> > is no way they can let him walk away from this
> one
> > without some kind of punishment.
>
>
> except that the report from the FIA stewards
> concluded that it was unlikely that Alonso knew
> anything about it.

a driver starting from 15th position with fuel only for 13 laps and at track that has no chances to overtake...of course he knew about the plan, why else he would taken stupid strategy like that? he is their number 1 driver, he does know everything that's going on...and alonso and his race engineer had a meeting before the race with
Symmonds where they did talk about the strategy.

Anyway hopefully the whole truth will come out so we will know.
Re: FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP
Date: September 16, 2009 02:49PM
Posted by: chet
Gav, race results and champ results are now fixed I believe.

tbh I would hate to see Renault punished in anyway. This was between 3 people, and 3 people alone.

Now that Flav and Pat are no longer part of Renault, they do not have to attend the hearing. Kinda like Ron Dennis situation ;-)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 16, 2009 02:54PM
Posted by: phantaman
only 3 people? only briatore, symonds and piquet are punished will be more than clear to the fans that fernando alonso knew and participated in this shame... that punish all :p

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 02:55PM by phantaman.
Date: September 16, 2009 02:57PM
Posted by: marcl
I am shocked by this as well tbh, and Piquet told the FIA before he left Renault.

I dont see why Alonso would be punished, yes it turned out he knew what was going on at Mclaren but do you really think he knew about this? They probably just said drive flat out and hope for a safety car. Remember the fuel load is given on Sat and he broke down in quali so there was not much time to think about this plan.

I dont know what to think now tbh.

The FIA will have to punish the team just like when they punished the whole of Mclaren, for me though this is worse.

Did it effect the out come of the world championship, maybe it did as had Massa not had to rush in the pits maybe the errors would not have been made and if they had been made Lewis would have probably won the race.

We will never know the truth as the guys have left the team, they no longer have to answer to the FIA. So the Alonso stuff will never be known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 03:02PM by marcl.
Date: September 16, 2009 03:01PM
Posted by: phantaman
examine the facts... fuel for 14/15 laps in a street circuit? there is no answer to that... alonso must be punished in some way... if not it will be clear that eased to his side

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: September 16, 2009 03:03PM
Posted by: marwood82
vesuvius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> marwood82 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > vesuvius Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Alonso need to be punished, surely he knew
> > > everything about this and he was one of the
> > main
> > > ones to blame also at that McLaren saga so
> > there
> > > is no way they can let him walk away from
> this
> > one
> > > without some kind of punishment.
> >
> >
> > except that the report from the FIA stewards
> > concluded that it was unlikely that Alonso knew
> > anything about it.
>
> a driver starting from 15th position with fuel
> only for 13 laps and at track that has no chances
> to overtake...of course he knew about the plan,
> why else he would taken stupid strategy like that?
> he is their number 1 driver, he does know
> everything that's going on...and alonso and his
> race engineer had a meeting before the race with
> Symmonds where they did talk about the strategy.
>
> Anyway hopefully the whole truth will come out so
> we will know.

i see where you're comming from, but the only person who has even suggested this was Piquet Snr

but as i said, the report presented to the FIA clearly says the stewards found no evidence to suggest that Alonso was in on it. I've no reason to doubt them as i'm pretty sure that they would have investigated it thoroughly.

yes his strategy was odd, but as is pointed out in the report, and odd strategy isn't a suggestion of guilt on its own as it could be explained by his lowly grid position forcing them to try to do something different to the others.(ok we now know the REAL reason behind it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 03:04PM by marwood82.
Date: September 16, 2009 03:04PM
Posted by: vesuvius
surely Alonso would have thought about the amazing luck after the race if he didn't really knew about the piguet thing..but he didn't, he did knew everyting about it but it's hard to proof without the help of Symmonds and Briatore.
Date: September 16, 2009 03:07PM
Yes ok I can see it like that now, but I dont think he new.

Flav could also be out of QPR if he is found guilty.

So piquet probably said if you dont keep me on I will tell the FIA, just like Alonso saying to Mclaren you dont give me no1 status i will tell the FIA lol.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 03:13PM by marcl.
Date: September 16, 2009 03:12PM
Posted by: marwood82
vesuvius Wrote:
> surely Alonso would have thought about the amazing
> luck after the race if he didn't really knew about
> the piguet thing..but he didn't, he did knew
> everyting about it but it's hard to proof without
> the help of Symmonds and Briatore.

but he did comment on his 'amazing luck'

"We were unlucky in qualifying and very lucky in the race," Alonso beamed after the 20th win of his career. "Obviously we started at the back and the first safety car helped me a lot"

unless Symmonds and Briatore now come out and say they discussed the plan with Fernando beforehand, i cannot see him becomming involved.

I'm far from being a Fernando fan, but it does appear that he had nothing to do with this one.
Date: September 16, 2009 03:13PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Wow, shocked now that it has come to light.

Appalled actually. Hope Alonso doesn't get dragged into this, but I've a feeling he will. Although the cynical side to me feels that it is in the FIA's best interest to shield Alonso from the whole affair if they can.
Date: September 16, 2009 03:21PM
Alonso had 14/1 laps of fuel because of the pump failure.

Date: September 16, 2009 03:49PM
Chet he did not make it through to final quali therefore he could start on what fuel load he wanted.
Date: September 16, 2009 04:52PM
Posted by: gav
I've already explained the theory behind starting on a low fuel load. There's no point in doing what everyone else does on such a circuit, filling up the tank (unless you knew you have the biggest tank, ideally by some distance). You have to roll the dice and choose a less optimum strategy in order to get out of sync with the other competitors. If you just copy what everyone did, you'd make up 2 or 3 places max.

Alonso wasn't the only one out of the top 10 to run light - he just had the least fuel of them.

Clearly Renault don't think Alonso was a part of it, as he's still there.... though it probably cements his move away for 2010 if he wasn't already. With Symonds gone, it's not good for Alonso the competitor for 2010 or Alonso the brand.
Date: September 16, 2009 04:57PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Not sure if the fuel load necessarily suggests knowing about the plot.

With a light fuel load, and making a good start, you could gain a few positions; as Alonso did - up to 11th before the stops. It was probably worth a shot, and with absolutely nothing to lose, and the likelihood of a safety car (in general, not in relation to Piquet's one), they could have convinced Alonso to go with this strategy without too much questioning.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 16, 2009 04:57PM
Gav I agree with you, quite often Renault do things different to other teams.

Short 1st stint then a longer 2nd stint, light at the start to try and gain some places. That Renault was on the pace all weekend.
Date: September 16, 2009 05:03PM
Alonso certainly was quick enough for Q3, but didn't he have problems? Then the fuel error?

Date: September 16, 2009 05:11PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
chet Wrote:
> Alonso certainly was quick enough for Q3, but
> didn't he have problems? Then the fuel error?

He broke down in Q2 with a fuel feed problem and qualified 15th. But yes, he was one of the fastest cars that weekend, as he was on top of multiple practice sessions.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 16, 2009 05:17PM
Posted by: tozequio
Alonso's fuel load doesn't mean nothing. Anyone remember the fuel loads for the Monaco Grand Prix? Look at Hamilton, starting very light from the rear of the field. And it's even more odd startegy than in Singapure, as it's even more difficult to overtake in Monaco than in Singapure...

[www.f1fanatic.co.uk]
Date: September 16, 2009 05:19PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Well, reading the press conference for the Singapore GP least year, Alonso mentioned that they were worried about the brakes lasting for only 1 pitstop, thus why a 2 stopper was safer for them. Dunno if that information makes sense, but it was his explanation.

Another important point, that makes me thing that Alonso didn't know about the whole thing. He said he was lucky that Rosberg had gotten a penalty and that Piquet had crashed. Without Rosbergs penalty, Nico would've won the race possibly, as he was quite quick.

Anyway, this whole deal is really weird.
Date: September 16, 2009 05:20PM
Posted by: BeamingSauber07
Alonso told the Stewards who quizzed him that strategy decisions are usually left to the tacticians rather than himself
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy