FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP

Posted by mika19b 
Re: FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP
Date: September 20, 2009 06:19PM
Posted by: Nickv
Does that indicate that you believed the initial stories? Than you were correct! Wow!

Date: September 21, 2009 09:50AM
Posted by: marcl
People did not moan the other year when Alonso, Pedro and Lewis were given immunity even though Alonso and Pedro new they were testing things from Ferrari.

I do not see why piquet should not be gievn immunity, the guy is finished anyway.

If I also remember right Alonso ended up with someone in the Mclaren pit to make sure things were done fairly.

Its been clear that Piquet has been treated the same way Alonso felt he was at Mclaren, but people seem to think this is ok?

I do not think Alonso had any information about what took place so I dont see why the Spanish guy needed to speak out.

Just read that Alonso is being called to answer questions about Flavio's management. Some drivers claim they were only allowed to drive for Renault is they sign to his management company.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 10:30AM by marcl.
Date: September 21, 2009 11:08AM
Posted by: Nickv
In some way it's good that Piquet gets immunity. If the people who make this stuff known (in this case Piquet) don't get immunity, would scandals like these ever come out? I very much doubt it.
Date: September 21, 2009 11:14AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
People did not moan the other year when Alonso, Pedro and Lewis were given immunity even though Alonso and Pedro new they were testing things from Ferrari.

They did moan. And that's a pretty poor comparison. Alonso, Pedro and Lewis did not commit the crime. Piquet did.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 21, 2009 12:14PM
Well Alonso and Pedro did as well, they tested parts of the car that had been designed by Ferrari.

Someone driving a stolen car, knowing that it was stolen, is against the law and they get done for it. So yes Alonso and Pedro were still in the wrong, they still committed a crime :)

But yes I can see the difference.

Piquet put his life, other drivers lives and the public in danger. He can still be taken to court in Singapoure btw.
Date: September 21, 2009 12:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
they still committed a crime

They did not commit THE crime that McLaren were punished for.

However in Piquets case, Flavio and Pat didn't go out and press that throttle down and put it in the wall. But yet they are coming off far worse than Piquet will. It's an utter joke.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 21, 2009 12:20PM
Posted by: Red Sam
>Just read that Alonso is being called to answer questions about Flavio's management. Some drivers claim they were >only allowed to drive for Renault is they sign to his management company.

This is a point that has been raised a few times over the years - an important one too, because anywhere else in the world it would constitute a major conflict of interest, or discrimination against people who did not get the seat because they wouldn't sign with Flav.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: September 21, 2009 12:48PM
Posted by: KeHo85
I think that the three of them should be punished. Piquet for putting people's lives at risk, Flavio and Symonds for conspiring and maybe just give Renault a fine and exclusion from this years championship, but the three who instigated this farce need to be dealt with.
Date: September 21, 2009 01:37PM
Posted by: chet
Sam, was not Trulli a part of Flavs managment at one time? Then obviously after the French GP when things turned sour things changed. he went from beating Alonso to beating.. nobody!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 21, 2009 01:41PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
It was revealed that Snr only happened to know about the incident two days later, Nelson in shame, for two months didn't talk to his son (Nelsinho).
Date: September 21, 2009 02:15PM
Posted by: marwood82
2 year suspended ban

[news.bbc.co.uk]
Date: September 21, 2009 02:16PM
The interesting thing about it all is that it shows how much of a fragile state Jnr's mind was in.

He knew his future at Renault was soon going to end, and performing this incident, I guess you could only assume that he expected to get an idea about his future at Renault. He was under pressure from alot of directions, and probably not thinking right. You could argue that he should have had that pressure on him in the first place, and could a lawyer argue that case? It seemed unknown, it was not asif he was speaking to other teams (because he was not allowed!).

Under pressure drivers make stupid mistakes.

I take back that Piquet should never drive in F1 again because come to think of it, Schumacher has performed several incidents which very easily could have resulted in crashes and endagered other drivers. Again, perhaps decsions made under pressure from him, and it not only happened once for Schumacher ;-)!

It's all could haves. Piquet's crash COULD HAVE included other drivers and been worse than it was.

Schumachers incidents COULD HAVE and DID involve other drivers but thankfullly no injurys.

I would assume the FIA gave Piuqet immunity perhaps based on something similar, when you think about it, from Piquet's part was it really as bad as anything Schumacher/Senna tried to do in their numerous run ins with other drivers? Not really.

edit - "Two year suspened ban for Renault"

Thats good news then I suppose. Not as harsh as they could have been but fair, and allows them to race.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 02:17PM by chet.
Date: September 21, 2009 02:18PM
flavio banned from FIA sanctioned events indeffinatley,

that could really cause him a few issues with both his management company and his ownership of QPR.

The FA have rules regarding being fit and propper to be a director of a football club.
one of those is that you haven't been banned by another recognised sporting body.
Date: September 21, 2009 02:22PM
Ownership of QPR should not be effected. Maybe he can finally sort them out! He's pumped sh*t loads of money in but not really progressed a great deal, potential there though!

Lol @ lifetime ban! Im glad to see the back of him!

5 year ban for Pat. Does that mean from FIA series?? Pat goes to NASCAR ;)!

Date: September 21, 2009 02:24PM
Statement:

"As regards Mr. Briatore, the World Motor Sport Council declares that, for an unlimited period, the FIA does not intend to sanction any International Event, Championship, Cup, Trophy, Challenge or Series involving Mr. Briatore in any capacity whatsoever, or grant any license to any Team or other entity engaging Mr. Briatore in any capacity whatsoever. It also hereby instructs all officials present at FIA-sanctioned events not to permit Mr. Briatore access to any areas under the FIA’s jurisdiction. Furthermore, it does not intend to renew any Superlicence granted to any driver who is associated (through a management contract or otherwise) with Mr. Briatore, or any entity or individual associated with Mr. Briatore. In determining that such instructions should be applicable for an unlimited period, the World Motor Sport Council has had regard not only to the severity of the breach in which Mr. Briatore was complicit but also to his actions in continuing to deny his participation in the breach despite all the evidence.

As regards Mr. Symonds, the World Motor Sport Council declares that, for a period of five years, the FIA does not intend to sanction any International Event, Championship, Cup, Trophy, Challenge or Series involving Mr. Symonds in any capacity whatsoever, or grant any license to any Team or other entity engaging Mr. Symonds in any capacity whatsoever. It hereby instructs, for a period of five years, all officials present at FIA-sanctioned events not to permit Mr. Symonds access to any areas under the FIA’s jurisdiction. In determining that such instructions should be effective for a period of five years the World Motor Sport Council has had regard: (i) to Mr. Symonds’ acceptance that he took part in the conspiracy; and (ii) to his communication to the meeting of the World Motor Sport Council that it was to his “eternal regret and shame” that he participated in the conspiracy.

As regards Mr. Piquet Jr., the World Motor Sport Council confirms the immunity from individual sanctions under the International Sporting Code in relation to this incident, which the FIA had granted to him in exchange for volunteering his evidence.

As regards Fernando Alonso, the World Motor Sport Council thanks him for cooperating with the FIA’s enquiries and for attending the meeting, and concludes that Mr. Alonso was not in any way involved in Renault F1’s breach of the regulations."
Date: September 21, 2009 02:25PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
does suspended mean they can compete in f1 but if they do anything wrong in those 2 years they will get banned?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: September 21, 2009 02:26PM
rapid_f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does suspended mean they can compete in f1 but if
> they do anything wrong in those 2 years they will
> get banned?

yes.

and from the wording of it,

"The WMSC considers that offences of this severity merit permanent disqualification from the FIA Formula One World Championship."

it would seem the penalty on the table should they screw up again is that they'd be banned forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 02:30PM by marwood82.
Date: September 21, 2009 02:30PM
Looks like Kovalainen, Piquet, Webber, GP2, GP3, etc.. Won't renew their superlicenses.

Unless they change managers it seems.
Date: September 21, 2009 02:31PM
Am a bit shocked that there is no fine, but saying that mclaren were not fined until after Hungry when they were taken to the court again.

Tbh they are just trying to keep Renault in the sport.

Flavio will have to leave QPR is the FA take their rules 100%.

Pat could have signed the same deal that Piquet did but for some reason did not.

I am still a bit shocked by it all.

All the drivers Flavio had under contract now need to leave him.
Date: September 21, 2009 02:35PM
i take it from this

"to his communication to the meeting of the World Motor Sport Council that it was to his “eternal regret and shame” that he participated in the conspiracy. "

that Symmonds has confessed then.

i guess that was the final nail in Flavios coffin. (be interesting to see if that statment gets leaked.)

very suprised there was no fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy