2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 17, 2010 04:11PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Wow, very interesting. And very off topic. Maybe you should change your nick to 'RebelWithoutAReason' ;)
Date: May 17, 2010 04:47PM
Posted by: gav
Anyone else getting a deja vu?
Date: May 17, 2010 04:53PM
Posted by: mcdo
F1 races might seem processional, more so without refuelling and lets face it, no F1 car will ever be designed to encourage overtaking, but there's still a world of intrigue in every battle.

I can only see the Schumacher/Alonso situation as a fan. SC in, green flags waved, Alonso falters, Schumacher nailed the pass. SC line 1 not crossed beforehand. A great move at the absolute death that should earn bonus points for Pass of the Day. But the problem is...contradictory regulations?

Even though McLaren left a part loose on Button's car, it's wonderful to see Mark Webber after 2 dominant, consecutive wins, now leading the championship, if only on win difference.

Long way to go, but for Webber there's a far longer way being left behind. If Vettel's wondering what's wrong, he might like, amongst the data plume, to check his teammate's experience.

6 races in with the points equivalent of 1 race win between the top 8 drivers? Can't wait for IstanBull.

Let's hope for a roll of the dice and not a stroll of the rulebook.
Date: May 17, 2010 04:58PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else getting a deja vu?

Deja vu? I'm sure I've read about it somewhere before...
gav Wrote:
> Anyone else getting a deja vu?

I was thinking exactly the same thing, lol.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 17, 2010 05:31PM
Posted by: Morbid
Nononono... Croatia is banned!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Morbid Wrote:
> Nononono... Croatia is banned!

lol

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
one thing im not understanding although I haven't read the whole thread is did the race finish under safety car conditions? If so why didn't the safety take the cars to the start finish line? Why did it peel into the pits?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> one thing im not understanding although I haven't
> read the whole thread is did the race finish under
> safety car conditions? If so why didn't the safety
> take the cars to the start finish line? Why did it
> peel into the pits?

Because the regulations state it must enter the pits.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Morbid Wrote:
> Nononono... Croatia is banned!

who's croatia?

My GPGSL Career
Date: May 17, 2010 06:31PM
Stupid application of a regulation then? Safety car must enter the pits on the last lap, yet while green flags wave, cars must continue to the finish line as if the safety car was leading them?

Why did all the top runners race for the line? Are shoddy race communications to blame?
Date: May 17, 2010 06:49PM
Posted by: EC83
senna9194 Wrote:
> Morbid Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nononono... Croatia is banned!
>
>
> who's croatia?

The forum basket case for a while:

[www.grandprixgames.org] (Just one of many examples)

Managed to be incredibly retarded and deranged all at once. And threw a comically stupid hissy fit once because Morbid pointed out that he was a moron. Banned for over a year now.
Not sure this is the same guy though.

Slash Wrote:

> also quite interesting to see Rubens, and Alonso
> getting away with some of the most clearly
> penalties given whereas Michael recieved one for
> what it was legitimate racing maneuver
>
> even Rosberg tried to pass Alonso, they where all
> racing...

It's not that easy. Apparentley, only Mercedes was racing.

[www.whtimes.co.uk]

The McLaren team had told Hamilton over the radio: “Lewis on the last lap the safety car will go into the pits. The cars will proceed to the line and no overtaking.”

Hamilton replied: “I thought you said we couldn’t pass after the safety car? Michael passed Fernando.”
Funny comment:

[www.guardian.co.uk]

"...and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking."

'as normal, without overtaking' - an unintentional but brilliant critique of modern F1!

LOL
Date: May 17, 2010 08:32PM
Massa was certainly not "proceeding to the line". He was all lit up coming out of Rascasse - not something you'd do if you were just driving for the line. Those guys weren't holding back.
Date: May 17, 2010 08:53PM
Posted by: EC83
Wasn't Alonso sideways coming out of Rascasse too? Or maybe I was just thinking of Massa.

Date: May 17, 2010 09:08PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
EC83: Yes, it looked like Alonso almost hit the wall on the left with his left rear tyre as he was accelerating to catch Schumacher again.
Date: May 17, 2010 09:19PM
EC83
Wasn't Alonso sideways coming out of Rascasse too?

He was, but then he had Schumacher having a run at him, so it's a little different.
I think most drivers thought the race was over. I watched Alonso heating its tyres only once or two during the final lap, and certainly not in the way he uses to (we could expect him also not to put too much stress on them after 77 laps). Radio communication is clear here. At least Hamilton and he thought the race was over. Probably Massa had the same radio communication as Fernando.

But then why some of them started to push at the SC line? My guess. If you notice, Fernando went to the outside of the previous corner, leaving the inner and cleaner side of the previous corner clear. After the corner he sees the green lights, some cars pushing, Michael speeding up, and he starts to push suddenly showing great lack of grip. Same as Massa did. If racing was his intention, he could have gone slower at the entry of that corner to get faster on the output. He could have warmed up his tyres. He just had to put his car in the middle of this corner, whatever the speed, to make sure no one could overtake him (Michael knows this well). Come on, Fernando has made at least 3 errors this year (bad + illegal starts and last saturday's crash), but this is even harder to expect on him.

I'm not saying that the rule is ok, or that Michael doesn't have a point on this. I'm just saying that most drivers thought that the race was over, even if some them decided to race just in case when they saw the green flashing lights. The rule here has to be more clear. You can't wait til the last corner before the SC line to see which color will have the flags past it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2010 10:06PM by marcuzzi.
Funny how that video says Schumacher's lecturing Senna.

@mcdo:

I prefer it much more now without refueling, though I think it'd improve if teams could choose whether or not to pit for tires and also if they could stick to one compound.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy