Schumi Return

Posted by elpasho2005f1 
Re: Schumi Return
Date: July 31, 2009 02:06PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r

A spring similar to the one that hit Massa. Scary stuff - that looks sturdy.
Date: July 31, 2009 02:13PM
Posted by: gav
senninho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back on topic, Autosport is reporting that Schumi
> is testing an F2007 at Mugello today. To get
> around the testing ban, he borrowed it from F1
> Clienti. One would assume that he didn't pay ;)

They'll probably get a free F2008 soon in return. ;-)

chet Wrote:
> I believe last year, much to my suprise Valencia
> Q2 1st to 10th was about 5tenths.
>
> Thats closer than Hungary this year I think.

I can't say specifically about this race, but remember with the larger field-spread last year, the faster cars were going on the less favourable tyre more often, leading to closer times in Q2 and especially Q1 than might be accurate.
Date: July 31, 2009 02:38PM
Posted by: chet
Ah yeah thats true, but on the most part when its been so close id imagine the quicker cars still not feel safe enough to go for the unfavourable tyre.

Why I was supprised it was so close was because of the length, and because most of the corners are slow, and have largish braking areas I thought the spread would be larger. So your probably right!

As for the spring, was it a coil spring such as pictured? I thought it was the 3rd damper. I used the Williams, and circled it because its well exposed on the Williams...

[img.photobucket.com]

Looking at the rear end of the Brawn it iam amazed at how quite a large object managed to escape. The Brawn is nowhere near as exposed as the Williams...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 31, 2009 02:43PM
Posted by: EC83
I think he could surprise a lot of people. The way he's already throwing himself into re-familiarising himself with driving - and finding characteristic smart ways of circumventing the testing ban - suggests to me that the old spark is still 100% there.

Valencia will be an awkward one for him with the new car + new track situation, that'll be about making the best of a bad job. But after that we have Spa, Monza, Suzuka and Interlagos all coming up. Real Michael tracks. :D

Date: July 31, 2009 03:27PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
FOTA teams alowed Schumi to test the F60.

Today with F2007:

[www.bild.de]
Date: July 31, 2009 04:00PM
Posted by: mcdo
Schumi Fart Wider? Obviously I don't speak Bild.

Aren't drivers allowed, within the test ban, to sprint up and down in straight lines? In which case Schumi can't practice his Mona...coat hanger!
Date: July 31, 2009 04:15PM
chet Wrote:
> As for the spring, was it a coil spring such as
> pictured? I thought it was the 3rd damper. I used
> the Williams, and circled it because its well
> exposed on the Williams...
>
> [img.photobucket.com]
> spring.jpg

Apparently it was the spring (on the damper) marked 1 here.
Date: July 31, 2009 06:08PM
Ah, thanks Gav. I didnt think they used coil springs for the 3rd spring anymore, I thought everyone just used a damper. I think its interesting to note that Rubens said something along the lines of a puncture when he noticed there was something wrong. A few years did not Ferrari have the same issues with their 3rd spring and the drivers saying it was almost a feeling of a puncture, anyone remember?

edit - not too sure what Ferraris problems were!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 06:09PM by chet.
Date: July 31, 2009 06:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Rodrigo007 Wrote:
> FOTA teams alowed Schumi to test the F60.

yes, but the FIA has the final decision.

[en.f1-live.com]

I'm not really sure why they should accept this - Alguersuari needed this opportunity much more than Schumacher, and he didn't get it (although, maybe they didn't apply for it, like Ferrari have). But anyway, if he does get it, it will increase his competitiveness quite a bit probably, and allow him to focus on setup and strategy on Friday at Valencia instead of learning the car. However, the FIA would probably like him to be competitive as it is producing a lot of good publicity, so they could well allow it.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 31, 2009 06:25PM
Posted by: senninho
I'm pretty sure that Toro Rosso just didn't ask.

Date: July 31, 2009 06:29PM
I think its Ferrari just being clever.

Technically a F2007 is not an F1car as defined by the regulations I believe and the its not technically a Ferrari. Its now owned by someone else. Kudos to Ferrari for being clever. As for testing the F60, well FOTA seemed to have accepted and so whats the problem? The teams seem to be okay with it, now we just wait for the FIA.

Im sure if STR would have asked then they would have recieved a yes from everyone also.

Date: July 31, 2009 06:47PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, I suppose you are right, and considering that - I am very surprised Toro Rosso didn't go down this path, although they had a bit less time to organise it. I'm sure Ferrari will also use the very valid argument that they need to see if Schumacher's neck and body holds up.

If the FIA do accept, maybe Renault will also try and do the same thing with Grosjean or whoever replaces Piquet, which seems like only a matter of time.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 31, 2009 07:48PM
Posted by: tripleM
honestly, i'd be very surprised to see Schumacher in an F60 before Valencia

Date: July 31, 2009 07:57PM
Posted by: Monza972
I'd go along the lines of what Ed said. Ferrari has the 4week break to sort all the issues that may arrive with the testing. Compared to STR, they didn't have much time.
Date: July 31, 2009 09:42PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Without getting TOO much on the STR issue, if they didn't apply for Alguersuari to do any testing, then I am mystified. It's not like the Massa situation where the current driver (In this case Bordais) was unable to race or anything, they FIRED him, replaced him with someone who has no F1 experience, then don't give themselves a chance to work something like this out.

Date: July 31, 2009 10:20PM
Likewise, why should they get any testing? It's not like Bourdais was injured like Massa - as you say, they fired him. Bit hard on Alguersuari, but it was the team's decision.

Maybe that's why they didn't apply?
Date: July 31, 2009 10:25PM
Posted by: Slash
resources maybe? Ferrari can set a test in very short period, and they have the tracks available and cars, not sure if Toro Rosso can, beisdes the rules state clearly about the testing ban, probably FOTA agreed to gave them permission knowing that FIA will not allow them, as Shueyfan said they have the last call, not sure what argument Ferrari are running there but i'm curious

i do hope in my own little world that he does tests, comes back full speed and shows his raw pace, but i reckon it'll be hard
Date: July 31, 2009 11:15PM
Posted by: Cyberacer
Ferrari - compared to STR - may set a "force majeure" issue due to Massa's accident that forced a driver replacement.
It's not the same with firing a driver and getting a new one in his seat.
In this second case a lisence for testing to Alguersuari would facilitate STR's decision and also similar decisions by teams wanting to replace a driver in the middle of the season (I didn't say Renault but you thought of it ;) ).
On the other hand allowing a driver to test before entering a race-weekend, allows him to familiarize with car and this contributes to general safety in the track when he will be out driving to the limit among the others.
But, Alguersuari did finished all sessions and the race, so Shumi is at least expected to do the same even without testing.
But if FIA wants a COMPETITIVE Shumi, it will allow him testing no matter what the reasons and the excuses to be released in public...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 11:16PM by Cyberacer.
Date: August 01, 2009 12:15AM
Posted by: senninho
It's shades of Mansell having a shakedown at Brands in '94 really.

Apparently he ran with GP2 slicks, so the times were pretty much irrelevant.

Date: August 01, 2009 12:19AM
Posted by: Monza972
Wait, i just want to clarify this. But doesn't the car (in this case the F2007) remain the property of Ferrari after the season? or do they sell it on or something?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy