Posted by raulongo 
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 21, 2010 11:48AM
Posted by: Morbid
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People really are clutching at straws to try and
> hate a man for winning.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 21, 2010 11:54AM
Posted by: chet
The long straight at Canada should help offset Mclarens poor (shite) slow speed performance.

And about tyre wear, its wrong to directly say Button should be (or is) better at managing his tyres, I think when it comes to say transverse graining Button can generally handle it pretty well but otherwise he's no better or worse than Lewis as Mclaren have indeed said it is a myth. (as much as id hate to admit too :p!)

At Canada, brakes will be the issue! And then really I cant really rememeber anyone being good or bad at making brakes last. RedBull have had issues this year so I suspect will ramp up the cooling. But sure am glad Canada is back :D!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 21, 2010 12:18PM
The problem with the Red Bull brakes is not cooling. Conventional F1 design of brakes consists of 2 elements held together to form the disc. Red Bull has made a redesign where the brake is one solid unit. This is not working as planned, as the disc is prone to cracking.

Aren't other cars running that too? It is just a Brembo brake system, a few cars have that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 21, 2010 05:05PM
According to the inside information I have, from what I would consider extremely reliable sources, then no it is not. It IS different from what the other teams have. They have pioneered a new construction method, which either is faulty or bugged.

Date: May 21, 2010 08:45PM
Posted by: marcl
I for one do do dislike Vettel, I just dont think he has shown much yet other than he can win from pole.

When he starts being about to race people then people might give him more credit, remembers back to what people were saying in 2007 :)
Date: May 21, 2010 09:41PM
Posted by: EC83
Always a bit risky IMO to run new technology on fundamental things like brakes before it's been proven to be fully reliable.

Steel brakes FTW. As well as lengthening braking distances, they'd put greater emphasis on driving ability altogether. Anyways...

marcl Wrote:
> When he starts being about to race people then
> people might give him more credit, remembers back
> to what people were saying in 2007 :)

So his win in a Toro Rosso in the wet was nothing special then? And due to the difficulty in overtaking, most drivers tend to finish races in similar positions to the ones they started in.
Not saying I think Vettel is the most aggressive overtaker or racer per se like a Mansell or a Montoya, he isn't as yet. But he's no pussy either.

If you're referring the early reputation he had for crashing, that stemmed from Fuji 2007, which has been discussed to death on these forums and was hardly Vettel's fault. By mid-2008 that was behind him anyway.

I tell ya one thing thats beginning to grate on me slightly is lewis before nearly every gp saying were gonna/ready to take the fight to the cars at the front.

thats his and mclarens job - do you have to repeat it every time? i dont hear alonso constantly saying this?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
I guess Alonso doesn't get interviewed as much as Hamilton does..
Date: May 24, 2010 03:13PM
EC83 you were not here when the stuff was being said in 2007 so I did not mean you. What people said in 2007/08 was that Lewis was average and until he showed he could over take people would not rate him as anyone can win from the front in the best car. Yet some how Vettel is not getting the same said about him, yet we have not seen him be able to get past people.

Vettels win at Monza was special 100% fantastic.

Vettels early rep came from the start of 2007 when I dont think he completed a lap for the 1st 4 races or something like that, not always his fault though. Vettel is a bloody good driver I think you have missed what I was trying to say though. I was just pointing out that some people are raving about vettel for actually doing less that lewis done in his 1st year and yet did not rate him saying anyone can win in the best car etc.
Date: May 24, 2010 04:15PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
What people said in 2007/08 was that Lewis was average and until he showed he could over take people would not rate him as anyone can win from the front in the best car.

I don't recall anyone saying that here.

What I do recall is people asking to reserve opinion until he showed what he was like without the best car or when buried deep into the pack race after race - nothing to do with overtaking, more his attitude and ability when faced with less experienced drivers all around him.

Vettel is different as he started in the mid pack, so we know he could cope well in that environment - stunning in some instances.

The opinion on Vettel's overtaking abilities are still up for question though - I still maintain that the Renault is down on power compared to the cars around them, so any overtaking in the dry is going to be difficult. Added to that the aerodynamics on the car are so damn good they're likely to lose more downforce (percentage wise) following another car than some of their rivals. Taking both points into account it's not a car which is going to be much good at overtaking in the dry, regardless of their overall lap time advantage.

He didn't seem to fair too well or badly in the STR though, and certainly in the wet he's strong at overtaking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2010 04:17PM by gav.
Date: May 24, 2010 06:03PM
^Which is what I meant but you are able to word it better than me :)
Date: May 25, 2010 09:53AM
Posted by: LS.
DaveEllis Wrote:

>
> People really are clutching at straws to try and
> hate a man for winning.

Where did you come up the theory that hatred equates from finding something annoying?

I'll thankyou for not going around assuming that i hate Vettel, when i actually admire him as a professional driver, even if i find his podium celebrations annoying.

That does not equate to hatred, so stop putting words into peoples mouths.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: May 25, 2010 12:37PM
EC83 you were not here when the stuff was being said in 2007 so I did not mean you.

Actually, not meaning to have an argument over this, but I was here back then. I registered in 2007 after lurking for a while; it was only later that I started posting. In fact it was after watching the discussion unfold in the "Hamilton's Japanese win under investigation!" thread that I finally decided to register. I didn't contribute anything to those discussions, no, but did observe them. So... :P

LS. Wrote:
> That does not equate to hatred, so stop putting
> words into peoples mouths.

In fairness, you did describe the guy as "having a gormless grin" and said you'd like to see him kept off the top step of the podium without giving reasons for either, which does imply hatred.

Date: May 25, 2010 06:28PM
^Thats cool but a lot of the Lewis stuff was said near the start of the year until about midway, but I had not seen you post which is why I thought you were not around back then :) Easy mistake to make.
Date: May 25, 2010 07:55PM
Haha yeah, well it never is possible to tell who might be reading this if they aren't posting/logged in :P No worries.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy