was increased.

Prior to the race, construction of the circuit takes around six weeks, dismantling takes just three. Monaco is the only race on the calendar not to have a podium; the traditional winners' celebration takes place on the steps of the royal box.

Despite the dangerous nature of the circuit and although there have been numerous serious accidents there has to date only been one death, 1967 when Lorenzo Bandini died as result of burns suffered. The most famous accident must be that of Alberto Ascari, one of only two people to end up in the harbour.

Graham Hill was often referred to as Mr Monaco as he won five races in the 1960s; this record was beaten by Ayrton Senna who holds the record of six wins at the venue.

Previous Winners

2009: J. Button (BrawnGP)
2008: L. Hamilton (McLaren)
2007: F. Alonso (McLaren)
2006: F. Alonso (Renault)
2005: K. Raikkonen (McLaren)
2004: J. Trulli (Renault)
2003: J.P. Montoya (Williams)
2002: D. Coulthard (McLaren)
2001: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
2000: D. Coulthard (McLaren)
1999: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
1998: M. Hakkinen (McLaren)
1997: M. Schumacher (Ferrari)
1996: O. Panis (Ligier)
1995: M. Schumacher (Benetton)
1994: M. Schumacher (Benetton)
1993: A. Senna (McLaren)
1992: A. Senna (McLaren)
1991: A. Senna (McLaren)
1990: A. Senna (McLaren)
1989: A. Senna (McLaren)
1988: A. Prost (McLaren)

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 03:50PM by raulongo.
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 11, 2010 11:20PM
Posted by: marcl
Am pleased that they have raised the curbs, that will stop massa cutting them like he has done the past 2 years.
Date: May 12, 2010 12:58AM
Posted by: chet
Wouldnt be at all supprised to see Webber make it 2 in a row.

imo, for the win it will be between Webber or Lewis.

Mclaren do lack mechanical grip this year but Lewis will hussle that Mclaren limo around with a winning pace imo.

Stategy will interesting here. I expect as soon as the teams spot a gap in the field where the driver can fit in without traffic being a too big issue, they will do that.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 12, 2010 01:38AM
Posted by: Slash
naturally you will have to consider both Red Bulls for the win, but being a driver's circuit, although no one knows how much difference one can make, i think Alonso is going to be very strong as well as Jenson... i think he might surprise a few people including Lewis himself...

expectations for Michael are high as well, but i don't think Mercedes will be able to imrpove that much, poor guys seeem to drive an ambulance atm but he might alter the front order a bit, but with normal circumstances, a podium is out of reach

i'm scared to even think the mess HRT and Virgin cars will cause, not only in qualy but the race itself.... out of all the new teams i think Kovy is the only one who does a good job, the rest don't even know where to put the car
on a positive note, Senna doesn't seem to know how to complete more than 10% of a race distance so... :P
Date: May 12, 2010 02:32AM
Posted by: EC83
Talking about possible Monaco winners:

Lewis Hamilton changes colours in bid to get ahead in Monaco and repeat 2008 Grand Prix success

Lewis Hamilton is hoping a new helmet design will lead to a change of fortune ahead of what he believes could potentially be 'the most exciting and unpredictable Monaco Grands Prix for many years.

'I'll be wearing a specially-painted helmet for the occasion,' said Hamilton on this year's race at Monaco.

'When you see it you'll know why I'll be hoping for it to swing the odds in my favour.'

[www.dailymail.co.uk]
(Apologies for including Daily Fail as the source. It was just the first article that came up on Google.)

I'm really hoping he's not planning on using a copy of Senna's helmet colours. He annoys me enough as it is.

[f1.gpupdate.net]

Same news for people who don't want to read it in the Mail ;)

I'd hope he doesn't go for the Senna look - if not for the fact that I'd expect Bruno would have a few things to say about that...

Thing is, if he's redesigning his helmet to give him more luck - is it to resemble the helmet of other Monaco winners? Well, that'd be Senna and Schumacher, and I think they're already represented (though it wouldn't be the first time that two drivers have sported Schumacher helmets in the same Monaco Grand Prix...) so what then - is he going to adapt the colours of the London Rowing Club???

;)
he might wear a graham hill inspired helmet for monaco luck

Date: May 12, 2010 10:27AM
Posted by: gav
chet
Stategy will interesting here. I expect as soon as the teams spot a gap in the field where the driver can fit in without traffic being a too big issue, they will do that.

I fully expect some to come in after a few laps and hope for an early safety car. So long as the tyres last, they're sitting pretty then.
Date: May 12, 2010 11:07AM
Posted by: chet
The problem comes if theres no saftey car :p

A car could easily get caught up behind a not so slow, but not quick Petrov for example, and easily fall behind the leaders who could easily gain enough time for the pitstop.

How long would the total pit time here be?? 17-20 seconds?? Total pit time last year was 25 seconds.

It should provide us with some different strategies I hope!

And yeah, if Lewis does use a Senna helmet, id be disapointed. This season has been awesome for him, he alone has f*cked up overtaking stats for this season because he's done it so much lol! He'd lose alot of respect if he did use a Senna helmet. However I do not think he is that stupid, not now anyway. 2007 maybe? 2008 probably! 2009 he used his stupidity in Aus, 2010, nah. Same with Hill's helmet. That thing is an icon!

edit - or maybe he's gonna use JB's flourscent helmet :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 11:14AM by chet.
Date: May 12, 2010 11:16AM
Posted by: gav
chet
The problem comes if theres no saftey car :p

A car could easily get caught up behind a not so slow, but not quick Petrov for example, and easily fall behind the leaders who could easily gain enough time for the pitstop.

Yeah, I'm not thinking that this is a strategy for Hamilton and Alonso. More for people like Petrov himself or an STR. Someone who probably won't get any points anyway, so they probably won't lose out by taking a gamble.
Mark Webber video added...

And nice picture of Alonso here...

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 11:56AM by raulongo.
Date: May 12, 2010 12:33PM
Posted by: J i m
torana_05 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he might wear a graham hill inspired helmet for
> monaco luck

That never gave Damon much luck at Monaco ;)

They are adding larger kerbs to stop the drivers cutting the corners. You know what'd work even better? Put the f**king walls back. Those big metal things that f**k stuff up when you drive into them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 12, 2010 12:55PM
I vote Dave for FIA President.

Date: May 12, 2010 01:38PM
Posted by: Morbid
DaveEllis Wrote:
> They are adding larger kerbs to stop the drivers
> cutting the corners. You know what'd work even
> better? Put the f**king walls back. Those big
> metal things that f**k stuff up when you drive
> into them.

LMAO!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 12, 2010 03:02PM
God anything to pick on Lewis lol, he is going for the same design that he won Monaco in I mean it was very clear in what he said was it not.

Dave I agree put the walls back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 03:13PM by marcl.
Date: May 12, 2010 04:13PM
Posted by: Slash
or some spikes... it'll be safer and no one will dare to cut them
Date: May 12, 2010 06:18PM
I wouldn't put it past Kobayashi to be honest.

Date: May 12, 2010 06:52PM
Posted by: EC83
This could be the last good chance for a while for the Maccas and Ferraris to beat the RedBulls in a straight fight, depending on how this track affects the longer wheelbase cars.
And yeah, Merc could have an opportunity to be near the ultimate pace too.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> They are adding larger kerbs to stop the drivers
> cutting the corners. You know what'd work even
> better? Put the f**king walls back. Those big
> metal things that f**k stuff up when you drive
> into them.

LLF! Epic.

Date: May 12, 2010 07:32PM
There you go, you can now stop the bitching :)

[www.pitpass.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy